Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree13Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 18th 2013, 10:30 PM   #11

I Ride: 2012 1199 Tricolore, 2007 Porsche GT3RS
I have seen the same 102-103 figure for the stock system. With my Corsair Arai, the sound seems well muted. No earplugs here - I want to hear the idiots coming up behind and to the side of me.

Old Dec 18th 2013, 10:50 PM   #12

Hi there ie a sticker on the bike that has the rating on it and it is 106 bd.
This is on the bikes in Austalia.
This is for stock pipes.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 11:27 PM   #13

Termis slip-ons are no louder than the stock exaust WITH the db inserts. But, without the db killers it is totally different story
Old Dec 19th 2013, 12:16 AM   #14

I Ride: Base Panigale
Originally Posted by BusaDuc View Post
Been wearing plugs for 15+ years, I reckon they help focus as well as protect hearing ......mind you my hearing is f}#%^ked from the army so moot point although the very occasional time I go without deafens me
+1
Old Dec 19th 2013, 03:02 AM   #15

I Ride: 2013 Panigale 1199S ABS
Originally Posted by BusaDuc View Post
Been wearing plugs for 15+ years, I reckon they help focus as well as protect hearing ......mind you my hearing is f}#%^ked from the army so moot point although the very occasional time I go without deafens me
On that note:

"the most common service-connected disabilities are hearing impairments"

"The prevalence of severe hearing impairment among nonveterans was 2.5%. Among all veterans, the prevalence was 10.4%"

---http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6028a4.htm

It can get loud when my visor is cracked open so I wear earbud headphones to knock down the dbs, listen to music or answer the phone.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 03:33 AM   #16

I Ride: 12' 1199 Panigale ABS, 13' Kawasaki ZX-6R 636
It is not the noise of the bike that is damaging, it is the wind noise you have to be careful about.

Engine noise is a lower frequency noise and it will take a long time to see a difference there (hearing loss wise), however wind noise has a broad range and its the higher frequency band that will screw your hearing initially.

This is why when you do a hearing test you start losing the higher frequency hearing capabilty first and it gradually moves to the lower frequency range.

People with hearing loss at the higher frequency range cannot hear high pitched frequency such as whistles etc at the same dB level as they could the lower frequency ones. Always wear ear plugs, above 55 mph, the wind noise inside the helmet is in excess of 100 dB and it is pretty damaging to your ears.

My ear plugs give me a 30 dB attenuation so at 100 mph, the wind noise I hear is generally around 75-80db which is not too bad compared to 115dB with no ear plugs(more or less depending on the design of the helmet).

On a closing note, here is a nice hearing test you can go through at home - you would need good quality head phones. Obviously, this cannot replace the actual medical test but it will give you a good idea how much deep in shite you are already and if you need start thinking about ear plugs!

Keep your head phones volume to normal - the level you use to listen to news, etc.

Cool Hearing test - YouTube
Thanks from ScrapperX and Kwak
Old Dec 19th 2013, 04:39 AM   #17

I Ride: '12 1199, '13 KTM990SMT
Originally Posted by mali View Post
It is not the noise of the bike that is damaging, it is the wind noise you have to be careful about.
Indeed. Never used to wear plugs riding motocross in my younger days, but on the road now they are great. Plus, wearing a 1st gen Bell Star makes them pretty much imperative. Loudest helmet I've ever worn by far, but it fits me great so I just "plug and play". And the plugs must be working; could still hear up to 16khz on the test...
Old Dec 19th 2013, 04:59 AM   #18

I Ride: Ducati 1199 S ABS & '09 Triumph Daytona 675
Originally Posted by mali View Post

Engine noise is a lower frequency noise and it will take a long time to see a difference there (hearing loss wise), however wind noise has a broad range and its the higher frequency band that will screw your hearing initially.

This is why when you do a hearing test you start losing the higher frequency hearing capabilty first and it gradually moves to the lower frequency range.

People with hearing loss at the higher frequency range cannot hear high pitched frequency such as whistles etc at the same dB level as they could the lower frequency ones. Always wear ear plugs, above 55 mph, the wind noise inside the helmet is in excess of 100 dB and it is pretty damaging to your ears.

My ear plugs give me a 30 dB attenuation so at 100 mph, the wind noise I hear is generally around 75-80db which is not too bad compared to 115dB with no ear plugs(more or less depending on the design of the helmet).

On a closing note, here is a nice hearing test you can go through at home - you would need good quality head phones. Obviously, this cannot replace the actual medical test but it will give you a good idea how much deep in shite you are already and if you need start thinking about ear plugs!

Keep your head phones volume to normal - the level you use to listen to news, etc.

Cool Hearing test - YouTube
Woo hoo! I hit just above 110!
Old Dec 19th 2013, 05:14 AM   #19

Please wear earplugs, everyone.

I have severe tinnitus. I first got it at the age of 44. I'll have it for the rest of my life. It came from a combination of bikes without earplugs, and flying light aircraft without plugs.

Good in ear earphones also work well. Look up etymotics, the leaders in dB reduction. Even better but very expensive are the molded ones.

Earplugs are super cheap. I buy them in boxes of 200. And they will help you prevent a very unpleasant disease. I keep a few pairs in the pocket of all of my jackets, and on a trackday it's the first thing I put on when suiting up.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 12:59 PM   #20

+1

When I started riding about 6 years ago I had my first ride on a M695 with Termis. Came home, my ears were ringing.
Today they still are.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
decibel, noise

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.