Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:07 PM   #1

I Ride: 2017 RSV4 RF, 2010 RSV4 Factory, 2014 Beta 520 RS
Tricolore owners BEWARE when new windscreen installed!

I just took my Pani in for it's first service last Sat. And also had the DP taller windscreen, comfort seat, and Termi slip-ons installed. Got to the dealer right before closing to pick up my bike and it was starting to rain so I was in a hurry to get outta there.

I'm planning on riding to work tomorrow so I thought I would clean her up after the light sprinkle during the ride home on Sat. I began wiping down the bike and when I was cleaning around the front fairing And windscreen I noticed the front paint/decal was bunched up around the two bottom screws... I thought for a moment... WTF! Those guys F'd it up over-tightening the windscreen screws!!!

It's pretty obvious what happened and now I gotta go back down there and see how good of a dealership they are based on how this situation is handled. After dropping 30k, they better fix it because I'm not letting it go.

So BEWARE of over-tightening the screws if you or your dealership is changing the windscreen.

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:39 PM   #2

Originally Posted by flobrandx View Post
I just took my Pani in for it's first service last Sat. And also had the DP taller windscreen, comfort seat, and Termi slip-ons installed. Got to the dealer right before closing to pick up my bike and it was starting to rain so I was in a hurry to get outta there.

I'm planning on riding to work tomorrow so I thought I would clean her up after the light sprinkle during the ride home on Sat. I began wiping down the bike and when I was cleaning around the front fairing And windscreen I noticed the front paint/decal was bunched up around the two bottom screws... I thought for a moment... WTF! Those guys F'd it up over-tightening the windscreen screws!!!

It's pretty obvious what happened and now I gotta go back down there and see how good of a dealership they are based on how this situation is handled. After dropping 30k, they better fix it because I'm not letting it go.

So BEWARE of over-tightening the screws if you or your dealership is changing the windscreen.
Yes and the factory are aware of dealers doing this and will not accept it as warranty they give a torque setting of something like .3 of a nm
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:15 PM   #3

I Ride: Tri Colore 1199 , Diavel Carbon Red
Originally Posted by flobrandx View Post

Thanks for the headsup..My Tri have the same problem that they over tighten the two screw, dealer is replacing the front fairing for me in 2 weeks. I wish i spot this message earlier so I can alert them before they install the windscreen.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 01:30 AM   #4

I Ride: 1199s Tricolore
Good to know. I'll be letting my dealer know before prep'ing my bike.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 02:51 AM   #5
Retired

That's one of the reasons why they have rubber welnuts so it keeps the threads locked without having to torque it much. As it's only a decal, it would seem they could take the bolts off and smooth out the decal and put the bolt/welnut back on without as much torque.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 06:29 AM   #6

I Ride: Panigale Tricolore
I had exactly the same problem with my Tricolore. Removed the screen, borrowed the wifes hairdryer and gave the crinkled bit a wee heat. Heypresto, its now good as new! One thing tho, the screen was a nightmare to fit back on! The tiny well nuts kept falling out of the screen when I tried to refit the screws. Got there in the end tho and good as new...
Old Jul 4th 2012, 06:46 AM   #7
Retired

it's easier to just pull the fairing to do the windshield. Kinda crazy that of the four bolts holding the screen on, two are virtually impossible to reach. Some of the owners here have glued the rubber welnuts to the windscreen which is one way to keep them there.

I'd highly recommend buying extras to have on hand. Here's a link to the bolts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00 these have a standard allen head instead of torx head, a set of 9 is $24 bucks.

Chris

Originally Posted by Scotsdude View Post
I had exactly the same problem with my Tricolore. Removed the screen, borrowed the wifes hairdryer and gave the crinkled bit a wee heat. Heypresto, its now good as new! One thing tho, the screen was a nightmare to fit back on! The tiny well nuts kept falling out of the screen when I tried to refit the screws. Got there in the end tho and good as new...

Last edited by zvez; Jul 4th 2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 07:23 AM   #8

Hmmmm

Mine came out absolutely perfect. I was right there when he changed the entire windscreen and even had to hold the mirror while he tried tucking in the wiring. Have you guys removed your mirrors yet????? Holy smokes its tough to get these back on, especially the right one since the wires are so much shorter because they didnt make it longer and it comes all the way from the left side of bike! Wish the windscreen was a bit darker but it still works alot better than stock.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 07:30 AM   #9

I Ride: Tricolore
The dealer did the same thing to mine when they set it up. They submitted to Ducati for warranty replacement but I haven't heard back from them.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:39 AM   #10

I Ride: 2012 1199 Panigale Tri
Could be worse - Quick rain storm came trough and sun quickly after - Melted a spot on my dash Dealer is going to put it through as a warranty item since its a DP screen. We shall see

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
beware, installed, owners, tricolore, windscreen