Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 06:30 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
nick1199's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: sydney

Posts: 286
Thanks: 1

I Ride: 1199s Tricolore
Thermoplastic shell helmets

Hi there,

was looking for a helmet for the miss's. She's not going to be pillion much, once in a blue moon sort of thing. So didn't want to spend too much on a decent helmet.

Looked at the AGV K3 Rossi Dreamtime helmet. Looks good. Not too expensive but it's a Thermoplastic shell helmet. It's an approved helmet.

Anyone have one of these Thermoplastic shell helmets and can you comment on them. I'd assume a bit heavier, doesn't absorb impact as well as the carbon/kevlar ones. But it shouldn't be too bad right? It's approved so it should do what it's meant to do.
nick1199 is offline  
 
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Phl
Moderator
 
Phl's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: here

Posts: 7,305
Thanks: 3953

I Ride: Panigale, CRF450, CRF50, GROM, bionicon supershuttle
it is said that thermoplastics lose the softeners faster than the fiberglass helmets, so an older one would crack easier in case of an accident compared to other materials.

with a brand name helmet, which is also approved, i wouldn't worry.

the safest helmet for you (or the lady) is
(1.) the one that fits best and
(2.) is the most comfortable to not distract you or make you lose concentration due to headaches or pressures points
Phl is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
tstephenson's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Lone Tree CO

Posts: 469
Thanks: 5

I Ride: 2012 1199 Panigale Tri
Originally Posted by nick1199 View Post
Hi there,

was looking for a helmet for the miss's. She's not going to be pillion much, once in a blue moon sort of thing. So didn't want to spend too much on a decent helmet.

Looked at the AGV K3 Rossi Dreamtime helmet. Looks good. Not too expensive but it's a Thermoplastic shell helmet. It's an approved helmet.

Anyone have one of these Thermoplastic shell helmets and can you comment on them. I'd assume a bit heavier, doesn't absorb impact as well as the carbon/kevlar ones. But it shouldn't be too bad right? It's approved so it should do what it's meant to do.
This is my opinion only - You are going to by your girl a helmet because you are rightlfully concerned about safety and head protection in the event of an accident. No matter how remote the chance - Shit happens.

In this case you would want to provide her with the best protection possible. Again, maybe a remote chance but none the less you don't want to cheap out because the chances are low. It only takes one sutpid driver in a cage to ruin your day and you want the best protection you can get.

Just my opinion
tstephenson is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Member
 
Daveiggy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: UK

Posts: 63
Thanks: 3

I Ride: 1199 Panigale - Non ABS
A 40 helmet and a 700 helmet are made of the same stuff inside, its still polystyrene that protects your head in an impact. Possibly other shells (like composites) would fair better scraping down the road for a distance but on the street that probably aint gonna happen. As long as it fits properly, spend what you can afford.
Daveiggy is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
2012DUCATI1199's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Central Florida

Posts: 475
Thanks: 0

I Ride: 1199 Panigale , Bitches !
I wear that exact helmet. Very nice for the price , and DOT says it'll do it's job. Does'nt feel too heavy at all. Sheild swaps are really easy also. Looks nice with the dark smoked shield !
Attached Thumbnails
Thermoplastic shell helmets-s_mlv_v_f_f_38137946_5466.jpg   Thermoplastic shell helmets-dreamtime-2.jpg   Thermoplastic shell helmets-dreamtime-3.jpg  
2012DUCATI1199 is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 02:30 PM   #6
Retired
 
zvez's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: ga

Posts: 2,364
Thanks: 383

Some years ago motorcyclist hired an independent lab to do exhaustive safety testing on a wide range of helmets.

Surprisingly, the cheaper plastic type helmets offered better survivability then the expensive helmets. The top line helmet makers were not happy.
Motorcyclist pulled this from their site some time ago, but some kind soul copied the text and here's a link, it's a great read:

http://www.westcoastweasels.com/arch...he_Lid_Off.pdf

That said, after a couple shark helmets which I really liked, I recently got a Nexx 1r Carbon helmet, superlightweight well made.

Nexx XR1R Carbon Motorcycle Helmet - YouTube

Chris

Last edited by zvez; Jun 22nd 2012 at 02:35 PM.
zvez is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 03:16 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
nick1199's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: sydney

Posts: 286
Thanks: 1

I Ride: 1199s Tricolore
Originally Posted by tstephenson View Post
This is my opinion only - You are going to by your girl a helmet because you are rightlfully concerned about safety and head protection in the event of an accident. No matter how remote the chance - Shit happens.

In this case you would want to provide her with the best protection possible. Again, maybe a remote chance but none the less you don't want to cheap out because the chances are low. It only takes one sutpid driver in a cage to ruin your day and you want the best protection you can get.

Just my opinion
Yeah true that. I thought about this also. But good point.

So I guess what I'm really asking is that if it isn't as safe as a fibreglass one then I won't get it for sure. But strictly speaking if I get one that is comfy and fits perfectly then if something happens then it will still give protection. Then under those circumstances of safety I would get one.
nick1199 is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Retired
 
zvez's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: ga

Posts: 2,364
Thanks: 383

read the article I posted above, "blowing the lid off" This was an in depth article with real test conditions, the thermoplastics in many instances faired better then the high dollar lid, ie the helmets were destroyed but absorbed a lot of the energy whereas the glass helmets held up better but were not as safe.

THe $80 (2005 price) Z1 ZRP1 helmet faired as well as the high dollar helmets.

Some text from the test

"Our results showed the exact opposite—that plastic-shelled helmets actually performed better than
fiberglass. In our big 3-meter hit—the high-energy kind of bash one might expect would show the supposed
weaknesses of a plastic shell—the plastic helmets transferred an average of 20 fewer Gs compared with
their fiberglass brothers, which were presumably designed by the same engineers to meet the same
standards, and built in the same factories by the same people."


Originally Posted by nick1199 View Post
Yeah true that. I thought about this also. But good point.

So I guess what I'm really asking is that if it isn't as safe as a fibreglass one then I won't get it for sure. But strictly speaking if I get one that is comfy and fits perfectly then if something happens then it will still give protection. Then under those circumstances of safety I would get one.

Last edited by zvez; Jun 22nd 2012 at 04:06 PM.
zvez is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 05:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
nick1199's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: sydney

Posts: 286
Thanks: 1

I Ride: 1199s Tricolore
That's even better. Dreamtime for me then. (well for her actually).
nick1199 is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 07:08 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Gunny Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: NOVA

Posts: 3,279
Thanks: 1537

Translation

Do all you UK, Aussie, European , etc guys have a similar minimum qualification and testing process over there which is equal to our DOT and SNELL ratings? Never heard of Thermoplastic unless that is also referred to as something else in US standards?

Bought my wife a nice Bell RS-1 which has both ratings and the unbelievable transition Photochromatic visor/ face shield. Got it for a STEAL at my favorite gear store too so it made it all the better!

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/b...ic-zone-helmet

Last edited by Gunny Fitz; Jun 22nd 2012 at 07:11 PM.
Gunny Fitz is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
helmets, shell, thermoplastic



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Matte Black Helmets Xbox Gear 13 Dec 10th 2012 03:42 AM
Leathers and helmets in Germany 1199 Gnome Ducati 1199 0 Apr 25th 2012 07:08 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed