Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree14Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 14th 2014, 08:09 AM   #21

I Ride: Panigale 1199 R
Originally Posted by Stw View Post
Forgive me for saying this...but given your questions etc..Do you think it wise to tackle this job yourself???
Well I can always try right? If I have the right tool and watching some you tube videos I think I can do my self.
Also I see this post helped few people... just keep positive!
I did not know how to install the LTD Fender Eliminator...well I try few times and I got installed and now to remove it again if need it I can remove in 5 minutes. The first time took me over 2 hrs.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by zx7md; Apr 14th 2014 at 08:24 AM.

Old Apr 14th 2014, 08:15 AM   #22
Retired

you can find cheaper tools but this is one of the best I've seen, will last forever, I've been using mine for years. Just follow the instructions carefully, in using a rivet link it has to be done just so.

Also, I'd recommend breaking the old chain and putting it side-by-side with the new chain to get the length correct.

Amazon.com: D.I.D KM501E Sport Cutting and Riveting Tool KM501E: Automotive

fyi this tool will cut your chain as well as set rivet links (you can use a clip type master link, but most everyone recommends the rivet type. I've used both over the years with no probs but started using rivet links many years ago.

This looks like a pretty good vid on using the tool

Originally Posted by zx7md View Post
Hey guys,
If I buy this one "DID 525ZVMXG-110 Gold X-Ring Chain with Connecting Link"
What additional tools I'll need to make this chain to fix on my Bike?
Please give me the link for amazon website with the right tool to break this chain.

I'm getting from amazon:
Amazon.com: DID 525ZVMXG-110 Gold X-Ring Chain with Connecting Link: Automotive
Old Apr 14th 2014, 08:22 AM   #23

I Ride: Panigale 1199 R
Originally Posted by zvez View Post
you can find cheaper tools but this is one of the best I've seen, will last forever, I've been using mine for years. Just follow the instructions carefully, in using a rivet link it has to be done just so.

Also, I'd recommend breaking the old chain and putting it side-by-side with the new chain to get the length correct.

Amazon.com: D.I.D KM501E Sport Cutting and Riveting Tool KM501E: Automotive

fyi this tool will cut your chain as well as set rivet links (you can use a clip type master link, but most everyone recommends the rivet type. I've used both over the years with no probs but started using rivet links many years ago.

This looks like a pretty good vid on using the tool

DID chain tool review and tutorial - YouTube
Hey Chris!!!! You are the best!!!! Thank you! Well... I will try !!!
Old Apr 14th 2014, 08:22 AM   #24
Retired

NOTE: for the zvm chain you WILL need to order this 500R replacement pin for the tool to work correctly on riveting this type chain.

Amazon.com: D.I.D. Chain DID KM500R-PIN: Automotive

info about the pin change here:

D.I.D. Racing Chains and DirtStar® Rims
Thanks from zx7md
Old Apr 14th 2014, 08:28 AM   #25
Stw

Well I can always try right? If I have the right tool and watching some you tube videos I think I can do my self.
Also I see this post helped few people... just keep positive!
I did not know how to install the LTD Fender Eliminator...well I try few times and I got installed and now to remove it again if need it I can remove in 5 minutes. The first time took me over 2 hrs.

Thanks for the help!
Of course....Good luck...
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:16 AM   #26
Retired

no worries, absolutely you can do it, if you have questions just post up here and someone can answer.

The nice thing about a single sided swingarm is that you don't generally have chain alignment issues.

Hey Chris!!!! You are the best!!!! Thank you! Well... I will try !!!
Thanks from zx7md
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:20 AM   #27
Stw

I only voiced my concerns earlier as the questions seemed very basic and it worries me that a chain cut and connected/installed by someone with no experience or admitted mechanical aptitude is a potentially dangerous proposition..... Be careful... Please!!
Thanks from quackquack and transdesigner
Old Apr 15th 2014, 06:57 AM   #28

I Ride: 2013 1199 Panigale abs
Originally Posted by Stw View Post
I only voiced my concerns earlier as the questions seemed very basic and it worries me that a chain cut and connected/installed by someone with no experience or admitted mechanical aptitude is a potentially dangerous proposition..... Be careful... Please!!
i will be doing this soon as well. does anyone have any front/rear sprocket advice for a quick swap out? going to go with a 40 rear sprocket. do i need to get a 105 link chain? do i have to get a whole new carrier for the rear sprocket etc? or can i simply buy a drop in 15 front (OEM on standard model right?) and a +1 (40T) in the rear and a 105 link chain...
Old Apr 15th 2014, 07:01 AM   #29
Stw

Originally Posted by azimmerlyjr View Post
i will be doing this soon as well. does anyone have any front/rear sprocket advice for a quick swap out? going to go with a 40 rear sprocket. do i need to get a 105 link chain? do i have to get a whole new carrier for the rear sprocket etc? or can i simply buy a drop in 15 front (OEM on standard model right?) and a +1 (40T) in the rear and a 105 link chain...
15/39 is stock... May I ask why you are changing the rear by only one tooth??
Old Apr 15th 2014, 07:02 AM   #30

Originally Posted by azimmerlyjr View Post
You can't have an odd number of links. You must move up to 106 links, in which case you should just get the 41T as per Ducati recommendation. You can get a 1 piece sprocket or a 2 piece quickchange, that is totally up to you.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
bike, chain, good

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.