Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree10Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 14th 2014, 01:03 PM   #1

I Ride: 2014 Panigale 1199R
Clear Bra Opinions?

I'm looking to have a clear bra installed on my R and wanted to know if anyone has done it. If you haven't and have a good reason or opinion I'd like to know. I'm trying to make an informed decision. Thanks!

Old Feb 14th 2014, 01:12 PM   #2

I Ride: 1098 & 1199 Tricolore
Hey Kris, i have one on my Tri, it was a 3M one that was pre-cut for my bike. I had it put on by a window tinting place in Westlake that specializes in applying them. I could not be happier with it

You riding this weekend, did you guys ride last weekend in the rain?
Thanks from Pilot
Old Feb 14th 2014, 03:12 PM   #3

I Ride: 2014 Panigale 1199R
Thumbs up Thanks Jim!

Originally Posted by Jeliz View Post
Hey Kris, i have one on my Tri, it was a 3M one that was pre-cut for my bike. I had it put on by a window tinting place in Westlake that specializes in applying them. I could not be happier with it

You riding this weekend, did you guys ride last weekend in the rain?
Oh Snap! Jim, that's all you had to say, because I've looked at your bike a lot and I didn't notice the film at all. Ducati Westlake referred me to Sticker City in the valley. I'll give em a try. Looks like they do a lot of supercars so I guess I have a bit of confidence.

Yes we're going riding this weekend on Sunday. Maybe we can follow you on your ride we discussed rather than our usual Rockstore and Neptunes' Net ride? ScrapperX are you in?
We did ride last weekend in the rain! It wasn't actually raining, but the streets were very slick in the morning! Wet Mode rules! I'll try to post the Rockstorephotos pic. It's kinda cool with actual clouds in the sky since we don't see many of those usually lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Clear Bra Opinions?-rainy-rocktore-r-ride.jpg  

Last edited by Pilot; Feb 14th 2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 06:02 PM   #4

I Ride: "I woke up in a new Ducati..."
Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
I'm looking to have a clear bra installed on my R and wanted to know if anyone has done it. If you haven't and have a good reason or opinion I'd like to know. I'm trying to make an informed decision. Thanks!
I got it on my tri since day one, I got the 3M too. I got mine done at Pro-Italia in Glendale Great Job and good deal.
Thanks from Pilot
Old Feb 14th 2014, 07:19 PM   #5

I Ride: 2012 Ducati Panigale Base, 2011 Honda CBR250R
My bike has the 3M clear sticker thing and it is great. There is one problem I've had: heat gas caused the sticker on the side to start to come up in one spot. Not sure if this is from exhaust heat, cylinder heat, or clutch cover ( which is nearest the area). Overall I'm pleased but next time I'll either try to trim it away from the problem spot our not apply to that panel.
Thanks from Pilot
Old Feb 14th 2014, 07:31 PM   #6

I Ride: 2007 S4RS (sold), 2008 1098S (sold), my wife's 2013 1199R, 2015 KTM RC390 ABS
Damn you guys, I was hoping you weren't talking about motorcycles
Thanks from Xbox, Phl and Pilot
Old Feb 14th 2014, 08:13 PM   #7

Here's the first non-3M post. I went with the Xpel Ultimate PPF (Paint Protection Film). It's a thinner, glossier option than what I've seen from 3M, with the biggest differentiation being the "self-healing" aspect. If it gets damaged, supposedly you can pour hot water on it and it will "fix itself" (never tried it myself, but that is the claim and there are a bunch of YouTube videos showing it).

Here is a good thread on PPF and my post with pictures of my Xpel Ultimate PPF start at post #14: http://ducati1199.com/ducati-1199/15...rotection.html
Thanks from Pilot
Old Feb 14th 2014, 09:36 PM   #8

I Ride: Panigale 1199 R, CBR 954 RR
3M clear "paint protection film"

Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
If you want to see more pics of the finished product with 3M clear "paint protection film," check out the Panigale Picture thread, p. 71, RocDoc. Love this stuff!
(Some are saying they can't find p71 on the thread, even with our illustrious forum search dysfunction , so try clicking here: http://ducati1199.com/ducati-1199/91...thread-71.html, or GOOGLE "Rocdoc picture thread 1199".)

Being in LA, I'd say you're in luck. TheTankSlapper.biz sells the pre-cut 3M kit for the Panigale, installs it for ~$75, in your neck of the woods-- Escondido, CA--and claims to do it in 2-3 hours.

Since I couldn't get the bike down to LA, I did it myself, thus, a good, but not perfect job, and way too many hours of labor. If I had been anywhere near The Tankslapper guy (Lucas), I would have gone to him in a heartbeat. Not having seen his work personally, I can't vouch 100% for him, but I figure, even if he did 90% of the work right and I had to touch it up a bit, would have saved me days of tedious work, as I was a novice in applying the film. Fortunately, he was available by phone at almost any hour of the day or night.

Satisfied? You bet! Amazing at protecting. Great for the occasional boot scuff of the tail section when swinging a leg over. Easy for getting bugs off front fairing. Perfect solution for giving the back of the tank a clean look (unless you like tank protectors).

Suggestions:
1. For R owners, request the matte finish for the film that goes where tank protectors goes. The normal one (see closeup of my tank on p. 71 of Picture Thread) is a bit glossy for the brushed aluminum.
2. Ask for a few extra pieces in case you want to cover other areas of the bike. (I film'd my TFT screen to protect against scratches.)
3. Ask him to apply the extra piece(s) down near the shifter/brake pedals (tends to get a lot of abuse from boots).
4. Get the good stuff (3M, ?Xpel) not the cheap alternative. (He admits it's cheaper in more than just cost, i.e. may turn yellow with sun exposure. And he claims the 3M is self-healing with warm/hot water, too.)

Oh, and it turns out he sells (and applies) the Xpel stuff, too. More expensive, but easier to apply. If you call Lucas, he'll spend the time explaining all the alternative, pros & cons, etc. He's been protecting finishes since ~1979, and he's owned quite a few Ducatis in his life.

Thanks from Phl and Pilot

Last edited by rocdoc; Feb 16th 2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 04:53 AM   #9
Phl

I Ride: Panigale, CRF450, CRF50, GROM, bionicon supershuttle
+1 on the tankslapper.

Though I installed myself as we'll with a steep learning curve and still many hours if you want it perfect! If I had had someone doing it for $75 it'd have been outta question having it done.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 07:05 AM   #10

I Ride: 2015 R1 2014 HP4 2012 1199 S sold 2007 zx10r and zx6r both sold
i have the xpel ultimate paint protection film . i had it professionally installed cost me 650 not one bubble you can't even tell i have anything on. its guaranteed for 10 years. its self healing also meaning if you scratch it just put hot water on it and the scratch comes out. you can also wax it just as if you didn't have anything on. here are some youtube vids of the film

stain test
XPEL Ultimate Clear Bra Stain Resistance Demo on Audi R8 - YouTube

self healing
XPEL Ultimate Film Self-Healing Clear Bra Scratch Test Demo - YouTube

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
bra, clear, opinions

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.