Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree7Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 12th 2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Gunny Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: NOVA

Posts: 3,279
Thanks: 1540

P and F Setting Question

Just taking a shot to see if anyone has done this intentionally or by mistake, please dont quote the manual because I already know what it states:

Has anyone ridden with a passenger while the rear suspension setting was in the "F" position? If so were there any difficulties seen or felt?

Tango Yankee!
Thanks from BigBoost
Gunny Fitz is offline  
 
Old Jun 12th 2012, 09:59 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Atlanta

Posts: 186
Thanks: 5

Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post
Just taking a shot to see if anyone has done this intentionally or by mistake, please dont quote the manual because I already know what it states:

Has anyone ridden with a passenger while the rear suspension setting was in the "F" position? If so were there any difficulties seen or felt?

Tango Yankee!
I rode in F with a passenger for about 2 miles. Never exceeded 50mph but it felt good in all respects. It felt even more responsive because the weight added to the input. No real problems noticed but then again too short of a distance.
lsberrios1 is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Clarksville TN

Posts: 47
Thanks: 0

I Ride: 1199 Panigale S
Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post
Just taking a shot to see if anyone has done this intentionally or by mistake, please dont quote the manual because I already know what it states:

Has anyone ridden with a passenger while the rear suspension setting was in the "F" position? If so were there any difficulties seen or felt?

Tango Yankee!
Yep. I kept mine in F for the first 600 miles. Rode with a passenger quite a bit. You can tell the difference in corners and such but not much difference on smooth highways.
ducatiguy136 is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Gunny Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: NOVA

Posts: 3,279
Thanks: 1540

This is all great news. Wonder why the hell they flag it in the manual and say riding a passenger in F can cause instability or loss of control then?
Would love a formal response on this from anyone who may know. I know there are some serious technical engineer types on here! - lol.
Gunny Fitz is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Andy1199's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: UK

Posts: 162
Thanks: 2

I Ride: 1199 Tricolore, Multistrada Pikes Peak, 748R
Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post
This is all great news. Wonder why the hell they flag it in the manual and say riding a passenger in F can cause instability or loss of control then?
Would love a formal response on this from anyone who may know. I know there are some serious technical engineer types on here! - lol.
Because if you hit a pothole, it will throw them out of the seat, it threw me out of the seat and I was on the front seat! I did 100 miles hard today in P and its miles better, no more banging and jumping on uneven roads, doesn't feel any different on smooth ones.
Andy1199 is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Gunny Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: NOVA

Posts: 3,279
Thanks: 1540

Read that 3I times and still not sure I understand it buddy.
Gunny Fitz is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2012, 03:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Andy1199's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: UK

Posts: 162
Thanks: 2

I Ride: 1199 Tricolore, Multistrada Pikes Peak, 748R
Ok in F it was extremely hard, hit anything uneven and it was hard to stay in the seat, had I had a pillion on it would have been worse, it bucked and kicked. In P it's much more complient, it tracks better and doesn't buck or kick. We have poor roads in the UK and F was really hard work.

My point about P was that on super smooth Tarmac it felt no worse than F so I dont see the point of F on the road. Off to have it set up professionally next week in P and will try one up and two up and let you know.
Andy1199 is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
doctorj's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: ptown, Oregon

Posts: 137
Thanks: 5

I Ride: Panigale 1199S ABS
Lets clear up what this does.

Linear (F) vs progressive (P)

Linear is a 1:1 ratio, so if the "swing arm" moves 1" then then the shock moves an equal amount. ( not 1' ) If you broke down the movement of the rear shock into 4 1" movements you will always get the same movement at the shock shaft every inch.

Progressive is just that progressive. Rising rate or falling Rate

So if we move the swing arm 1' every additional inch we move the rear swing arm the shock shaft will not move relationally.

So the first inch of swing arm movement lets say the shock moves 1', then the next inch of swing arm travel it may move .5'. (2:1)

This is a bit tough for me to explain, hopefully that makes some since.

So how does this effect your bike in the real world.

If your going along and hit a bump with a passenger in flat ( F = Linear ) then your shock cannot move as much as you may need based on the spring.

If the same bump came along and your in progressive ratio then the shock is allowed to move more for the same swing arm deflection. Hence softening the ride.

A flat curve is always better in controled environments and properly setup for the bike load. However the motorcycle is sold and its anyone's guess what load it will be put under, by load I mean weight it has to carry. So a progressive ratio is best.

Regarding your concern, Ducati is worried the bike will get very upset if the swing arm is not dampened properly causing rider to loose control.

The rear spring is calculated for a 200lb rider, now what happens when you throw another 150 lbs or more at it, the spring can no longer work as expected so leverage must be used to accommodate the extra load.
Thanks from BigBoost, quackquack and Redfox
doctorj is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2012, 04:54 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Gunny Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: NOVA

Posts: 3,279
Thanks: 1540

P & f

Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
Lets clear up what this does.

Linear (F) vs progressive (P)

Linear is a 1:1 ratio, so if the "swing arm" moves 1" then then the shock moves an equal amount. ( not 1' ) If you broke down the movement of the rear shock into 4 1" movements you will always get the same movement at the shock shaft every inch.

Progressive is just that progressive. Rising rate or falling Rate

So if we move the swing arm 1' every additional inch we move the rear swing arm the shock shaft will not move relationally.

So the first inch of swing arm movement lets say the shock moves 1', then the next inch of swing arm travel it may move .5'. (2:1)

This is a bit tough for me to explain, hopefully that makes some since.

So how does this effect your bike in the real world.

If your going along and hit a bump with a passenger in flat ( F = Linear ) then your shock cannot move as much as you may need based on the spring.

If the same bump came along and your in progressive ratio then the shock is allowed to move more for the same swing arm deflection. Hence softening the ride.

A flat curve is always better in controled environments and properly setup for the bike load. However the motorcycle is sold and its anyone's guess what load it will be put under, by load I mean weight it has to carry. So a progressive ratio is best.

Regarding your concern, Ducati is worried the bike will get very upset if the swing arm is not dampened properly causing rider to loose control.

The rear spring is calculated for a 200lb rider, now what happens when you throw another 150 lbs or more at it, the spring can no longer work as expected so leverage must be used to accommodate the extra load.
AHA! I knew there would be someone out there to break it down like a pro! Thank you Doctor! Now, I am about to break my own request that I listed at the beginning of this post. I am going to paste exactly what our manual states. Then I am going to log off and completely slap myself about the head for answering my own questions. I went out and looked at my bike and it seems I had it the correct way for passenger riding all along!!! ughhhhhh

Disregard the Motorcycle USA Shootout results. We all know where we stand!


Changing the motorcycle track alignment
(fig. 154, fig. 155)
Motorcycle setup is the result of tests carried out under different riding conditions by our technical staff.
Modifying factory setting is a very delicate operation, which may lead to serious damage if performed by someone who is unskilled.
The rider can modify setup according to his/her needs by changing working position of the shock absorber.

Important
The FLAT position (F) allows for different track alignment, as on the racing versions.

The PROGRESSIVE position (P) is recommended with a passenger aboard.
Warning: Using the vehicle set to Flat with a passenger aboard may result in vehicle instability.
Gunny Fitz is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2012, 08:21 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
elitesoldier357's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Lansing, Michigan

Posts: 707
Thanks: 81

I Ride: Ducati 1199 Base Model
Soooooo... better to have it setup to Progressive for the street? I know I plan on having LOTS of women on the back of my Panigale So probably best to have it switched over to Progressive tomorrow when I have it serviced right?
elitesoldier357 is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
question, setting



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension Question 1199S? LDucati 1199S Ducati 1199 10 Jul 27th 2013 07:43 AM
Hello, and a Question McLaren12C Ducati 1199 15 Oct 1st 2012 06:30 AM
Silly Question Sam59r Ducati 1199 10 Jun 10th 2012 03:51 PM
stupid question narwhal Motorcycle Talk 11 Mar 23rd 2012 03:47 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed