Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 8th 2012, 07:16 PM   #1

Base vs Tri Fueling and Performance

Picked up a base, no abs, for racing the remainder of this season and for set up and prep for the next full season. I was amazed (and disappointed) on how much smoother the fuel delivery, throttle response, and performance is of the base over the Tri. And I'm talking about the tri with termi cans only and then later added the termi headers and the base is still superior in all aspects of performance right out of the box.

So for those out there still deciding between models, honestly, get the base, no abs (it's wired for ABS and I'm sure aftermarket or track take offs will be available), keep stock exhaust, add ohlins, get a custom paint job and save yourself 8-10 large.

I just can't understand how Termi had first crack at designing a system for the bike in coordination with Ducati and failed so badly.

Old Aug 8th 2012, 07:33 PM   #2

I Ride: Ducati 1199 Base Model
What happened to your Tri?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Gim

Interesting info. Thanks for sharing.

Did the Tricolor with Termis have the same hole at 4-5K RPM? When riding on the street I find that kind of annoying if you are pulling out of a really slow corner. I'm going to try a 14T sprocket which should help keep the revs up a bit too.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 07:48 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Gim View Post
Interesting info. Thanks for sharing.

Did the Tricolor with Termis have the same hole at 4-5K RPM? When riding on the street I find that kind of annoying if you are pulling out of a really slow corner. I'm going to try a 14T sprocket which should help keep the revs up a bit too.
Be curious to hear the result of your sprocket change.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 05:13 AM   #5

Once again, it's all a matter of self opinion. No regrets at all buying my Tri. Especially when it came to price!
Old Aug 9th 2012, 06:10 AM   #6

Originally Posted by elitesoldier357 View Post
What happened to your Tri?
Nothing happened with the tri. Still have it. I'll likely get a bazzaz and tune it.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 06:25 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post
Once again, it's all a matter of self opinion. No regrets at all buying my Tri. Especially when it came to price!
I hear ya. I don't regret buying the tri, most beautiful bike ever made and still an awesome bike. To me though, the Termi full system ended up being a bust. IMO, for the extra 2,200 bucks for the pipe you'd expect more from them than making performance worse. If I can tune out the weak spots it'll make a big difference.

I am drawing my personal experience for those comparing models from a pure performance perspective. For those not as concerned with aesthetics and LEDs, you can buy a base and use the savings to make performance the bike scream on the road or track.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 06:38 AM   #8

I Ride: the road
Wow!!!!

Talk about sweeping statements.

Anyone ever heard of one unit performing better/worse than another unit?

Also, what does this have to do with Base and Tri, other than the fact that the particular engines you are basing this on was in those configs?
Old Aug 9th 2012, 06:58 AM   #9

I believe you can make the tri/S fueled the same way that a base is. Just remove the termi's/pipe and have it in stock exhaust setup. Same map/fueling. .. Now if one is complaining about the termi's - yes, there are things to complain about there as they've changed the map and there are marginal improvements as others have noted. The problem is that any ECU supplied by a manufacturer these days still kind of complies with EPA (lambda/o2 sensors, etc) regulations. The exhaust cans themselves are marked as "off-road use or non dot compliant", but the ECU's arent necessarily fully optimized for such.

But reading what you're trying to do in making a race bike - if you're going to add ohlins, you might as well get the S at that point. . . . you're fueling issues are not because of ohlins, abs, or paint options but the termi's and ecu - both of which will probably be easily fixed.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 07:17 AM   #10

I Ride: 2012 Ducati 1199 Base and 2005 Ducati 749
U got tri owners upset lol

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
base, fueling, performance, tri

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.