Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 2 Post By jarelj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 24th 2014, 05:17 AM   #1

Correct ECU Firmware with 41t sprocket?

Hi,

the last couple of weeks i have kept wondering why I had such a jerky throttle repsonse in the low rpm range. I was certain that this was not the case when the bike ran on its original gearing.

Now, i have had the 41t conversion done almost 6 months ago. The dealer told me, that they updated the ECU (due to the traction control update needed with the 41t sprocket conversion).

I visited my dealer yesterday. Out of curiousity I asked them if they knew if there were any updates for the 1199 ECU...so they hooked the bike up...and there was.

Now, I've got no clue which firmware version i had before the update and which version i have now..so dont ask.

All in all, the bike rides like a dream now.

The question, however, is:
The PC showed a firmware update for my bike. How does the software know, which is the correct firmware??

I know that the Duc software can tell wether i have a standard map, racing, or Raving evo installed and then search for the corresponding map update (either for stock cans, termi slip ons, or termi full).

But how does the software know, that i have gotten the 41T sprocket??

I'm just a little confused and worried now that i might have gotten an updated map, but without the TC adjustment for the 41T sprocket.

Any of you know how this update stuff works and how the Duc software knows which setup i am riding?

Old Jun 24th 2014, 05:50 AM   #2

I Ride: the road
As I recall, there has just been one software update, then a 41T version, when the retro-kit was released.

The service computer wouldn't know which sprocket, so it would list both options for any bike that was connected and the service tech would need to select the appropriate package.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 06:07 AM   #3
Site Sponsor

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
There are not multiple optional updates for any of the ECU's. The way it works is the bike is hooked up, the DDS checks to see if the software is updated to the latest version in the ECU and if not it downloads the latest version. There is no selection of which one to load, it's "latest available" and that's all. There is not a separate update for 41T sprocket, the latest update is good for both stock and 41T sprocket. I'm sure what they did for the 41T sprocket update was put a parameter in to measure rear wheel speed vs. crank speed so the system knows which sprocket is installed and can change the DTC and EBC calculations appropriately. Ducati have tried to keep this is simple as possible, could you imagine the service nightmare if they had to diagnose problems on bikes that could all be on different software versions? The solution is that all bikes get updated to the latest version when they're updated on the DDS, period, then they always know where they're starting from.
Thanks from southeastduc and JeffD
Old Jun 24th 2014, 06:55 AM   #4

I Ride: the road
It was over a year ago, when i was looking over tech's shoulder, but it seemed pretty simple at the time

But then maybe the 41T compatible map wasn't available when I had my upgrade?
Old Jun 24th 2014, 04:38 PM   #5

I Ride: 2008 HD FXCWC, 2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory, Next Duc Superbike
I think what Jarel is saying is that it's not specific to sprocket. Just a general update to the current version of engine software.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 12:19 AM   #6

I Ride: '12 1199 Panigale ABS
Do you have Termi's installed?

When I had a local dealer install the 41t and corresponding map update they failed to re-download the upmap. Bike ran like ass until I discovered the issue.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 02:30 AM   #7

I seriously doubt the is an engine map (or even a parameter) specific to gearing. Imagine the nightmare in racing!
The way it works I think is it correlates the wheel speed front & rear, for instance the system also doesn't know how much your pulling the clutch which influences engine to wheel speed ratio.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 05:36 AM   #8
Site Sponsor

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
Originally Posted by IdZer0 View Post
I seriously doubt the is an engine map (or even a parameter) specific to gearing. Imagine the nightmare in racing!
The way it works I think is it correlates the wheel speed front & rear, for instance the system also doesn't know how much your pulling the clutch which influences engine to wheel speed ratio.
It's not the fuel map that is specific to the gearing, it's the parameters for the DTC and EBC systems.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 09:49 AM   #9

Wouldn't it use the rear wheel (abs)sensor ring to determine rear wheel speed?

Using rpms to determine wheel speed seems so error prone.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
41t, correct, ecu, firmware, sprocket