Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 12th 2012, 07:06 PM   #11

I was wondering just how loud the Panigale was....105 seems about right. With stock exhaust it's far louder than my Leo Vince'd 675.

Old Jun 12th 2012, 07:50 PM   #12

I Ride: Ducati 1199 S Tricolore, Ducati 1098 S Tricolore, Ducati 998 S Bayliss
I guess having a 1199 bike and being a LIFE Member of the California 1199 Foundation is kind of slightly ironic.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 08:14 PM   #13

I Ride: 1199 panigale + ABS
I can't imagine them enforcing this law, they would have to get ride of 90% of the harleys and that is an American institution...
Old Jun 12th 2012, 10:05 PM   #14

I Ride: 1199 Panigale S
Originally Posted by pedrin View Post
I can't imagine them enforcing this law, they would have to get ride of 90% of the harleys and that is an American institution...
Loud Harley's are probably why they created this lame-ass law.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 11:05 PM   #15

If it makes my ears bleed when those twats with the straight through systems ride past, for all of about 3 seconds, how the hell do they sit on top of them and not feel like it's some form of torture? My ears would be ringing for weeks.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 05:31 AM   #16
Phl

I Ride: Panigale, CRF450, CRF50, GROM, bionicon supershuttle
Originally Posted by zaster View Post
I feel for you mate. That's why I moved to the US....no regrets....motorcycle wise that is
big time~!
Old Jun 13th 2012, 05:49 AM   #17

I Ride: 1199 Panigale S Tricolore and an 848
I think my bike has a sticker on the headstock (next to the VIN) that says it's tested to 104 Db. You guys not got one of those???
Old Jun 13th 2012, 06:59 AM   #18

Originally Posted by Delta One View Post
I think my bike has a sticker on the headstock (next to the VIN) that says it's tested to 104 Db. You guys not got one of those???
Could you post a picture of your sticker and location please, thanks in advance.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 07:54 AM   #19

I Ride: 2012 1199 Base/ABS
Originally Posted by CaliDuc View Post
I guess having a 1199 bike and being a LIFE Member of the California 1199 Foundation is kind of slightly ironic.
That is funny! Are you LE or is someone in your family?

When reading the section, the things that stuck out the most to me were these two snippits:

"A violation of this section shall be considered a
mechanical violation and a peace officer shall not stop a motorcycle
solely on a suspicion of a violation of this section. A peace officer
shall cite a violation of this section as a secondary infraction."

"This section is applicable to a person operating a
motorcycle that is manufactured on or after January 1, 2013, or a
motorcycle with aftermarket exhaust system equipment that is
manufactured on or after January 1, 2013."

Like someone else already pointed out, cops are not supposed to pull you over solely for loud pipes, they have to pull you over for something else. The shitty part about it is you will get a ticket with two infractions on it instead of one if he/she were to pull you over just for loud pipes.

The second snippit means your motorcycle has to be manufactured after Jan 1, 2013, or your current bike is fitted with pipes that are manufactured after Jan 1, 2013.

So, basically, our 2012 and older bikes should be ok, BUT make sure to buy your pipes either before Jan 1, 2013 or make sure they were manufactured before that date when purchasing them. Your pipes are supposed to have some "label" affixed to them. Current federal law says our pipes are supposed to have "a label affixed onto the motorcycle or exhaust emission system indicating that the motorcycle or exhaust emission system
meets the noise emissions standards".

If you read CVC 23130(a)(2), it says your bike's exhaust isnt to exceed 86 dbA.

Basically, the state is making it damn near impossible to have an aftermarket exhaust. The bill that is taking effect in January sounds like it is reitterating current law, but making it more specific.

My advice, don't ride like a dick and don't be a dick to the cop if/when you get pulled over. 9 times out of 10 if you are respectful, honest, and aplogetic to the cop, he likely won't give you a ticket. Unless you get pulled over by CHP, then you're fucked.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 08:02 AM   #20

Originally Posted by Theefiveoh View Post
That is funny! Are you LE or is someone in your family?

When reading the section, the things that stuck out the most to me were these two snippits:

"A violation of this section shall be considered a
mechanical violation and a peace officer shall not stop a motorcycle
solely on a suspicion of a violation of this section. A peace officer
shall cite a violation of this section as a secondary infraction."

"This section is applicable to a person operating a
motorcycle that is manufactured on or after January 1, 2013, or a
motorcycle with aftermarket exhaust system equipment that is
manufactured on or after January 1, 2013."

Like someone else already pointed out, cops are not supposed to pull you over solely for loud pipes, they have to pull you over for something else. The shitty part about it is you will get a ticket with two infractions on it instead of one if he/she were to pull you over just for loud pipes.

The second snippit means your motorcycle has to be manufactured after Jan 1, 2013, or your current bike is fitted with pipes that are manufactured after Jan 1, 2013.

So, basically, our 2012 and older bikes should be ok, BUT make sure to buy your pipes either before Jan 1, 2013 or make sure they were manufactured before that date when purchasing them. Your pipes are supposed to have some "label" affixed to them. Current federal law says our pipes are supposed to have "a label affixed onto the motorcycle or exhaust emission system indicating that the motorcycle or exhaust emission system
meets the noise emissions standards".

If you read CVC 23130(a)(2), it says your bike's exhaust isnt to exceed 86 dbA.

Basically, the state is making it damn near impossible to have an aftermarket exhaust. The bill that is taking effect in January sounds like it is reitterating current law, but making it more specific.

My advice, don't ride like a dick and don't be a dick to the cop if/when you get pulled over. 9 times out of 10 if you are respectful, honest, and aplogetic to the cop, he likely won't give you a ticket. Unless you get pulled over by CHP, then you're fucked.
Hi Theefiveoh,

I very much agree with all your observations. As you state "If you read CVC 23130(a)(2), it says your bike's exhaust isnt to exceed 86 dbA", so that may be an issue for a Panigale with TERM' anywhere in California !!!

I am indeed a Life Member of the 1199 Foundation. I am aware that driving like a dick will almost certainly get one booted out the foundation.

Last edited by CaliDuc; Jun 13th 2012 at 08:05 AM.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
california, exhaust, important, law, loud, motorcycle, pipes, sb435

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.