Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:47 PM   #1

I Ride: 1199 ABS
Running costs: ride an 1199 for free?

I've been trying to persuade my wife into seeing the imminent financial sense of my buying a Panigale. Feel free to take a moment to roll your eyes.

But seriously, I have been trying to make this work on paper. The way I see it, a $20,000 (with tax) Ducati will lose about 25% of its value over two years' use. That equals a little over $200/month in depreciation.

However, because my current ride (BMW X5 SUV) gets about 17 MPG, the Ducati (at @~37 MPG) will save me about $200/month in fuel costs.

Maintenance costs aside (I would have to maintain my BMW just as much if I drove it instead of the Duc), and insurance costs notwithstanding, it looks to me like I could conceivably break even on running costs with a new Panigale.

Soooooo, my question is: am I missing something? It sounds too good to be true, so I am definitely afraid that my calculations are off. At the same time, I am a Ducati addict, and I feel like I must find a way to justify this purchase. I'd be most grateful for any and all input from those of you in the know.

Thanks,

Luke

Old Aug 17th 2012, 11:03 PM   #2

I Ride: 1199 S
Forget the numbers as a daily commute with the Pani is very optional !!!

If you love the bike and the Ducati name how does that march up in numbers ?

You will age faster anyhow...... So that screws up your numbers once again !!

Life is too short man, do what you need to do !!

Post your pictures once it arrives !!
Old Aug 17th 2012, 11:17 PM   #3

Originally Posted by D1199 View Post
Forget the numbers as a daily commute with the Pani is very optional !!!

If you love the bike and the Ducati name how does that march up in numbers ?

You will age faster anyhow...... So that screws up your numbers once again !!

Life is too short man, do what you need to do !!

Post your pictures once it arrives !!
My first post and I couldn't agree more. Just picked up my Pani today. Must say that I was unsure of dropping the cash for Bella (yeah, I named her) but man, wow, what an awesome ride. My only concern was the heat from the exhaust and luckily for me, temps were 100+ today so she brought the heat and I'm okay with it. Sure, she get's hot but man oh man. Sold my S1000rr for her and the S1000rr felt utilitarian to me. Perfect commuter bike but I just didn't have a connection with it. Couldn't get past the way it looked and had no character. Bella, the way she sounds is truly a symphony to my ears and her looks, rivals my fiance' but don't tell her that! Both have the quick shift but hers is so much smoother it was definitely noticeable. Guess what I'm trying to say is to go for it. Justify it how you must but riding a Pani is truly a great experience!
Old Aug 17th 2012, 11:28 PM   #4

I Ride: 1199 ABS
Originally Posted by 4theride View Post
My first post and I couldn't agree more. Just picked up my Pani today. Must say that I was unsure of dropping the cash for Bella (yeah, I named her) but man, wow, what an awesome ride. My only concern was the heat from the exhaust and luckily for me, temps were 100+ today so she brought the heat and I'm okay with it. Sure, she get's hot but man oh man. Sold my S1000rr for her and the S1000rr felt utilitarian to me. Perfect commuter bike but I just didn't have a connection with it. Couldn't get past the way it looked and had no character. Bella, the way she sounds is truly a symphony to my ears and her looks, rivals my fiance' but don't tell her that! Both have the quick shift but hers is so much smoother it was definitely noticeable. Guess what I'm trying to say is to go for it. Justify it how you must but riding a Pani is truly a great experience!
LOL: I was definitely going to name my ride, too . . . which is weird, because I never named my last Ducati (Monster S4R)

Keep 'em coming, guys! I must say, I am a little inspired (brainwashed?) by your comments!
Old Aug 18th 2012, 01:47 AM   #5
Retired

commuting riding/around town, doubt you'll get 37mpg more like 30-32. If it's like most other ducs real world value it'll probably depreciate 25% the first year.

I think it'd be tough to argue the practicality of this bike as compared to a car. ie you won't(probably) ride in the rain to work, and if you have to carry anything ,etc.

Perhaps it'd be better to approach from the standpoint of riding is therapeutic, stress reliever , blah blah blah.

Originally Posted by luke View Post
I've been trying to persuade my wife into seeing the imminent financial sense of my buying a Panigale. Feel free to take a moment to roll your eyes.

But seriously, I have been trying to make this work on paper. The way I see it, a $20,000 (with tax) Ducati will lose about 25% of its value over two years' use. That equals a little over $200/month in depreciation.

However, because my current ride (BMW X5 SUV) gets about 17 MPG, the Ducati (at @~37 MPG) will save me about $200/month in fuel costs.

Maintenance costs aside (I would have to maintain my BMW just as much if I drove it instead of the Duc), and insurance costs notwithstanding, it looks to me like I could conceivably break even on running costs with a new Panigale.

Soooooo, my question is: am I missing something? It sounds too good to be true, so I am definitely afraid that my calculations are off. At the same time, I am a Ducati addict, and I feel like I must find a way to justify this purchase. I'd be most grateful for any and all input from those of you in the know.

Thanks,

Luke
Old Aug 18th 2012, 03:40 AM   #6

my purchsae could not be reasoned in any logical manner...I call it the indefensible...I love it.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 03:55 AM   #7

I have bought my Tric with th assistance of my late mother God bless her miss her loads. However it has also allowed me to buy more Carbon Fibre bits, new leathers, and a Carbon Fibre Arai RX7. It is a Machine my wife has loathed from day 1 of finding out. Every I look at "Eva" I will automatically think of my Mom and start the day off with happy thoughts. This for me is important. I will also be using it to go see clients when on my 3 day road trips and "Eva" is going to Germany 3rd week in September to see our horses over there. Cutting through traffic and saving time for me is way way more important than sitting in traffic.
The bottom line is if you can "sell it to yourself" you have got to have it. I have had th biggest uphill struggle to get "Eva" accepted but a compromise has been found and so hands on will be happening in the next 14 days!!!

Gnome
Old Aug 18th 2012, 04:35 AM   #8

I Ride: Panigale S
To be honest, IMHO, if you have to justify having this ( or any other depreciating "luxury" assets) you have already lost.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 04:58 AM   #9

I Ride: '12 1199 Panigale S Tricolore, '16 X-Diavel S, '18 BMW K1600B
don't forget to add the maintenance cost of replacing the front and rear tire every 2,500 miles as the pirelli is the only stock option out there for right now that seems to be the amount of miles they are averaging. ($265Rear, 173-Front, from amazon.com right now)

+1 on the emotional point of view, there is nothing fiscal about buying a new motorcycle, buying a a new motorcycle is letting your big kid out, plain and simple, unless you buy a scooter for real or a 250cc bike.

Last edited by mr anderson; Aug 18th 2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 05:02 AM   #10
Retired

YOu can get slightly cheaper from revzilla

$239 rear $167 front shipped free

Here's a link: http://www.revzilla.com/product/pire...rsa-rear-tires

Originally Posted by mr anderson View Post
don't forget to add the maintenance cost of replacing the front and rear tire every 2,500 miles as the pirelli is the only stock option out there for right now that seems to be the amount of miles they are averaging. ($265Rear, 173-Front, from amazon.com right now)

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
1199, costs, free, ride, running

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.