Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

View Poll Results: Which 1199 do you plan on buying?
Standard 1199 240 39.80%
1199 S 267 44.28%
1199 Tricolore 96 15.92%
Voters: 603. You may not vote on this poll

Thanks Tree5Thanks
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:22 PM   #11

I Ride: 1199 ABS
Mines a Base ABS model and will be loaded with accessories from the DP catalogue!!!!

Last edited by Desmo Dave; Nov 29th 2011 at 03:03 PM.

Old Nov 14th 2011, 05:15 PM   #12

Anyone know what the difference is with the base model headlights and the S/Tricolore full LED headlights?

and an “Aero kit”, which consists of an additional wider fairing top-section.

Are there any pictures of the aero kit yet?
Old Nov 14th 2011, 05:36 PM   #13
duc
Admin

I Ride: 2012 Ducati 1199 S
Originally Posted by PANERISTI View Post
Anyone know what the difference is with the base model headlights and the S/Tricolore full LED headlights?
All I know is Ducati made two versions of the headlights on the 1199... one with and one without integrated LED headlights. The Standard 1199 comes without the LED headlights, and the 1199 S and 1199 Tricolore come with the LED headlights.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 07:02 PM   #14

Originally Posted by miexpeman View Post
. Don't think i will ever ride the bike in a manner that i would ever notice the difference made by Ohlins or the 400 gram weight saving of the S wheels.
Speaking of money, does anyone have any views on how much the depreciation is likely to be on these bikes and which variant do you think will hold value the best or depreciate the most over 3 years?
Roll on next summer
So you don't plan on riding the bike? Because that's all you have to do to feel the difference in the suspension. You don't have to ride with any certain "manner".

The ohlins (on bikes that I now own) to me feel firmer yet more compliant and far less harsh than other systems that are sprung the same.
Another noticeable quality is the reaction to bumps in a corner; my bikes with Ohlins stay planted and stable where the showa and marzocchi equipped bikes tend to be jarring and will step out of line.

I'm talking about all real-world street riding at normal legal speeds. You can feel the difference.

And lets be realistic, all of these bikes are gonna loose money - The tricolore will loose the most because it's the most expensive; look at the price of a used 1098R or D16RR, guys that bought those bikes took a good hit.

Plan on the value dropping a good 4K for the tri and 3K for the S the minute you sign the paperwork.

Hey, have fun with it!
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:09 PM   #15

Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
So you don't plan on riding the bike? Because that's all you have to do to feel the difference in the suspension. You don't have to ride with any certain "manner".

The ohlins (on bikes that I now own) to me feel firmer yet more compliant and far less harsh than other systems that are sprung the same.
Another noticeable quality is the reaction to bumps in a corner; my bikes with Ohlins stay planted and stable where the showa and marzocchi equipped bikes tend to be jarring and will step out of line.

I'm talking about all real-world street riding at normal legal speeds. You can feel the difference.

And lets be realistic, all of these bikes are gonna loose money - The tricolore will loose the most because it's the most expensive; look at the price of a used 1098R or D16RR, guys that bought those bikes took a good hit.

Plan on the value dropping a good 4K for the tri and 3K for the S the minute you sign the paperwork.

Hey, have fun with it!
Very well said. There will certainly be a big difference in feel and control between the Ohlins units on the S model and the Showa or Marzzocchi suspension that is usually on Ducati base bikes. Even if most riders wont be able to fully use the base bike's suspension to the limits, they will appreciate the enhanced compliance and control that the Ohlins suspension will provide. It was certainly this way for me when I sold my base 1198 and got the 1198SP, it will be the same with the 1199.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 04:50 AM   #16

Ohlins

Interesting comments re the Ohlins guys. having never run Ohlins I'm probably not really qualified to comment on whether they make a noticeable difference or not. so will just wait and hope that they compare the various versions against each other and see what the "experts" verdict is on how the standard machine fairs against the others.
You watch i'll probably end up changing my order for the S.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 07:43 AM   #17

I haven't made up mind yet which version I want.

My bike will do track duty so ABS is out. The ABS on my MTS1200 masks much of the braking feel and ability to manually finesse the brakes when riding aggressively.
They work fine for everyday riding but the difference between the quality of the brakes on my Multi and either the 1098 or streetfighter is night and day.

Who knows, I'm sure the ABS on the 1199 will be better than the system on the MTS but, after looking at all the lines and the control box I just don't think I want that complexity on a bike I'm taking to the track. And it's very clear that you cannot have the best possible direct feel with 3 to 5 times the amount of brake hoses, junctions, and control valves.

If I were only planning to ride the bike on public roads and I was concerned about emergency situations I'd probably opt for the ABS.

So, that puts the Tricolore out of the running for me.

I took a look at the photos of the corse bike from Milan and noticed that it has Ohlins but it doesn't have DES.

You can clearly see that there are no wires going to the ohlins on this bike...

I wonder if there will be a retrofit kit to remove the DES for racing? The photo looks like they've removed the electronic adjusters from the OE shock and just replaced them with manual adjuster caps.

If there is such a kit available for both front and rear I'll probably buy the S model. I'm not a huge fan of the tri-Y wheels but It's no deal-breaker.

Otherwise I may opt for the base and with the money I save I'll replace the suspension and grab a set of Marchesini forged alloy wheels or maybe a set of BST's.
I may go over the price of the S to do this but that's ok.

So, I'm still on the fence and I need to learn more before I decide on which bike is right for me.

Last edited by flynbulldog; Nov 15th 2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 08:14 AM   #18

I Ride: 1098R & S4RS Tricolore
I am glad someone else is thinking the same way. I created a Custom 1199 thread discussing these choices.

The Tricolore is beautiful, but it has ABS. The manual Öhlins suspension is probably the way to go with CF wheels on a standard 1199. The question is, can the electronics compensate for the CF wheels or do you just choose to turn off the DucatiTractionControl. I prefer making the split second decisions for road riding, maybe DTC for the track but not on the road.

I need to change my vote to a Standard 1199.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 08:50 PM   #19
Daz

Originally Posted by Tricolore View Post
I am glad someone else is thinking the same way. I created a Custom 1199 thread discussing these choices.

The Tricolore is beautiful, but it has ABS. The manual Öhlins suspension is probably the way to go with CF wheels on a standard 1199. The question is, can the electronics compensate for the CF wheels or do you just choose to turn off the DucatiTractionControl. I prefer making the split second decisions for road riding, maybe DTC for the track but not on the road.

I need to change my vote to a Standard 1199.
i can see where you are going with this, but..

in australia the base is 30 000 and the S model is 36 000, by the time you spend 3 600 on bst wheels and then 2 000 for ohlins forks and 1 000 for a ttx rear shock...you might as well just buy the S in the first place.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:04 AM   #20

I Ride: Lots of 'em
My Tricolore is coming next March... can't wait!
Thanks from avishek007
Closed Thread

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
1199, ducati, plan, purchasing