Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 16th 2012, 09:21 AM   #1

I Ride: Ducati 1199 S ABS & '09 Triumph Daytona 675
Steering difficult??

Has anyone else had this experience:

When making turns, especially long ones like a freeway entrance or exit ramp, it gets difficult to hold your push on the bars in the turn?? Like, the bike is trying hard to up-right it self, it's pushing back against your hand.

Maybe I'm not giving it enough gas? I'm not sure, I've never experienced this before. My Daytona does not give this level of pressure back against my hand when making similar turns. I wonder if it's because of the bigger rear tire, or if the bike needs to be moving quicker to stay leaned that much?

I don't know!!! Anyone else?

Old Aug 16th 2012, 09:33 AM   #2

I Ride: 2012 1199 Panigale Tri
suspension setup and tire pressure?
Old Aug 16th 2012, 09:35 AM   #3

Longer wheelbase naturally makes the vehicle want to go straight, could also refer to as stability.

Maybe it's your personal reference against the Daytona. I feel the Pani is actually quite easy to lean over, like a 600cc SS.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 09:38 AM   #4

I do not experience that. Lots of things could cause that including body position.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 09:43 AM   #5

Originally Posted by tstephenson View Post
suspension setup and tire pressure?
suspension is default for race, and tire pressure is stock as well.

Originally Posted by jyli19 View Post
Longer wheelbase naturally makes the vehicle want to go straight, could also refer to as stability.

Maybe it's your personal reference against the Daytona. I feel the Pani is actually quite easy to lean over, like a 600cc SS.
Thing is, most of the time I think it's easy to lean over as well. At normal road speeds I can dip it back and forth with ease! It seems like the only times it really pushes back like this is during slow turning (i.e. neighborhood streets) and slower on and off ramps.

Originally Posted by lardawge View Post
I do not experience that. Lots of things could cause that including body position.
Body position is generally quite good. Supporting myself with my core and legs on the bike, not relying on the bars for stability/support.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:02 AM   #6

I Ride: 2012 1199 Panigale Tri
if you are feeling this at really slow speeds it may just be the transition between counter steer and steering.

Not sure the exact speed (15 -20MPH) but the bike will transition from counter steering (pushing on the bar opposite direction of turn) to regular steering where you steer the bars into the turn. This will make the bike feel very heavy to turn using the bars.

This is only at very low sppe though
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:04 AM   #7

I Ride: Ducati 1199 Tricolore S, 1199 Panigale ABS, Bimota Tesi2D,DB-7,DB1,etc. BMW alpha Racing s1000rr
Hmmmmm. Let's see here. Try the following- Find your turn-in point, gas off, steering input (bike is now in turn heading for apex) slowly and continuously crack the throttle on to get the weight to transfer 60/40 rear bias immediately after the bike is turned, next hit your mid-point (rolling on gas)- then find your exit point out of the turn. All the while (slowly applying gas).

Motorcycle Riding School - California Superbike School

Keith Code
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:13 AM   #8

Originally Posted by George Villar View Post
Hmmmmm. Let's see here. Try the following- Find your turn-in point, gas off, steering input (bike is now in turn heading for apex) slowly and continuously crack the throttle on to get the weight to transfer 60/40 rear bias immediately after the bike is turned, next hit your mid-point (rolling on gas)- then find your exit point out of the turn. All the while (slowly applying gas).

Motorcycle Riding School - California Superbike School

Keith Code
Yeah, I'm familiar with Keith Code's instruction for corner entry and exit, but I don't really know if it applies to neighborhood street turns and speeds lol. Maybe not even in the on and off ramps on the highway since I'm just cruising and just want to hold a turn, although that may be the place to experiment with input, because that was exactly my thought: crack the throttle open slowly and consistently. I think it may have helped a bit.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:28 AM   #9

I Ride: Ducati 1199 Tricolore S, 1199 Panigale ABS, Bimota Tesi2D,DB-7,DB1,etc. BMW alpha Racing s1000rr
The bike will only turn if UNSTABLE, as you know. Then it will hold its line only if STABLE = on the gas. Ever so very slowly on the gas, but on the gas. I do this for street riding too, not just the track (except the gas is on more fully). This also means that you may not be looking far enough ahead to the next POINT.

Ride safe!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 12:02 PM   #10
Site Sponsor

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
What's your front tire pressure PSI? That is a classic description of what it feels like with low air pressure in the front.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
difficult, steering