Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree9Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19th 2014, 03:37 PM   #1

Another Suspension Option

I have been looking at all my options to find a better performing suspension set up. I went through all the usual options, but honestly I just don't want to spend over $2k for cartridges and a TTX for a mainly commuter bike. I want better suspension for those few times a month where I hit the canyons and the couple times a year I do a track day though. I spoke with Race Tech and was able to get the attached quote from them. Basically, to respring and revalve a base model 1199 with Gold valves the total comes to $1270.66 with labor and parts.

So I guess the point of this thread is to ask, Has anyone ridden a sport bike on Race Tech suspension? I know I love their stuff for supermoto and motorcross but have never ridden their street stuff. Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2012 DUCATI PANIGALE REVALVE.pdf (39.5 KB, 51 views)

Old May 19th 2014, 03:55 PM   #2

I Ride: 2015 Panigale R, 2018 XDiavel S
Wow for a commuter and a couple of track days per year the base forks are pretty good if you can keep them from leaking. Just put some springs in for your weight dial in the correct preload, compression and rebound and you should be good to go. I wouldn't waste the money. If you take it through the canyons a lot and do a lot of track day then I would be looking for something else.

I would trash the rear Sachs they are crap. Get a TTX-36 MK II or anything other than the the OEM.
Thanks from Cloner
Old May 19th 2014, 04:07 PM   #3

My forks are already shot with the rebound issue. Im waiting to get home from deployment to take the bike in to get them replaced under warranty. I am definitely going to replace the rear, either with a TTX or have Race Tech rebuild it with their valving and spring. For what a TTX would cost me, I could do the forks and shock through Race Tech. Which is why I am hoping for opinions on Race Techs street suspension.
Old May 19th 2014, 04:07 PM   #4

I Ride: 2013 1199 ABS
I raced with G2 (Generation 2) Gold Valves in my Forks and shock. It is an obvious improvement over stock Showa forks for sure. I was able to ride an expert race pace with them.
If you don't have to have Ohlins on your fork caps and would rather save a grand in the process it's a good way to go.... That said, you might look into Ohlins valve kits. I remember having to choose between the two when I did mine. I was able to swing a steeper discount on the Racetech so that's what I bought.

All of the above was on an '06 GSXR 1000

BTW, unless your seals and dust caps are already fucked up there's no reason to change them. That's just gouging if you ask me.
Thanks from Cloner
Old May 19th 2014, 04:10 PM   #5

Originally Posted by bikenamenumber View Post
I raced with G2 (Generation 2) Gold Valves in my Forks and shock. It is an obvious improvement over stock Showa forks for sure. I was able to ride an expert race pace with them.
If you don't have to have Ohlins on your fork caps and would rather save a grand in the process it's a good way to go.... That said, you might look into Ohlins valve kits. I remember having to choose between the two when I did mine. I was able to swing a steeper discount on the Racetech so that's what I bought.

All of the above was on an '06 GSXR 1000

BTW, unless your seals and dust caps are already fucked up there's no reason to change them. That's just gouging if you ask me.
I don't really care about the name on the caps, just want something set up for my weight that works better than OEM. I'm not sure on the dust caps and seals, Im deployed so I cant check right now. I asked him to throw the quote in with replacing everything so there would be no surprises. Im sure they are fine though, bike only have 1300 miles on it.

Last edited by Kx450fsm; May 19th 2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old May 19th 2014, 04:20 PM   #6

I Ride: 2013 1199 ABS
Originally Posted by Kx450fsm View Post
I don't really care about the name on the caps, just want something set up for my weight that works better than OEM. I'm not sure on the dust caps and seals, Im deployed so I asked him to throw the quote in with replacing everything so there would be no surprises. Im sure they are fine though, bike only have 1300 miles on it.
If you are getting replacement forks under warranty then your seals will not need to be replaced.

I will echo the earlier message that getting the right spring weight is huge. Nothing else will work optimally if they are wrong and not properly preloaded for you.

I'm not like a lot other riders out there. I only ride out of town through the canyons and up twisty mountain passes. I think that the stock forks and shock feel great. I know what shitty suspension feels like and the Panigale doesn't have shitty suspension. Like I said, I'm in the minority on this perspective.

I don't imagine you will be disappointed with any improvement you make to the suspension. Go for it.
Thanks from Cloner
Old May 19th 2014, 04:28 PM   #7

I 100% need to respring for my weight. I have adjusted sag, preload, compression, and rebound as close as I can but since I am a fat kid its not close.
Old May 19th 2014, 05:18 PM   #8

Here may be another option out of Anaheim, CA: RG3 Suspension - Street Revalve

One of the US magazines had them redo suspension on a Jap bike and they were very pleased with the results, especially given the price alternative to aftermarket replacement suspension. Never used them myself but heard good things. Here are some prices they give as examples for re-valve jobs on their website:

Revalve
Model Price ($)
REVALVE Honda CBR 600 / 1000
Forks 224.95
Shock 224.95
TOTAL : 449.90
*Fluid and wear parts extra.
Model Price ($)
REVALVE Kawasaki ZX 600*/636/10 *Requires Ohlins Fork Cartridges
Forks 224.95
Shock 224.95
Model Price ($)
REVALVE Suzuki GSXR 600/750/1000
Hayabusa
Forks 224.95
Shock 224.95
Model Price ($)
REVALVE Yamaha R6/R1
Forks 224.95
Shock 224.95
Thanks from Stw

Last edited by JeffD; May 19th 2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old May 19th 2014, 05:44 PM   #9

I Ride: 2013 1199 Panigale ABS, 2008 GSXR1000
I had the Race Tech gold valves installed on the base forks by a local guru. In his opinion the Marzocchi internals are quality components and gold valves are not required. Just have your guru revalve your forks.
I haven't tracked the bike with the gold valves but have had lots of spirited riding through rough twisties. The forks are nice and responsive and handle bumps well. They bottom out on occasion but not too harshly - I may add a scosh more oil.
Old May 19th 2014, 06:12 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Mescuzy View Post
Just have your guru revalve your forks.

I am a little confused by the statement I quoted. I am not very knowledgeable on suspension components so I am easily confused though.

I do like the stock Marzocchi forks, just need to respring for my weight and get the rebound issue fixed (rebound screw doesnt change anything).

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
option, race tech, suspension