Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree1Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 5th 2012, 01:24 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: philly

Posts: 367
Thanks: 40

I Ride: 2012 Ducati 1199 Base and 2005 Ducati 749
No Ethanol Gas makes a BIG difference

If you are one of the lucky states with no ethanol gas stations, like Pa, U HAVE TO TRY IT IN UR 1199! I noticed a big difference on grunt and top end! Im not going to even try to prove it....you must try it for yourself.....its really that good!!!
Thanks from Gunny Fitz

Last edited by d1098man; Aug 5th 2012 at 01:28 PM.
d1098man is offline  
 
Old Aug 5th 2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
MadeinItaly's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Florida

Posts: 255
Thanks: 8

I Ride: Panigale S/Abs Honda CBR1000RR Repsol
My local shop has 101 octane fuel. Have not used it yet but considering.
MadeinItaly is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Long Island, NY

Posts: 817
Thanks: 151

We cannot get non-ethanol based petrol around here. There is a product called Ethanol Defense by Bell that is suppose to reverse the effects and it's watermissues without alcohol. Has anyone here ever tried it?

I have noticed many marinas sell non ethanol based gas...I will check my marina tomorrow and find out.

How bad is ethanol for our 1199's over time? Maybe has something to do with numerous bad starting bikes and heat issues with the water complications? Just wondering...any petrol engineers out there who can chime in on the topic?
RSR racer is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Member
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Greensboro

Posts: 56
Thanks: 2

Originally Posted by MadeinItaly View Post
My local shop has 101 octane fuel. Have not used it yet but considering.
I use 93 thats the highest I have seen in my city.
hdobhal is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
LarryG's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: South Fla

Posts: 129
Thanks: 1

I Ride: 1199 Panigale
I was up in Georgia last month for about a week and used non ethanol gas while I was there and did noticed better gas mileage from the Pani
They only had it at selected gas stations and was 90 octane
LarryG is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
gnance's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Juneau, AK

Posts: 763
Thanks: 327

I Ride: Motorcycles
you guys should look into some of the commercial trucking stations. Out in washington, they have a number of pumps called "pacific pride". You have to open an account with them before you can pump gas. They give you a card and then bill you every 2 weeks. They offer ethanol free gas and some of the places have race gas as well. I always fill up there....at least for my motorcycles.
gnance is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: East Bay Area, San Fran

Posts: 301
Thanks: 12

Did you know ethanol has a far higher octane value than gas? The main problem with it, apart from being very hydroscopic (attracts water very easily) is that if you use it in an engine that is not frequently used it can and will form gums that mess the engine up. Official papers have recently been released stating these facts so it'll be interesting to see if it remains the greens choice of fuel!!
PS - I work in refineries for an oil major just to give the above some credibility!!
Gulf Coast is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Long Island, NY

Posts: 817
Thanks: 151

Originally Posted by Gulf Coast View Post
Did you know ethanol has a far higher octane value than gas? The main problem with it, apart from being very hydroscopic (attracts water very easily) is that if you use it in an engine that is not frequently used it can and will form gums that mess the engine up. Official papers have recently been released stating these facts so it'll be interesting to see if it remains the greens choice of fuel!!
PS - I work in refineries for an oil major just to give the above some credibility!!
Doesnt the hydroscopic property decease the octane over time as moisture builds up?

In marine applications, fuel tanks are vented, accelerating the accumulation of water. How prevalent is it in our supposedly closed systems on our bikes. With Bikes that are taken out on the weekends only, could they yet developed moisture issues?
RSR racer is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
LarryG's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: South Fla

Posts: 129
Thanks: 1

I Ride: 1199 Panigale
Originally Posted by RSR racer View Post
We cannot get non-ethanol based petrol around here. There is a product called Ethanol Defense by Bell that is suppose to reverse the effects and it's watermissues without alcohol. Has anyone here ever tried it?

I have noticed many marinas sell non ethanol based gas...I will check my marina tomorrow and find out.

How bad is ethanol for our 1199's over time? Maybe has something to do with numerous bad starting bikes and heat issues with the water complications? Just wondering...any petrol engineers out there who can chime in on the topic?
The marinas here in Florida are not allowed to sell to anyone not having a boat, tried several times and was told NO, because they would be fined heavily if caught selling it.
LarryG is offline  
Old Aug 5th 2012, 03:21 PM   #10
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Long Island, NY

Posts: 817
Thanks: 151

Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
The marinas here in Florida are not allowed to sell to anyone not having a boat, tried several times and was told NO, because they would be fined heavily if caught selling it.
Tell them you have a jet ski, maybe and bring a nice set of 5 gallon jugs that you need to fill up to get out onto the lakes with
RSR racer is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
big, difference, ethanol, gas, makes



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tip to make your ride for comfortable duckyduc Ducati 1199 42 Jan 7th 2018 11:33 AM
Can someone please make some smaller mirrors!!! ChamMTB Ducati 1199 13 Jul 26th 2012 04:32 AM
This recall doesn't make sense... RSR racer Ducati 1199 2 Jul 6th 2012 07:11 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed