Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree20Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 30th 2014, 11:57 AM   #41

I Ride: 2015 1199R
Originally Posted by mrbrettbaker View Post
I didnt read all 4 pages so excuse me if this was covered, but this issue is SUPER easy to deal with. Mine gets weak after a few weeks of sitting. I just crack the bleeder at the master cylinder about a half turn, let it sit 60 seconds while watching for fluid to rise out of the bleeder.If it hasnt I very lightly and slowly squeeze the lever fractions of an inch until I see fluid come just short of the top of the bleeder, and close bleeder. instantly like new!I thing a bubble forms in MC that is uphill of the hose to the res. All I know is it always work, no mess, no labor. Try it.
-- good approach.....i wouldn't have ever tried this.....i squeeze the lever, open the bleeder, and done - next time i'll take along a 12 pack and a lawn chair
Thanks from RandallNYC

Old May 30th 2014, 02:23 PM   #42

I always try to avoid pre squeezing whenever I do any kind of bleeding, it sonetimes stirs the air into the fluid.
Old May 30th 2014, 02:30 PM   #43

I Ride: 2012 1199 Tricolore, 2007 Porsche GT3RS
Never, it has worked flawlessly on my 2012 Tricolore from day one. Over 8100 miles so far, and never a complaint about how it operates.
Old May 30th 2014, 02:32 PM   #44

I Ride: 1199R, 1199SL, 1299S, 899 Racebike
Just got in the habit of doing it before every track day. That fluid gets hot, especially when you beat on the bike.
Old May 30th 2014, 02:34 PM   #45

Harmonyjim, I think your high mileage is the reason. Mine is only a problem after sitting a few weeks
Old May 30th 2014, 02:52 PM   #46

I didnt read all 4 pages so excuse me if this was covered, but this issue is SUPER easy to deal with. Mine gets weak after a few weeks of sitting. I just crack the bleeder at the master cylinder about a half turn, let it sit 60 seconds while watching for fluid to rise out of the bleeder.If it hasnt I very lightly and slowly squeeze the lever fractions of an inch until I see fluid come just short of the top of the bleeder, and close bleeder. instantly like new!I thing a bubble forms in MC that is uphill of the hose to the res. All I know is it always work, no mess, no labor. Try it.
Did you miss the part where you plug a drain tube into the nipple, or you just let brake fluid ooze over the bike?
Old May 30th 2014, 03:23 PM   #47

Originally Posted by HotIce View Post
Did you miss the part where you plug a drain tube into the nipple, or you just let brake fluid ooze over the bike?
Did you miss the part where I don't let the fluid come out of the bleeder? I earned ASE master tech in auto, truck, diesel and machine shop in 1978 and have bled more systems than you can imagine. The "pump it up method is stupid and spreads bubbles all thru the system. Air rises, and whenever you can just allow it to ride out of the system you get a better job. In this case there, for whatever reason, there is no reason to let a drop of fluid out. I wrap a rag around the area for safety, but when I see the fluid ride into the bleeder, I know the master is full and I close the bleeder. Quite often I don't even have to touch the lever. Btw, I think you run a greater risk of drips removing a hose that has had fluid run thru it.
Btw, I know a great way to get rock hard brake feel when bleeding front brakes
Old May 30th 2014, 03:51 PM   #48

You said that you watch the fluid come off the bleeder. But since the bleeder is not transparent, but the time you "watch it", it might already be landed somewhere you don't want to.
Call me paranoid, but I do not open bleeders w/out something to catch the spill.
Old May 30th 2014, 04:15 PM   #49

Talking

Read again, I never said OFF. I said out as in look inside the bleeder and watch it ride. You do know there is no pressure in there to make it spray if you don't squeeze the lever, right?The interior of the bleeder is 1/4" or deeper, and the fluid gently rises. Unless someone runs up on you and squeezes the lever violently, no fluid ever has to leave the bleeder. Again, should a tiny drip come out, I have a rag wrapped around it. What do you do about the ounce or more of fluid in your bleeder hose when you remove it? It's got to be in there? NO fluid exits my bleeder. It always works, and I never drip fluid.
No this doesn't work for an empty system being refilled, but I do leave the cap off, open the lower bleeder a lot, put a hose on it and let it gravity bleed. Then I follow with the other procedure mentioned and it's a clean, air free system.
Hope you don't also believe that batteries drain faster on concrete?
Old May 30th 2014, 05:10 PM   #50

Hope you don't also believe that batteries drain faster on concrete?
I am not sure what that matters with anything, but I do believe air not always ends up right at the nipple, where you hope to catch it w/out forcing fluids into the lines.
Anyway, whatever works for you.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
bleed, clutch, cylinder, master

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.