Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 21st 2012, 04:19 AM   #1

I Ride: s1000rr sold now on 1199s ABS
Australian Deals and options on Termi exhaust

Was just wondering if any of the Aussie owners on the forum have had experience with purchasing systems from the USA or managed to get a good deal from their dealer?

Costs difference for example :-
Slip On $2k USD vs $2800 Aus$
Full system $3500 USD vs $4800 Aus$

My dealer is trying to tell me the the UP map for the US system wont work properly on our bikes. Sounds like BS and also said that any warranty on the parts is lost from Ducati? Thoughts and facts would be appreciated on this?

Old Jul 21st 2012, 02:11 PM   #2

I Ride: Ducati 1199S
Thats bullshit, my dealer also told me the same thing and when I threatened to buy my slip-ons via eBay they came to the party and did a deal. I paid $2930 NZD for mine
Old Jul 21st 2012, 04:17 PM   #3

I Ride: Panigale S/Abs Honda CBR1000RR Repsol
Why would anyone pay for a Termi exhaust at this time, given all the info on them at the moment. Just a question.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 05:00 PM   #4

Originally Posted by MadeinItaly View Post
Why would anyone pay for a Termi exhaust at this time, given all the info on them at the moment. Just a question.
Why not? There isn't anything wrong with the slip ons, and they sound great!
Old Jul 21st 2012, 05:28 PM   #5

I Ride: Speciale V4, Ducati 1199S; 1200 Enduro, Scrambler 1100 sport, 748R, 1098S
Iceman, I went through the same thoughts, and I travel regularly to the USA for work so could easily have brought them home. But you know, being a new model I wanted the peace of mind that If something went amiss I could get service.
I bit the bullet, got them fitted at my first service by Frasers who I must say we're fantastic and I had follow up calls etc. the new map and slip on Termis for me have been nothing short of magnificent. Mine is perfect.
I would say just go with it.
By the way I spoke with Craig McMartin about the full system but he felt unless you are racing it, there is no point. Good enough for me.
Sometimes we Aussies just have to forget the USA pricing and live with our situation.

And to all those naysayers, the Termi's have been designed in conjunction with Ducati for this bike, and to me is the only way to go. Period.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 06:31 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
Thats bullshit, my dealer also told me the same thing and when I threatened to buy my slip-ons via eBay they came to the party and did a deal. I paid $2930 NZD for mine
Hamish, was that the full system...?
Old Jul 21st 2012, 06:35 PM   #7

Originally Posted by MadeinItaly View Post
This forum has some conflicting views....as well as some magazine reviews. Just look at this link with regards to the termi's.

2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S Track Comparison - Motorcycle USA

some seem to think they work and others dont...
Old Jul 21st 2012, 08:22 PM   #8

Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Hamish, was that the full system...?
No just the slip ons, but remember our $$$ isn't as strong as yours so everything costs more. Original quote was $3800.
I have a BMC filter coming next week, found it strange that Termi didn't offer one as part of the package. Think its quite important that if you do the pipes you should do the filter as well to make sure it breathes.
I'm no expert but this could be part of the reason as to why so many people are complaining of flat spots...
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 03:18 AM   #9

I Ride: Ducati 1199S, BMW HP4
I ended up buying my Slipons locally. $800AUD difference was postage, fitting and warranty peace of mind. If I had bought from US I would have had to have someone fit them (I'm no mechanic) and they are tricky from what I hear. The freight would have been at least a couple of hundred and I'm assuming I wasn't unlucky enough to get hit by duty! If anything goes wrong they are covered by warranty. I bought from the dealer and they fitted them for free.

Don't get me wrong, I'll buy online where there's less risk, I just had the equivalent of $2500AUD worth of dainese leathers and gloves shipped for $1500 (inc shipping) so dealers shouldn't take it for granted that well buy local.

Gotta pick your battles, totally a personal preference and if I were more mechanically minded perhaps it would have been worth a punt.

By the way, I find Austin Racings contribution to this forum to be on the whole positive but let's not forget they are flogging their own products etc and I'm not prepared to Accept their views or results on Termis - large pinch of salt required.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 03:51 AM   #10

Yep $2800 is the quote I got too. WA fatboy has expressed my thoughts exactly. We have spent $AUD 36k (= $USD 37,353.60 ) on a bike (S model) (Americans, stop complaining that it costs $25 USD!!) and deliberating over a $800 exhaust difference is probably not worth it. I am still in 2 minds to spend the dollars though. That sort of mula buys lots of track days and tyres.

I must say though, 600Ks on the clock and my smile just gets bigger and bigger. This is why I was born. It is a piece of art and is engineering excellence. How long I keep my license is another matter.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
australian, deals, exhaust, options, termi