Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree1Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 13th 2014, 09:41 AM   #1

legal noise level

I scanned some threads but they don't answer my question.

Been out with the ipad decibel meter and closed garage revving I get 91db tops from my stock exhaust, which I guess is legal in E.U and UK

My 749 has the full race (not for road use stamped on it) termi system and that comes up to 94db.

So why does it say for race use only (so I suppose not legal on the road) on the bottom of the 749 termi can when I read that you guys get over 100 on stock panigale and the termi system is even higher, which must be legal or they could put it out there!
another thing is I am told in Italy they are taking your bike if its too loud.

Anyone know the real written down e.u. and uk laws?

Old Mar 13th 2014, 10:00 AM   #2

I Ride: 1199 ABS
Usually aftermarket exhaust systems are not road legal because they eliminate the catalytic converters, which is illegal in the US. The noise is a secondary issue after that.

Did you mean 91db on the stock 1199 exhaust? because most numbers I've seen have the panigale idling around 96db and maxing around 109+ db, which would mean the ipad db meter is way off and your 759 is putting out more like ~113db (just scaling)
Old Mar 13th 2014, 10:27 AM   #3

I Ride: 1199 Panigale/Triumph Speed Triple R
Originally Posted by transdesigner View Post
Did you mean 91db on the stock 1199 exhaust? because most numbers I've seen have the panigale idling around 96db and maxing around 109+ db, which would mean the ipad db meter is way off and your 759 is putting out more like ~113db (just scaling)
I suspect the issue isn't that the ipad meter is off so much as measurement setup.
Db is always measured to a specific distance/angle from source. And, in the case of road certified motors, usually (but not always) a specific RPM.
OP needs measurement parameters to be able to replicate accurately.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 12:18 PM   #4

Usually aftermarket exhaust systems are not road legal because they eliminate the catalytic converters, which is illegal in the US. The noise is a secondary issue after that.

How do you get away with changing exhausts then, or do you change back for annual test?
Ipad could be out, some app I downloaded.
The Pani sounds louder than the 749 but then the exhaust are behind you when riding of course!
Old Mar 13th 2014, 12:30 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Charliem90 View Post
I suspect the issue isn't that the ipad meter is off so much as measurement setup.
Db is always measured to a specific distance/angle from source. And, in the case of road certified motors, usually (but not always) a specific RPM.
The way they measure it is by drive by, so it says, I stuck the Ipad up the ass of the exhaust and hit the gas!

Too Loud for Japan ? The Ducati 1199 Panigale Gets Ruined for the Japanese Market

How the Japanese basterdized it!
Old Mar 13th 2014, 01:08 PM   #6

I Ride: 1199 ABS
Originally Posted by farmind View Post
How do you get away with changing exhausts then, or do you change back for annual test?
Ipad could be out, some app I downloaded.
The Pani sounds louder than the 749 but then the exhaust are behind you when riding of course!
Most states in the US do not test motorcycles on the annual tests. It's also so low on police officers' priority list that I've never heard of someone getting a ticket for it unless it's tremendously loud (like the AR system for example). I live in MI, auto center of the US, and here they don't even emission test cars either, so people put whatever exhaust they want on cars and bikes and cops don't care.

So in summary, termis are illegal on the roads in the US due to removal of the cats on a federal level, and illegal in some states based on the noise level, but neither is enforced at all.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 01:31 PM   #7

I Ride: Ducati 2010 SFS, Ducati 2012 1199 S
Originally Posted by Charliem90 View Post

Absolutely correct
For example.
Here in my state, a "Stationary Noise Test" is measured at a 45 Degree angle from the exhaust outlet at a distance of 1 Meter from the outlet.
The engine is then steadily revved up to half of the rpm where max torque is produced for the engine, then the throttle is released quickly to close it shut in order to achieve a spike in db.
That gives the only measurement the authorities deem to be valid.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 01:39 PM   #8

I Ride: Ducati 2010 SFS, Ducati 2012 1199 S
Most states in the US do not test motorcycles on the annual tests. It's also so low on police officers' priority list that I've never heard of someone getting a ticket for it unless it's tremendously loud (like the AR system for example). I live in MI, auto center of the US, and here they don't even emission test cars either, so people put whatever exhaust they want on cars and bikes and cops don't care.

So in summary, termis are illegal on the roads in the US due to removal of the cats on a federal level, and illegal in some states based on the noise level, but neither is enforced at all.
Here in my state in OZ the authorities don't worry too much about it.
But if they want to hassle you, they will write you a ticket which may compel you to go and get a Stationary Noise Test done at the local government run machinery inspection centre.

In the past, the police have had an occasional blitz on loud bikes over the border of our neighbouring state out in the favoured twisties, where people who live out there have been complaining about the noise to the authorities.

Last edited by Brad; Mar 13th 2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 02:00 PM   #9

Slovenia the bike test is every 2 years, I only had one and I cant remember them testing emissions or noise level
I don't use bikes in the UK but I thought is was an annual test and I'm sure its emmission tested.
I don't really give a toss but was curious as I go into Italia often and they are hard on it I'm told by an Italian dealer, if so at least I would like to know what is the correct level and if I am breaking the law if they can catch me!
Old Mar 14th 2014, 05:30 AM   #10

I Ride: 1199 Panigale/Triumph Speed Triple R
Never say never...
What's New List Serve Post Display

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
legal, level, noise

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.