Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:54 AM   #21
Retired
 
zvez's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: ga

Posts: 2,364
Thanks: 384

well now remember bmw issued a recall recently on 2012 s1krr, bike that's been out for some years now for over/under torqued con rod which WOULD grenade an engine.

Things like this happen with ALL bike manufacturers. Go to NHTSA recall page and loads of recalls for every bike built.

Also the only recall has been for the wrong bolt, do you honestly think if this was a widespread issue (ie bikes burning up) they wouldn't be all over it? From a legal/standpoint of course they would.

ALso, it's very easy to get a skewed view on problems with any particular bike on forums, as the people with the problems are the ones you tend to hear from. Mine's been a gem from day one.

I absolutely think the oil filter cap could be put on incorrectly causing the leak to begin with.





Originally Posted by 1198freak View Post
These are the things that are making me reconsider buying a Pani. I'm willing to deal with soft paint, wrong suspension linkage settings, clutch slave cylinder issues, tremendous heat, but to have the possibility of oil leaks setting the bike on fire is too much.. (has happened to two bikes already) C'mon Ducati, this is a $25K bike, you guys have been developing it for 4 or 5 years, seriously in all that time they couldn't engineer out this problem? Or did they even test for it or even notice that it was happening? The fact is this bike has many issues as some brand new bikes do, but these are serious issues that can kill someone or total the bike. You would never see these issues on a Japanese bike or the BMW. Before the deluge of posts telling me to get a Japanese bike or BMW instead of the Pani begins, let me say I don't want one of those bikes, I want the Pani. It would be my 4th Ducati. I just wish Ducati had done more R & D on this bike before they released it. I would rather have had them release it a year later as a 2013 model with the bugs ironed out..
zvez is offline  
 
Old Jul 20th 2012, 12:48 AM   #22
Member
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Norway

Posts: 32
Thanks: 2

I Ride: Ducati 1199 Panigale
Oil leak on my base after 2100 km...
torstebo is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2012, 12:43 AM   #23
Member
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Bay Area / Kuwait

Posts: 65
Thanks: 2

sorry for your problem.

Ive never had an oil leak problem with any of my ducatis
1199r8 is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2012, 06:07 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
bradp51's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Posts: 2,767
Thanks: 1275

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD
Originally Posted by 1198freak View Post
These are the things that are making me reconsider buying a Pani. I'm willing to deal with soft paint, wrong suspension linkage settings, clutch slave cylinder issues, tremendous heat, but to have the possibility of oil leaks setting the bike on fire is too much.. (has happened to two bikes already) C'mon Ducati, this is a $25K bike, you guys have been developing it for 4 or 5 years, seriously in all that time they couldn't engineer out this problem? Or did they even test for it or even notice that it was happening? The fact is this bike has many issues as some brand new bikes do, but these are serious issues that can kill someone or total the bike. You would never see these issues on a Japanese bike or the BMW. Before the deluge of posts telling me to get a Japanese bike or BMW instead of the Pani begins, let me say I don't want one of those bikes, I want the Pani. It would be my 4th Ducati. I just wish Ducati had done more R & D on this bike before they released it. I would rather have had them release it a year later as a 2013 model with the bugs ironed out..

My bike has not caught on fire and no issues so far. Either will yours seeing you are not buying one
bradp51 is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2012, 06:17 AM   #25
Member
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: clinton township, MI

Posts: 78
Thanks: 11

Thanks guys. I still haven't picked up the bike.. I was told its a small oil leak and i should be able to pick it up thursday, if not, then I can pick it up friday and schedule the service after the weekend. Then I call thursday and I'm told well there's still another bike in front of yours, so we probably won't be able to finish it. On friday I called to just pick up the bike and I got transferred to 3 diff sales rep before I'm told that I can't pick up the bike as they have to run some tests and talk to Ducati before they can say anything definitive info. I never got a chance to talk to the tech to see what exactly is going on as he's too busy. This is a bunch of bs.

I'm more pissed about the lack of communication and this run around as I still have no idea what's wrong, and additionally, with the weather being great, I won't be able to ride the bike during the weekend.
akdave8 is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2012, 06:23 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Someville, Somestate

Posts: 3,293
Thanks: 380

Originally Posted by akdave8 View Post
Thanks guys. I still haven't picked up the bike.. I was told its a small oil leak and i should be able to pick it up thursday, if not, then I can pick it up friday and schedule the service after the weekend. Then I call thursday and I'm told well there's still another bike in front of yours, so we probably won't be able to finish it. On friday I called to just pick up the bike and I got transferred to 3 diff sales rep before I'm told that I can't pick up the bike as they have to run some tests and talk to Ducati before they can say anything definitive info. I never got a chance to talk to the tech to see what exactly is going on as he's too busy. This is a bunch of bs.

I'm more pissed about the lack of communication and this run around as I still have no idea what's wrong, and additionally, with the weather being great, I won't be able to ride the bike during the weekend.
I'm sorry to hear that man.
TransNone13 is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2012, 04:19 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Ducati Dreams's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: NM

Posts: 175
Thanks: 8

I Ride: 1199
Originally Posted by akdave8 View Post
Supposedly, there is no mechanical 'tick' sounds they heard, so I'm not sure why that was present in the videos and how I heard it. I guess I'll get the bike back tomorrow and will see if there's any persistent issue.
That "mechanical tick" in your video is the sound of the exhaust cooling off...it is normal.
Ducati Dreams is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2012, 08:45 AM   #28
Member
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: clinton township, MI

Posts: 78
Thanks: 11

still no f**king progress..

Originally Posted by Ducati Dreams View Post
That "mechanical tick" in your video is the sound of the exhaust cooling off...it is normal.
Thanks. I hope so.

I still haven't been able to get the bike. Its being held hostage at the dealer for 'tests'. I finally got fed up and called Ducati North America and supposedly the techs in Italy asked the dealer to run a dye test to see if there is an oil leak and send report back. Unfortunately, I can't get the report or messages as it's internal company documents. Supposedly after the italy techs review the documents and tests, they'll let my dealer know on solutions etc.

Called DNA again today and the rep is calling service manager to let me know what's expected and how long this will take. I still think the leak happened after they did first service oil change and screwed something up, but no ones claiming any responsibility. It's already been a week and still don't know what to expect anymore. I guess I'll have to suck it up and wait.

Any advise from you guys on what else I can do?

Last edited by akdave8; Jul 25th 2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: spelling changes..
akdave8 is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2012, 10:42 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Wallasey UK

Posts: 306
Thanks: 11

new oil leak found.

I was looking over my bike 2nd day of ownership 185miles travelled and i found an oil leak. If you look down the left hand side cast your eyes towards the middle of the engine between the V. There you will see a breather pipe with a clip at the end,its attached to a small metal outlet tube. I had a small amount of oil mist right there and it had started to collect in a groove on the side casing. Turns out the clip was actually too big for its intended role of clamping the tube tight. The clip was one of those Clic-Clip style ones. I"ve put a regular Jubilee clip on which was fiddly to get on due to the limited space. Just want to make everyone aware of this and to take a look at their own bikes. Maybe it was just one mistake and the wrong size clip got used,but what if it wasnt. Take a look and if you see any shiny oily residue then get a long screwdriver and just poke the clip it will rotate. It will need replacing.
supduc10 is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2012, 10:57 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Someville, Somestate

Posts: 3,293
Thanks: 380

I'll have to check this out, thanks sup.
TransNone13 is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
exhaust, leak, oil, panigale, service, video



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Infrared video of the Panigale. Here is the heat! Litespeed Ducati 1199 56 Jul 25th 2015 06:48 PM
exhaust for panigale 1199 tricolore danielbom2 Ducati 1199 10 Aug 20th 2012 04:10 AM
small oil leak from the blow-by valve’s O-ring is leaking massimt Mechanical and Technical 1 Jun 23rd 2012 02:57 PM
Panigale performance video with gps measurements Justifire Ducati 1199 14 Jun 11th 2012 07:48 AM
Oil leak Torquesp New Users 7 Jun 5th 2012 08:40 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed