Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree4Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 26th 2014, 07:51 PM   #11

I Ride: 1199 Panigale
Closest I came was getting gas. Stepped off, side stand didn't stay down (My own fault I'm sure) and when I stepped off the bike came with me. I still had a firm grip on the bars and it tossed me into the pump, dented the fuck out of the pump with my shoulder, grunted hard and saved the bike, no idea how, and put it back upright. Sidestand went down and had to go tell the owner I just fell into, and dented, his pump. Wonderful.

Old Jan 26th 2014, 08:52 PM   #12

I Ride: '16 Aprilia Tuono Factory, '04 Ducati 1000DS Multistrada, '09 Aprilia 750 Shiver
Originally Posted by Sloopy View Post
So just shy of 600 miles I dropped my bike at a stop sign. Not totally sure what went wrong but I am so F;lj;kjing pissed at myself.

I was maybe getting a little too confident and pulled up to a stop sign close to where I live. I was slowing quickly and was going to go right at the intersection so I swung right about 30 degrees. I often do the final stop with the front or rear but in this case I got on the front and the bike stopped a little fast. Touchy break. I put my right foot down but was close to the side of the road where there was some rocks and gravel present, foot slipped and down I went. Front tire did not slip.

The fairing was untouched and the only part of the bike that touched the ground were the right bar and clutch cover. Cover is scuffed slightly and bar was bent. I rode it home and decided to trailer it to the dealer as I was going to do the 600 this week anyway, however bar let go as I was strapping it down. No other damage except possible steering stop. I couldn't check as the bar was touching the tank from being bent.

I think what got me was over confident, with sloppy stop and noticed that I saw the ground as when my foot started to slip. Anyone done anything so stupid or can chime in on how to keep from Foiuing up again?
Its all good brotha. We've all done it. Just make sure you learn from it.

As a former MSF instructor, I get one thing from your description of the incident. Always cover the rear brake if you know you are stopping. That way you know your left foot will always be first down, and bike oriented appropriately for the stop.

Peace.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 09:54 PM   #13

I Ride: Diavel
Originally Posted by turnone View Post
Everyone who rides drops a bike. This is why I recommend people start with used bikes that already have been dropped. Funny thing about bikes, they fall over easily.

How long have you been riding?

Hope all is quick and cheap to fix, but being new and Ducati, it's probably gonna cost a few extra $.
Rode for 8 years in the dirt 40 years ago and started on the street a year ago. I have about 11K mile on the street know with 2 track days. First time to drop a bike since riding on the street.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 10:00 PM   #14

I Ride: Diavel
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Its all good brotha. We've all done it. Just make sure you learn from it.

As a former MSF instructor, I get one thing from your description of the incident. Always cover the rear brake if you know you are stopping. That way you know your left foot will always be first down, and bike oriented appropriately for the stop.

Peace.
Thanks, I know better but getting a little cocky and got bit. I was actually a little leaned over when I stopped as I was pre-thinking starting off of the right foot to make a quick exit from the intersection to the right.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 08:13 AM   #15

I Ride: 15 Pani R ( I weep a little sometimes )
it'll fix up just fine, no worries. practice makes perfect. Some off road riding can really bring the idea home on slow speed spills. Take care.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 09:35 AM   #16

I Ride: 1199S Panagale Tricolore, 2011 Triumph 675R, 2008 D16RR
Originally Posted by Sloopy View Post
So just shy of 600 miles I dropped my bike at a stop sign. Not totally sure what went wrong but I am so F;lj;kjing pissed at myself.

I was maybe getting a little too confident and pulled up to a stop sign close to where I live. I was slowing quickly and was going to go right at the intersection so I swung right about 30 degrees. I often do the final stop with the front or rear but in this case I got on the front and the bike stopped a little fast. Touchy break. I put my right foot down but was close to the side of the road where there was some rocks and gravel present, foot slipped and down I went. Front tire did not slip.

The fairing was untouched and the only part of the bike that touched the ground were the right bar and clutch cover. Cover is scuffed slightly and bar was bent. I rode it home and decided to trailer it to the dealer as I was going to do the 600 this week anyway, however bar let go as I was strapping it down. No other damage except possible steering stop. I couldn't check as the bar was touching the tank from being bent.

I think what got me was over confident, with sloppy stop and noticed that I saw the ground as when my foot started to slip. Anyone done anything so stupid or can chime in on how to keep from Foiuing up again?
Dropped a yellow 998 mono on a 14 degree day leaving the dealer. Pulled out onto busy road and dipped the bike left, squeezed about 50-60%, 14f and new tire decided not to play and spun leaving me lowsided in the middle of a buisy 4 lane road.

No real damage to anything but my ego and the bar end, just a sprained ankle and a real good lesson learned.

PS. Boy I miss that short wheelbase 916-998!
Old Jan 27th 2014, 01:34 PM   #17

I Ride: Panigale 1299 (base) Panigale 1199 sold, Multi pikes peak sold, Scrambler Icon,use of MT09+Gsxr750
I would be so sad if my red light of my life got injured!
I always stop with rear brake that way the forks don't depress and shift your balance, good tip from Police motorcycle and Institute of Advanced Riders.
Safe riding
Old Jan 27th 2014, 02:01 PM   #18

I Ride: Ducati 2010 SFS, Ducati 2012 1199 S
Originally Posted by The Duchess of Desmo View Post
I would be so sad if my red light of my life got injured!
I always stop with rear brake that way the forks don't depress and shift your balance, good tip from Police motorcycle and Institute of Advanced Riders.
Safe riding
Yep.
When I ride, it's the first brake that's applied and the last brake that's released under all road riding circumstances.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 03:10 PM   #19

I Ride: 12' 1199 Panigale ABS, 13' Kawasaki ZX-6R 636
I dropped mine last year, it decided to follow me on its side stand over a gentle slope at home and I saw it go down right in front of me Man, I was pissed but I am over it now, shit happens
Old Jan 27th 2014, 03:26 PM   #20

I Ride: Ducati 2010 SFS, Ducati 2012 1199 S
Originally Posted by mali View Post
I dropped mine last year, it decided to follow me on its side stand over a gentle slope at home and I saw it go down right in front of me Man, I was pissed but I am over it now, shit happens
Park it in gear
Thanks from 1199 dreamer

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
bike, dropped