Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree17Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 06:22 AM   #1

I Ride: 1199
Bitubo Suspension Update *****video*******

I figured I would finally give you guys an update on how the Bitubo suspension upgrade performed. So, I traveled to PBIR yesterday for a track day with Florida track days. For those that donít know, I purchased a base and for the exception of the MWR air filter, the 41T upgraded sprocket with 520 conversion, and the Bitubo steering damper, Bitubo rear shock and Bitubo Nitrogen charger fork cartridges, the rest of the bike is stock.

The Track
First off, let me tell you that the track is smooth and wide. In most of the corners, there are multiple race lines. Other than JenningsGP about 5 weeks ago, itís been about 9 years since Iíve been on a track. JenningsGP has places like turn 8 where if you go wide, you may wind up crashing you bike because of the pavement out there. At PBIR, thatís not a problem. A lot of people were running very tight turns and I was able to go wide and come underneath them on the exits. The biggest complaint I heard prior to going to PBIR were, ďWatch out for the wallsĒ. They are close to the track. To be honest, I was so focused on riding faster, learning the lines, and having fun that I never once looked at or thought about the walls.

Tires
I was running the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsaís SP V2s and on the warmers I had the pressures set to (front Ė 33psi, rear -36psi). I know people say you donít need warmers for these tires, but John from South Central Race Center recommended I use them and gave me tire pressures to start with. Also, the tire warmers kept the tires the same or near the same temperature once off the track. My main reason for running the warmers is so that I didnít have to wait for the tires to heat up. I went out there on the first lap and was moving at pace. I purchased the Pole position Chicken Hawks from John and I would use the low setting hot off the track. Tire wear seemed to be even all the way around. Once they called Advance on the track, I would turn the warmers on high, for about 20 minutes. . I think I am going to run the SCs on my next track day in February at Homestead.

Settings
I cannot remember my settings, but Andrew at Melillimoto setup the bike for me a few weeks ago. I think I have the rear shock setup as the following, Compression Ė 12 clicks from 0, low speed damping 14 clicks from 0.

Bitubo Suspension
Initial impression was the bike feels very stable. I could tell the bike where I wanted to go and it did exactly that. Coming out of turns I could get on the gas and it just held the line and took off like a rocket. A buddy of mine Jason who use to race for 10 years told me in the pits that my lines were clean and I looked very smooth and fast. His observation was specifically about turns 4 and 5. I didnít feel a big amount of squat coming out of turns, felt stable at 175mph coming down the back straight, from 6 down to 2 then tipping it in to turn 10. Iím not sure what else to say other than it just feels very stable and with that feeling gave me confidence to go faster and faster.

The bike
For those that say this bike is not fast enough or doesnít do this or that, there is not one bike in my group, (S1000RR, CBR1000, RSV4s, ZX10, MVs) that I didnít run down on the back straight, if there were in front of me. And once on the back straight, not one bike passed me. Iím not saying I was the fastest, but I damn sure I was one of the fastest guys in I yesterday. There was one Panigale I could not catch in one of the sessions because of traffic. Seemed like there were 500 guys in I.

Video
At the 7:00 minute mark, I split to guys on the back straight and keep it moving....
PBIR 12/22/13 Int Session 4 - YouTube
Thanks from Phl, ddd269 and centeroff

Last edited by Ljuice26; Dec 23rd 2013 at 05:47 PM.

Old Dec 23rd 2013, 06:31 AM   #2

Great write up Juice!
Hey are those the PSI settings that John recommended for those tires? And I am sure he told you that the true way of taking PSI readings is now when they are HOT!!! Years ago it was cold and its since changed.

So happy to hear you are loving your track time and getting the feel for it so much. Just when I am hanging up the leathers you get the fever!

Keep up the great work and after talking w John you will see a difference in the other DOT tires for track. Be sure to update everyone as you are doing brother! OOHRAH!
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 06:38 AM   #3

I Ride: Ducati 1199 S ABS & '09 Triumph Daytona 675
Wow, don't those PSI settings seem a bit high for the track? They seem like road settings to me....I could be completely wrong though, maybe because they are hot settings instead of cold?
Thanks from jcbertin, Gunny Fitz and CEROVA1199
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 07:18 AM   #4

I Ride: '12 1199 Panigale ABS
Here you go, straight from Pirelli!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pirelli Tire Pressures 2011-1.pdf (114.1 KB, 28 views)
Thanks from Gunny Fitz

Last edited by bwaide; Dec 23rd 2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 07:25 AM   #5

I Ride: 1199 R
Nice job Leon. Post some pictures!

Originally Posted by MacaveliMC View Post
Wow, don't those PSI settings seem a bit high for the track? They seem like road settings to me....I could be completely wrong though, maybe because they are hot settings instead of cold?
He said "on the warmer" pressures, i.e hot.

Last edited by EvoL; Dec 23rd 2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 07:39 AM   #6

Pretty sure he told me 33/34 and 36 on the warmers. I could be mistaken. We talked for quite a bit. He did say guys run them with less tire pressure, but running them low kills tire life. He also said the there would be no difference in grip. I ran lower pressures at Jennings a few weeks ago and by the end of the day I was pushing the front coming out of 14. No pushing yesterday. When I call him next week to order the SCs, I will confirm the tire pressures.
Thanks from Gunny Fitz
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 07:49 AM   #7

I Ride: PANIGALE
Nice, Leon, I am glad that it was fun for you, I 'll see @ homestead on Feb, 2nd...
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 07:53 AM   #8

I Ride: 2013 1199 Panigale ABS, 2008 GSXR1000
Thanks for the review
Thanks from Ljuice26
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 07:54 AM   #9

Thanks Gunny. Will do. I was telling one of my DC boys about you. He races and he thinks he knows you. I'll hit you later on. You know everyone or they know you, lol.
Thanks from Gunny Fitz
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 07:56 AM   #10

Yturan, where in Orlando do you live? Tons of us meet up from time to time. There's a huge group going down to Homestead in Feb.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
bitubo, suspension, update