Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree2Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 7th 2012, 07:08 AM   #1

1199 oil filter location

Anyone know where the oilfilter is located? I'm about to hit my 1st 1,000km Oil Service schedule. I know the service will be done by the Dealer...but when I removed my fairings to clean my bike after a ride...I was wondering where the oil filter was located.

I didnt seem to see any spin-on type oilfilter anywhere. I assume the oilfilter is a cartridge type unit located just below the shifter?

Miguel
Manila, Philippines

Old Jun 7th 2012, 07:19 AM   #2

I Ride: '19 V4 w/ MotGP livery, '07 1098s TriColore '05 999 CYBOR9, '05 HONDA 600RR REPSOL
Left side just bellow stator case, small round cover....plug below between exhaust cans
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Retired

paper element filter inside the sump.

Originally Posted by mig1199 View Post
Anyone know where the oilfilter is located? I'm about to hit my 1st 1,000km Oil Service schedule. I know the service will be done by the Dealer...but when I removed my fairings to clean my bike after a ride...I was wondering where the oil filter was located.

I didnt seem to see any spin-on type oilfilter anywhere. I assume the oilfilter is a cartridge type unit located just below the shifter?

Miguel
Manila, Philippines
Attached Thumbnails
1199 oil filter location-untitled.jpg  
Old Jun 9th 2012, 02:08 AM   #4
SPJ

Has anyone changed the oil filter yet?

Have dropped the oil and have a new filter ready to go but buggered if I can get the filter cover off... tempted to leave it, don't want to do any damage.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 03:08 AM   #5

Where did you find the manual image.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 03:52 AM   #6
Retired

It's in the spare parts catalogue, this manual and the owner's manuals are available online free from ducati (no service manuals tho)

Ducati

Right hand side of the page fill out the information from the drop down menus to get the bike/manual you need.

Chris

Originally Posted by oblong View Post
Where did you find the manual image.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 06:07 AM   #7

I Ride: GSX-R750R LTD, 888, 916, 999R, 1199S Tri, RC51, RS250, Z1000SX, ZX7R M2, ZX7RR N1, WR426F
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
Has anyone changed the oil filter yet?

Have dropped the oil and have a new filter ready to go but buggered if I can get the filter cover off... tempted to leave it, don't want to do any damage.
I've changed the oil twice so far.

To get the cover off, you need to remove the two bolts that hold the cover on. Get a long #2 head screwdriver and a small piece of wood or something else to serve as a fulcrum point that won't mar the engine finish on the engine. Work the bottom edge of the cover prying it alternately towards each end of the cover to gently work the cover free. Do not pry the ears of the cover as they can break off (according to my dealer).

I also cover the portion of the silencers directly under where the cover is, forming a kind of funnel with aluminum foil to keep the oil that will come out from getting on the silencers.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 06:18 AM   #8
SPJ

Originally Posted by Ray916MN View Post
I've changed the oil twice so far.

To get the cover off, you need to remove the two bolts that hold the cover on. Get a long #2 head screwdriver and a small piece of wood or something else to serve as a fulcrum point that won't mar the engine finish on the engine. Work the bottom edge of the cover prying it alternately towards each end of the cover to gently work the cover free. Do not pry the ears of the cover as they can break off (according to my dealer).

I also cover the portion of the silencers directly under where the cover is, forming a kind of funnel with aluminum foil to keep the oil that will come out from getting on the silencers.
Thanks Ray - still can't get it off though! Does yours pop off fairly easily? I can get a screwdriver in behind it, work the edge of it but it doesn't want to move and if I push any harder I'm going to either take lumps out of the engine case or snap the cover. There is a fair bit of loctite around the bolts, I'm beginning to wonder if it hasn't spread around the casing...
Old Jun 10th 2012, 06:52 AM   #9

I Ride: Panigale 1199S ABS
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
Thanks Ray - still can't get it off though! Does yours pop off fairly easily? I can get a screwdriver in behind it, work the edge of it but it doesn't want to move and if I push any harder I'm going to either take lumps out of the engine case or snap the cover. There is a fair bit of loctite around the bolts, I'm beginning to wonder if it hasn't spread around the casing...
They are extremely tough to remove, its a horrible design.

Grab a wood dowel or brass punch and gently tap a corner to try and get it to spin just a little and then spin the other way, this will break the tension.

Then take two long screw drivers and using some cardboard to protect your motor try and pry equally on both ends with a rocking motion.

It will start to come loose. Its a long cylinder that fits into the hole so it must come out even for the most part, the two o'rings is what you are fighting. They have not used a sealant and loctite did not get in the seem as they paint it on the end of the bolt and it is allowed to dry.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 07:18 AM   #10

Originally Posted by zvez View Post
paper element filter inside the sump.

Thanks zvez...that info helped a lot...as I will do my own oil changes between 1000kms - 10,000kms.

Miguel

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
1199, filter, location, oil