Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 4th 2012, 03:42 PM   #1

I Ride: 1199
Solution to hard starts

Some of you may recall that I started a thread about the issues I was having after disconnecting the exhaust flapper valve. I have done some experimenting and the short answer to solving my hard starting problems was to keep the exhaust flapper valve connected.

I have a base bike with the stock exhaust (no slip on or full system) so this has what has worked for me based upon my setup and the current fuel mapping that the bike was delivered with.

With the exhaust valve disconnected I did not notice a smoothing out of the flat spot around 4,000 RPM's. Of course I didn't get the valve closing at the 30 mph range. The bike wouldn't start when the engine was warmed up: coolant temps between 200-220. To get the bike started I had to open the throttle and hit the starter simultaneously; the bike would start and then immediately die. I would have to repeat and keep the throttle open until the engine stabilized and would idle on its own. Once idling by itself it would run rough.

With the valve connected I was able to start the bike no matter what condition it was in. With the engine cold she starts in about 1.5 seconds of the starter turning. Engine warm, say 30 min to an hour after a ride, bike starts with just thumping the starter in about 2.0 seconds. With the engine really warm with coolant temps of around 215-220 and bike shut off for approximately 3 minutes, like when I am fueling up, I thumb the starter and it takes approx. 2-2.5 seconds and she fires right up. After she starts idle speeds are steady and smooth.

I am not saying that this will work for everyone but it has worked for me so that valve is going to stay connected.

Old Jun 4th 2012, 04:07 PM   #2

Thanks for the info DD, keeping mine hooked up until the aftermarket catches up.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Phl

I Ride: Monster S4RS, CRF450, CRF50, GROM
I reconnected the valve also and had no starting probs any more. the characteristics also doesn't feel different, so I will keep it on.

thanks for your heads up!
Old Jun 4th 2012, 06:12 PM   #4

I Ride: Panigale 1199S ABS
I have had mine disconnected for 300 miles ( of hard back road riding ) and it transformed the bike for me eliminating the flat spot. My bike has never failed to start or have a hard start in any condition.

Very odd how different all the bikes seem.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 07:02 PM   #5

I Ride: 1199
Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
I have had mine disconnected for 300 miles ( of hard back road riding ) and it transformed the bike for me eliminating the flat spot. My bike has never failed to start or have a hard start in any condition.

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust of any type? I am also wondering if altitude is adding another variable for our different experiences. I live up high at 7500 ft and ride up to 9000 and up.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 07:47 PM   #6

I Ride: 2012 1199 Base/ABS
Thats funny though. I never disconnected my cable and on two occasions now I have had a hard time starting it.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 08:10 PM   #7

I Ride: Full Custom Victory Hammer, Arlen Ness Victory Vision,2007 R1, Husaberg 570,Ducati 1199 S

+1
Old Jun 4th 2012, 08:12 PM   #8

I Ride: '19 V4 w/ MotGP livery, '07 1098s TriColore '05 999 CYBOR9, '05 HONDA 600RR REPSOL

I too have had my cable disconnected since 60 miles on dash, currently at 820.

Doing so has eliminated my flat spot also and smoothen low speed cruising.

last week I also experience some hard starts and even engine shut off while in nuetral...Hasnt happened since Saturday and I ride everyday. My exhaust valve will remain disconnected.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 08:14 PM   #9

I Ride: Panigale 1199S ABS
Originally Posted by Ducati Dreams View Post
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust of any type? I am also wondering if altitude is adding another variable for our different experiences. I live up high at 7500 ft and ride up to 9000 and up.
No completely stock, but yeah holy smokes 7500 can make a HUGE difference. I am at 1000 > 1500
Old Jun 4th 2012, 09:59 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Theefiveoh View Post
Thats funny though. I never disconnected my cable and on two occasions now I have had a hard time starting it.

I've had a few instances of hard starting with the cable connected to my exhaust's flapper valve when new with around 600kms...so did my buddies with their stock Panigale's exhaust with almost 1,000kms...

When I disconnected the flapper valve...I "still" have the hard starting issues. I think it has nothing to do with the flapper valve as the flapper valve is just there for noise restrictions. The flapper Valve stays open upon start up and shuts closed a bit, somewhere between 2,500rpm - 4,000rpm. Obviously this is just for noise restrictions.

Most of my buddies who have stock exhaust have the same hard starting issues. BUT my other 2 buddies who have termignoni slip-ons never had any starting issues. Maybe this is due to the different mapping supplied by termignoni for them to upload (via USB flash drive supplied) onto the bike's ECU.

Well, that's what I experienced so far and noticed...

Miguel
1199 "S" w/ ABS
All Stock.
Manila, Philippines

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
hard, solution, starts