Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree6Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 16th 2013, 07:05 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Nikt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: not your biz

Posts: 226
Thanks: 29

I Ride: 1199 S Tri
how it works (poorly) in OZ...

So I popped up at the dealer for a bike check and I had a look at the R...well it's really nice....

just for information I had a chat with the sales manager on a potential deal to trade in my Tri...

Well to my disappointment my bike is now worth 4-5k less (private sale, dealer buys it for 9k less) because of the year end sales and promotions on free registration and stamp duty (2k).

The brand new Tri is sold ride away for 39.9 at the moment...

I'm wondering if this is just business as usual or if either Ducati or Australia are really fucked up!

Next bike I will think about an import and let these rats die in their fancy showrooms
Nikt is offline  
 
Old Jun 16th 2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Higgs Boson's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: Texas

Posts: 199
Thanks: 108

ducati is an import.....you mean a Japanese bike? or a British bike? or a Harley? they are all imports to Australia!

anyways, the market is the market. supply and demand is the final determination of prices.
Higgs Boson is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2013
From: Lake Mary, FL

Posts: 1,817
Thanks: 876

In my experience in the USA, the incentives offered by the manufacturer are indeed factored in to the resale value of a model year. I.e., even those that bought a 2012 with little discount for the first shipments that arrived, are valued the same as those like my 2012 that was bought in May 2013 with every discount Ducati North America could throw at it (6 payments, 4.99% financing, effectively up to $1,578 off a base or up to $2,016 off an S).
JeffD is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Nikt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: not your biz

Posts: 226
Thanks: 29

I Ride: 1199 S Tri
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
ducati is an import.....you mean a Japanese bike? or a British bike? or a Harley? they are all imports to Australia!

anyways, the market is the market. supply and demand is the final determination of prices.
import = parallel import from the US?
Nikt is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Nikt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: not your biz

Posts: 226
Thanks: 29

I Ride: 1199 S Tri
Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
In my experience in the USA, the incentives offered by the manufacturer are indeed factored in to the resale value of a model year. I.e., even those that bought a 2012 with little discount for the first shipments that arrived, are valued the same as those like my 2012 that was bought in May 2013 with every discount Ducati North America could throw at it (6 payments, 4.99% financing, effectively up to $1,578 off a base or up to $2,016 off an S).
thx Jeff...the fact is that the US is a free competitive market, Australia is not
Nikt is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
zaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Albuquerque, NM & Bavaria Germany

Posts: 1,178
Thanks: 324

I Ride: 2007 S4RS (sold), 2008 1098S (sold), my wife's 2013 1199R, 2015 KTM RC390 ABS
As soon as you ride car or bike off a dealers lot it drops ~20% in value and it goes downhill from there.....
zaster is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2013, 07:25 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Higgs Boson's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: Texas

Posts: 199
Thanks: 108

Originally Posted by Nikt View Post
thx Jeff...the fact is that the US is a free competitive market, Australia is not
say what? can you elaborate on how aus is not a free competitive market?

Economic System Australia
Higgs Boson is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2013, 09:26 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
WAfatboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Perth, Western Australia

Posts: 1,293
Thanks: 533

I Ride: Ducati 1199S, BMW HP4
Sounds like Australia. Dealers here rip us off big time.
Thanks from Nikt
WAfatboy is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:00 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Nikt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: not your biz

Posts: 226
Thanks: 29

I Ride: 1199 S Tri
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
say what? can you elaborate on how aus is not a free competitive market?

Economic System Australia
Because there is one importer that is also the owner of major dealerships in Syd/Mel/Perth/wollongon/Newcastle...all prices are controlled...

Then there are 3-4 other dealers I know of who are just not interested in competing...or basically can't....

Enough elaboration?
Thanks from XIXCIX

Last edited by Nikt; Jun 16th 2013 at 10:03 PM.
Nikt is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:04 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Nikt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: not your biz

Posts: 226
Thanks: 29

I Ride: 1199 S Tri
Originally Posted by zaster View Post
As soon as you ride car or bike off a dealers lot it drops ~20% in value and it goes downhill from there.....
agreed...but what is you starting price in the US...consider that the US/AUD dollar have been on parity or above for quite a while...
Nikt is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
poorly, works



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CCR Panigale Paint Job In Works Gunny Fitz Ducati 1199 60 Nov 4th 2015 10:55 PM
Ducati Panigale Heat Shield That Works albert Ducati 1199 50 Sep 7th 2013 02:54 PM
How does an ABS front brake works on 1199? hdobhal Ducati 1199 19 Jul 25th 2013 06:19 PM
Peggy works at Ducati Roadside Assistance phild Ducati 1199 16 Jul 11th 2012 04:18 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed