Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree37Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 28th 2013, 06:44 PM   #41

Originally Posted by bradp51 View Post
Not sure why you say that. the R and S are different models and about a year apart. If they have a newer ECU and different mapping, and Ducati design this for the R then you need to buy an R for it to work with it. Sounds simple to me.

If you want this exhaust I am sure you can buy it and fit to an S but may not work very well on the street.

I sometimes get the feeling that apart from serious track guys who build race bikes the motivation for this type of exhaust on street bikes is just about bragging rights for forum signatures and for trips to the local coffee shop meeting.

Certainly not criticising anyone who races or those looking for different sound fitting aftermarket exhaust but trying to fit a pure race system designed just for racing to a street bike just does seem to be IMHO a good use of money.
The R is very similar to the S so yet it is a bit absurd. The engine revs 500rpm higher and stock according to ducati has the same max power. These are headers not some magic secret sauce. The ecu is just updated software right?

Once again these are headers and there are plenty of racers and track day riders not willing or able to shell out 30k for an R. Hell if I had known I was going track only I would have bought a base.

Old Jun 28th 2013, 07:36 PM   #42

I will not be buying this header for my R and its coffee shop get togethers.
Thanks from Pilot
Old Jun 28th 2013, 11:07 PM   #43

i'd be very carefull thinking the R engine is the same as the Base. The lighter parts change it thouroughly as pick up and reaction to throttle opening and valve opening is with different, especially as the pistons are so huge.. different throttle respons gets different flow through the pipes and different pipes ad to the overall result. so it's the whole cumulation of perhaps small things that change the bike completely.. i was at Moto Rapido ( from BSB and UK superstock fame) and was told the pani is now all about redablitiy. BSB can't carry TCS, so they focus on getting out of corners well.. they remapped the throttle response per 10 opening andeven capped max thrittle in 1 and 2 for the bike not to flip over... anyone saying he needs more top end perhaps should use it first.. let me tell you the difference between riding 6-10k or 8-12K is outerwordly.. the wack between 9,5 and 12 is like NSR500 ... i'll be focussing on drivablity from now on.. and the pro should do just that.. once i'll get my hands on a WSBK pipe, it will even get better. as it is said to bring back the 1198RS low down punch.. i got the Suprstock Ecu installed with some decent mapping of engine and throttle and the respons was clear.. now just have to ride it harder.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 11:40 PM   #44

Originally Posted by kope999R View Post
i'd be very carefull thinking the R engine is the same as the Base. The lighter parts change it thouroughly as pick up and reaction to throttle opening and valve opening is with different, especially as the pistons are so huge.. different throttle respons gets different flow through the pipes and different pipes ad to the overall result. so it's the whole cumulation of perhaps small things that change the bike completely.. i was at Moto Rapido ( from BSB and UK superstock fame) and was told the pani is now all about redablitiy. BSB can't carry TCS, so they focus on getting out of corners well.. they remapped the throttle response per 10 opening andeven capped max thrittle in 1 and 2 for the bike not to flip over... anyone saying he needs more top end perhaps should use it first.. let me tell you the difference between riding 6-10k or 8-12K is outerwordly.. the wack between 9,5 and 12 is like NSR500 ... i'll be focussing on drivablity from now on.. and the pro should do just that.. once i'll get my hands on a WSBK pipe, it will even get better. as it is said to bring back the 1198RS low down punch.. i got the Suprstock Ecu installed with some decent mapping of engine and throttle and the respons was clear.. now just have to ride it harder.
The r and S/base engines are not the same they are very similar and obviously so.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 09:38 AM   #45

I Ride: all the bikes....
So I ran Fontana yesterday on the R. Bike worked great, however, the ambient temperature was OVER 100 in the shade, that made track temps CRAZY hot and the bike, with the HUGE manifold ran quite HOT. I saw temps of 250 when I came off track before getting a fan on it! WOW, I thought my R1 was hot.

I also ran a set of Michelin slicks. I ran these at Big Willow for a half day at the beginning of June and yesterday I wasn't too happy with them. I ended up running 35 hot front and 24 hot rear but all day I struggled with grip. The front end would slide before I raised the pressure from 33 hot and the rear would slide EVERY time I got on the gas.

Yesterday was great practice for riding a sliding bike, almost but not quite like riding in the rain. Apparently lots of people were having grip issues so it might just be the conditions BUT I raced at Fontana last Fall and it was just as hot if not more so and I didn't have these issues at all.

I have a set of Pirellis that I am going to try at Big Willow in two weeks for a race, then if I don't like those I'm going back to Dunlop.

The bike IS fast, plenty of power. Turns well, transitions just as well as my Graves R1 if not a little better. It's stable on the brakes and overall I am quite happy.

Just need to sort the grip issues and figure out if it's tires, conditions or the swingarm setting, which I set to +2.

Stay tuned....more pics to come per request.

-B
Old Jul 1st 2013, 09:45 AM   #46

I Ride: Ducati 1199 S ABS & '09 Triumph Daytona 675
Originally Posted by roadracerx View Post
So I ran Fontana yesterday on the R. Bike worked great, however, the ambient temperature was OVER 100 in the shade, that made track temps CRAZY hot and the bike, with the HUGE manifold ran quite HOT. I saw temps of 250 when I came off track before getting a fan on it! WOW, I thought my R1 was hot.

I also ran a set of Michelin slicks. I ran these at Big Willow for a half day at the beginning of June and yesterday I wasn't too happy with them. I ended up running 35 hot front and 24 hot rear but all day I struggled with grip. The front end would slide before I raised the pressure from 33 hot and the rear would slide EVERY time I got on the gas.

Yesterday was great practice for riding a sliding bike, almost but not quite like riding in the rain. Apparently lots of people were having grip issues so it might just be the conditions BUT I raced at Fontana last Fall and it was just as hot if not more so and I didn't have these issues at all.

I have a set of Pirellis that I am going to try at Big Willow in two weeks for a race, then if I don't like those I'm going back to Dunlop.

The bike IS fast, plenty of power. Turns well, transitions just as well as my Graves R1 if not a little better. It's stable on the brakes and overall I am quite happy.

Just need to sort the grip issues and figure out if it's tires, conditions or the swingarm setting, which I set to +2.

Stay tuned....more pics to come per request.

-B
Mind if we ask what u settle on as far as suspension settings? I haven't read every single one of your posts, but I'm assuming you stayed with the stock Ohlins? What are your compression/rebounds set at?
Old Jul 1st 2013, 11:01 AM   #47

I ran the R at Fontana this past weekend with rider sag set at 40 mm front and 30 mm rear. I only needed to remove two turns of preload to get the rear rider sag to 30, I am 195 with gear.

Front compression: 10
Front rebound: 14
Rear Compression: 6
Rear rebound: 8
Swingarm position: +2mm
ABS: 1
EBC: 3
DTC: 2

I ran the Michelin 12/60 front and the 20/69 rear slicks with 35 psi hot front and 24 psi hot rear.

The track conditions were EXTREMELY hot and I had alot of trouble with the bike sliding a bunch both front and rear.

I will next be testing Pirellis next and possibly changing the swingarm position from +2 if that helps with the sliding as I didn't like the fact that the bike was moving around so much. It made it hard to get on the gas with any real authority.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 11:12 AM   #48

from what i hear -4 seems to be the way to go - wiht a heavier spring. the source is Steve Moore from Moto Rapido who runs the first BSB team on a Pani and they don't have TCS allowed, so drivablity is their main goal... +2 only seems to be chosen by Carlos...

any dyno's from the Pro yet? i'm counting het days for it to get in... tx
Old Jul 1st 2013, 12:30 PM   #49

@kope999R,

Attack Performance will get the bike tomorrow for dyno so I will post results on Wednesday. I don't want to speculate too much but my hopes are high.

I had some meetings today to sort out the issues, albeit quite small, and we have a new plan for a base setup.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 01:46 PM   #50

I Ride: Ducati 1199S, BMW HP4
So 200hp not 200bhp? So that dyno graph is showing power at the crank.

Would be really interested to see an independent dyno of the R, will go search!

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
1199r, ducati, manifold, pro, superstock

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.