Ducati Forum

Ducati Forum (http://ducatiforum.com/ducati-forum.php)
-   Ducati 1199 (http://ducatiforum.com/ducati-1199/)
-   -   Will I ever get to the track? (http://ducatiforum.com/ducati-1199/17777-will-i-ever-get-track.html)

Thamer Apr 26th 2014 11:24 PM

Will I ever get to the track?

Well in an effort to bitch and vent a little I thought i'd spill my thoughts out on the forum.....figured you guys would be the only ones to understand my anguish about riding.

My last track day was in early February. Since then the Tracks in Bahrain, the F1 track and Losail, Qatar (4 hours away) have been closed due to events and maintenance. Well the tracks opened up last week. Of course I "had" to take my wife to Morocco for our anniversary (or it might have been our last one...lol). Now i will leave to go to Spain for 10 days (of which I was able to squeeze 2 days to go to Jerez). In these 10 days I will miss 3 more track days.....well let me say in the next 20 days, because one day after getting home I have to fly to New York for work.

Needless to say it is getting fucking hot here in the desert and there maybe only a couple of track days left before they close down for the summer. This all sucks as I have a $30k bike, (plus goodies), and I've only managed about 4 track days this past 9 months. What acerbates the situation for me is that it is getting to track season all over the U.S. (which I'm really happy for everyone State side, though it may not sound like it) as I will have to hang up my helmet and gloves for the year.

I have her on a tender and I go to the garage and crank her over to move the fluids and listen to the symphonic notes of the exhaust, but I equate that to visiting a strip club only to go home and rub one out :(

Watching GP and SBK now brings me to a heroine trance like delirium only to feel that depression and nausea when it is over, (needless to say I can't not not watch, as is the way with addiction).

I am 45 years old with maybe only a few dozen track days left in my life. Fuck! It sucks when its put like that, right?

I feel the seals and gaskets on her drying up, the faintest of dust settles on her, new slicks, oil and she sits motionless like a lion lying dead in the Serengeti ....its like watching a loved one in a comma, hoping they wake up.

This is how I feel. Not always, but right now.

Thanks for listening.

double0 Apr 26th 2014 11:46 PM

Welcome to life. Being that I'm 10 years your junior, I'm in no position to tell you about this obvious fact. I'm a single parent and only have my 7yr old son on the weekends and only work from 6:30a.m. til noon monday through friday. Yet, I still can't manage to find enough time to ride. If it ain't one thing, it's another. Being a weekend parent sucks for me in terms of potential track days simply because finding someone to watch my lil man is hard. Sure I could bring him trackside but he can't sit still n would ruin the experience. Could I blame him? Hell no. Plus I still have to buy a cheap 600 to track anyway but that's besides the point. If I was married and had a demanding career, it would both satisfy my urge to cater to all my materialistic goodies (cars, bikes, watches, etc) but at the same time take away from being able to enjoy those same things that I'd get a kick out of. Solution? Sacrifice and do things in moderation. Enough so that you still cater to that non-stop itch. Maybe that's just crabs but anyway, back to my point. Basically what I'm sayin is I hear ya. Time waits for no man and all we do is grow old. Enjoy each opportunity you get to hit the track n make the best of it. Don't dwell on it. Find other things that will satisfy the itch in a different way since nothing comes close to the exhilarating feeling of WOT!

Good luck with your quest. Many of us are there with ya n share your frustration.

wilkson Apr 27th 2014 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thamer (Post 154659)
Well in an effort to bitch and vent a little I thought i'd spill my thoughts out on the forum.....figured you guys would be the only ones to understand my anguish about riding.

My last track day was in early February. Since then the Tracks in Bahrain, the F1 track and Losail, Qatar (4 hours away) have been closed due to events and maintenance. Well the tracks opened up last week. Of course I "had" to take my wife to Morocco for our anniversary (or it might have been our last one...lol). Now i will leave to go to Spain for 10 days (of which I was able to squeeze 2 days to go to Jerez). In these 10 days I will miss 3 more track days.....well let me say in the next 20 days, because one day after getting home I have to fly to New York for work.

Needless to say it is getting fucking hot here in the desert and there maybe only a couple of track days left before they close down for the summer. This all sucks as I have a $30k bike, (plus goodies), and I've only managed about 4 track days this past 9 months. What acerbates the situation for me is that it is getting to track season all over the U.S. (which I'm really happy for everyone State side, though it may not sound like it) as I will have to hang up my helmet and gloves for the year.

I have her on a tender and I go to the garage and crank her over to move the fluids and listen to the symphonic notes of the exhaust, but I equate that to visiting a strip club only to go home and rub one out :(

Watching GP and SBK now brings me to a heroine trance like delirium only to feel that depression and nausea when it is over, (needless to say I can't not not watch, as is the way with addiction).

I am 45 years old with maybe only a few dozen track days left in my life. Fuck! It sucks when its put like that, right?

I feel the seals and gaskets on her drying up, the faintest of dust settles on her, new slicks, oil and she sits motionless like a lion lying dead in the Serengeti ....its like watching a loved one in a comma, hoping they wake up.

Thanks for listening.

You did say 45 . Fuck me you got a good 20 years left in you .
I took my dad with me last weekend for a three day ride we covered over 2000 k's in three days his 77 .
Some of my racing mates are mid 50's and still quick . Chin up Buddy .

jarelj Apr 27th 2014 03:51 AM

Quote:

WTF?!?! I'm 44, are you telling me I only have a few dozen track days left in my life!?!? Holy crap, I better treat every track day like it's my last, I had no idea, I was planning on riding for at least another 20 years!! :confused::confused::(:(:(:o:o:o:p:p:p;););):D:D:D

I feel your pain Thamer, there's no worse feeling in the world than missing a track day, I've gone to extreme lengths in the past to arrange things so I don't have to miss track days, including buying a track day company! Ha ha!

Warp Racer Apr 27th 2014 04:08 AM

54 and still doing track days (in Thailand). My family & bike are in Thailand and I work in the Middle East, so I have to suck it up way more than you :)

Thamer Apr 27th 2014 04:19 AM

[QUOTE=jarelj;154674]WTF?!?! I'm 44, are you telling me I only have a few dozen track days left in my life!?!? Holy crap, I better treat every track day like it's my last, I had no idea, I was planning on riding for at least another 20 years!! :confused::confused::(:(:(:o:o:o:p:p:p;););):D:D:D

I meant another few dozen where my body might be able to recover from trying to be Hercules unchained on the track...lol. After that I will have to slow down ( I'm slow now...lol). There was a time where I could do twice as much in half the time, where now I'm afraid it's becoming half as much in twice the time.

Or as they say " what I use to do all night, now takes me all night to do"....lol.

Montfort Apr 27th 2014 04:19 AM

[QUOTE=wilkson;154665]You did say 45 . Fuck me you got a good 20 years left in you .

He's got more than that!

jarelj Apr 27th 2014 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thamer (Post 154679)
I meant another few dozen where my body might be able to recover from trying to be Hercules unchained on the track...lol. After that I will have to slow down ( I'm slow now...lol). There was a time where I can twice as much in half the time, where I'm afraid it will become half as much in twice the time.

Or as they say " what I use to do all night, now takes me all night to do"....lol.

Ha ha! Well, yeah there's a lot of truth to that for sure, I now take 800mg of Ibuprofen automatically at the end of every track day just to try to stave off the creaky knees and back I'll have the next morning otherwise! :) We have a huge bottle of the stuff in our race trailer, all of us old guys hand it around at the end of the day, we call it "Track Candy"!

Warp Racer Apr 27th 2014 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarelj (Post 154681)
Ha ha! Well, yeah there's a lot of truth to that for sure, I now take 800mg of Ibuprofen automatically at the end of every track day just to try to stave off the creaky knees and back I'll have the next morning otherwise! :) We have a huge bottle of the stuff in our race trailer, all of us old guys hand it around at the end of the day, we call it "Track Candy"!

I use Celebrex 400mg in Thailand. Does the job well for a creaky left knee :)

WAfatboy Apr 27th 2014 04:30 AM

Quote:

Thanks for listening.

45 WTF I'm nearly 47 and I'm planning that many track days before the end of June ;)

I hope I'm riding into my 60s...there's a guy who we ride with from time to time who is 77