Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree22Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7th 2014, 07:42 PM   #1

I Ride: 1199S, S1000RR, CBR600F4, FLTR, GSX-R750, VFR, DLR650, CL77
Track day prep

I've searched the forums and must be missing the obvious. Can anyone point me to the thread(s) detailing prepping the 1199 for a track day (e.g., mirror and license plate holder removal, disabling headlight, etc.). Thanks.

Old May 7th 2014, 08:09 PM   #2

I Ride: 2012 1199
Not really much to it to run in a novice class.

1) Unscrew the four bolts holding the two mirrors and disconnect the turn signal wiring.
2) Tape up the headlights (or disconnect the fuse from the fusebox). Although the fuse does not disable the DRL LEDS.
3) Remove rear seat cowl and unscrew the four bolts holding in the license plate assembly. Disconnect the three wires from that as well.
4) Heavily tape up the tail lights since they are very bright.
Thanks from LarryS and 92GTA
Old May 8th 2014, 01:24 AM   #3

I Ride: Hayabusa, R1, R6, WRF450, ZX10, 1199R
5. Ride the heck off it :-)
Thanks from LarryS
Old May 8th 2014, 08:01 AM   #4

Check with the organization hosting the event. Each org has their own policies. With plastic headlights (and a no-rearview-mirror policy), there's no need to tape usually. And mirrors can also be folded/taped usually (I take mine off, but they are a pain to get back on at the end of the day if you ride your bike back from the track).

You will need to tape your rear brake lights no matter who you ride with, but again, just poke around the hosting organization's website. Most organizations want you to replace your coolant with water only or with water wetter and water.

Most importantly, prep your mind for the day:
Know what the flags mean
Don't get into any informal races between you and someone else in your group (keep your cool)
Make safe passes, watch for idiots
Watch motorcycle track day videos of the circuit configuration and direction (CCW, CW) to learn the lines and the track before showing up
If there's a red flag, slow to a stop, don't jam on the brakes.
If you get into a wreck, get the hell away from your bike if you can still move. Whatever caused you to go down could cause someone else to go down.
If you crash on the track, GET THE HELL OFF THE TRACK! Leave your bike. Resist the urge to pick it up--it's not going to get damaged any more just lying on its side.

Stay hydrated. Bring sunscreen or a hat. Have fun.
Thanks from LarryS, Styler, kope999R and 2 others

Last edited by AntiHero; May 8th 2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old May 8th 2014, 08:48 AM   #5

I Ride: Ducati 1199,MV Agusta F4r,Ducati MTS 1200S,MV Agusta brutale 1090rr
1- duck tape the wheels weight.

2-painted tape the head light first and then put black duck take (I usually dont disconnected the head light)

3- painted tape the tail light follow by duck tape (tail light is fucking bright) a lot duck tape.

4- I don't removed my mirror I just tape the glass and the turn signal.

5-remove the plate and tape the plate light and the turn signal.

6- CHECK ALL YOUR FARING BOLT TRUST ME ON THIS (you will be missing couple by the end of the track day )

7- change you clutch fluid for some reason it overheat if you don't change it (10 min job)

8- bring a bicycle air pump a least and a good tire pressure gauge

9- get a easy up or some type of canopy the sun will cook you

10- bring earplug

11- unless you tires are like 80% new most of the track will tell you the get new ones (you can get a good deal at the track )

12- BRING A LOT WATER NO ENERGY DRINK

13- bring some basic tools

14- bring a extra visor for you helmet

15- get some sleep the night before dont try to pack you stuff at 11pm and the go to sleep for 4 hours

16- If you feel tire by the lunch time take a rest for couple section (you dont have to do all the section)

I know you only ask for prepping the bike but some time we put too much attention to just the bike and forged about our self.

be safe
Thanks from LarryS, Styler, kope999R and 1 others
Old May 8th 2014, 09:20 AM   #6

Also bring a lot zip tight and duck tape (you will be surprise the shit you can do), do you self a favor and don't bring your dog he will hate you (dog can hear as low as 10 db) he is not going to like it when there is 50 bike screaming over 100 db.
Thanks from LarryS
Old May 8th 2014, 09:44 AM   #7

As a trackday instructor/coach, let me add a bit to AntiHero's list. I can't stress enough to play close attention at the rider's meeting and ask questions if you are unsure. different tracks pose different problems that are gone over in the meeting. We have horrible crashes due to improper entering and leaving of the track, and they are always caused by someone doing something we repeatedly spoke of in the riders meeting.
One thing antihero mentioned that I'd like to "tweak" is that if you fall on the track, until you see what is coming STAY DOWN! I've been run over and not broken a bone. Peter Lenz died because he stood up and took a bike to the chest. My friend died because they sat up. you need to stay below the axle centerline of a bike. In a race environment when I've fallen on the track I try to stay still and count on the skills of the other riders to avoid an inanimate object, not act like a squirrel in the road.
Thanks from Montfort, AntiHero, LarryS and 2 others
Old May 8th 2014, 10:15 AM   #8

Originally Posted by mrbrettbaker View Post
As a trackday instructor/coach, let me add a bit to AntiHero's list. I can't stress enough to play close attention at the rider's meeting and ask questions if you are unsure. different tracks pose different problems that are gone over in the meeting. We have horrible crashes due to improper entering and leaving of the track, and they are always caused by someone doing something we repeatedly spoke of in the riders meeting.
One thing antihero mentioned that I'd like to "tweak" is that if you fall on the track, until you see what is coming STAY DOWN! I've been run over and not broken a bone. Peter Lenz died because he stood up and took a bike to the chest. My friend died because they sat up. you need to stay below the axle centerline of a bike. In a race environment when I've fallen on the track I try to stay still and count on the skills of the other riders to avoid an inanimate object, not act like a squirrel in the road.
you got a real valid point, I will take this one to my self thank you
Old May 8th 2014, 11:03 AM   #9

I Ride: Panigale V4S
All of the above!

If you can, take your bike in a van, especially if the track you're heading to is anything more than an hour and a half away. The last thing you'll want to do at the end of a days racing is to try ride home when you are physically shot. The other thing is that after riding at full speed all day you'll think you're doing 70/80mph, look down and realise you're doing 120mph!!

But the other thing is that while all of the previous posts are very valid, very important and lifesaving tips.........

Chill out and enjoy it. Track days are awesome and you'll fall in love with that bike a lil bit more
Thanks from LarryS
Old May 8th 2014, 02:05 PM   #10

I Ride: 1199S, S1000RR, CBR600F4, FLTR, GSX-R750, VFR, DLR650, CL77
Thanks all. Not a track day newbie, been doing it for years on dedicated track bikes. Mostly was looking for info on the specifics of preparing the Panigale for the track (e.g., easiest way to disable taillight/headlight, any tricks for removing the mirrors, etc.). That said, good info was offered by all and it is appreciated.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
day, prep, track