Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree19Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 26th 2014, 07:31 PM   #1

Are OZ Racing Carlos Checa Piega Wheels an upgrade from the Panigale R wheels?

Kindly, I want to hear about this from R owners only. Interested to know if they are worth the $$$$ as a sexier alternative to BSTs (IMHO probably but have not seen them mounted on a Pani R in person) and even more importantly are they an upgrade over the stock R wheels? A difficult question I know. Also worth mentioning search turned up no results specific to the R. Pix and rider feedback talk the best!

Last edited by BAIBAICOP; Jun 26th 2014 at 07:38 PM.

Old Jun 26th 2014, 08:24 PM   #2

I Ride: 1199
Look wise, th majority will probably answer yes. In terms of weight and performance, no. The R/S wheels are lighter, period. No need in soending he money IMO. If you want an upgrade, get the OZ Cattive R 7 spoke magnesium wheels. That's an upgrade.
Thanks from kope999R and JeffD
Old Jun 26th 2014, 08:46 PM   #3

Using forum search for "Checa" came up with the thread about this very wheel:

http://ducati1199.com/ducati-1199/17...um-wheels.html

Post #10 from that thread from user Harmony Jim, who bought these wheels back in March of this year (pictures of the wheels are also in that thread). FYI - R wheels are the exact same as S and Tricolore wheels, minus the red rim stripe:

I just received my Carlos Checa OZ wheels today. First thing I did was weigh the wheels - together they are 2 full pounds heavier than the stock S model wheels off my Tricolore, 16.5 pounds versus 14.5 pounds. This is NOT including the front wheel adapters (2) and stainless steel screws (10) that mount the adapters to the wheel, which adds at least another half pound (although at the center of the wheel). Of far more concern though, was when I went to install the adapters. The first side went on perfectly with a touch of blue loctite, and 30Nm of torque applied to the ss mounting screws - unfortunately, the other side had one of the threaded holes defective (my guess is the machinist failed to fully thread the hole). The result was an instantly galled and broken ss mounting screw. Once it was clear there was a problem, I immediately tried to back it out (even using the back-and-forth "cha-cha" method), but it jammed solid in the hole, and the ss screw sheared off quite easily using an 8-inch Snap-On ratchet and very little torque. Word of caution here: if you feel ANY resistance to the mounting screw going in with no more than finger pressure, immediately and very carefully back it out before you shear it off - it may require chasing/rethreading the hole. Motowheels tells me they had never heard of this happening before - it figures I would be the lucky one who got the wheel Guido hurried through in his attempt to get the wheel done quickly. In their defense though, they sent me a free replacement screw the very next day. Not so good is the $50 it is costing me to have the broken screw extricated from the hole. First impression and quality-wise (I have not put a dial indicator on them as of yet) is that they are absolutely beautiful. I look forward to seeing them on the bike.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 10:10 PM   #4

I Ride: 2012 1199 Tricolore, 2007 Porsche GT3RS
Yes, they (the Carlos Checa OZ wheels) are indeed beautiful. Months later, I am still thrilled with how nice they look. The finish on the wheels is of a great quality, and I have not noticed any difference in turn in feel, or "flickability" due to the heavier wheel weight. By the way, it ended up costing me $96 to have the broken stainless steel screw removed (no Quik-sert required). That part really sucked.
Attached Thumbnails
Are OZ Racing Carlos Checa Piega Wheels an upgrade from the Panigale R wheels?-img_1460.jpg  
Thanks from Xbox, Gunny Fitz, mark419ny and 1 others

Last edited by HarmonyJim; Jun 26th 2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 10:18 PM   #5

mag or nothing ... ...
Thanks from Claymore and Thamer
Old Jun 27th 2014, 12:31 AM   #6

I Ride: 2013 Panigale White, 2017 MV Agusta Dragster RC #108
Not very many wheels out there look as good or better than these wheels. Yes, they weigh more than the chicken feet but not enough so to notice a difference. If looks are what you're after without sacrificing much weight, buy them. If shedding a pound or two is your ultimate goal, save the $2500 and spend less than a 1/10th of that and get a lithium battery if you haven't done so or 400-500 on a lighter chain n sprocket kit. These wheels were a must for me soon as I saw them. Original color looked great but obviously didn't flow with my color scheme. You won't be disappointed.
Thanks from Gunny Fitz and mark419ny
Old Jun 27th 2014, 02:07 AM   #7

I Ride: Ducati Panigale S Tricolore
Originally Posted by double0 View Post
Not very many wheels out there look as good or better than these wheels. Yes, they weigh more than the chicken feet but not enough so to notice a difference. If looks are what you're after without sacrificing much weight, buy them. If shedding a pound or two is your ultimate goal, save the $2500 and spend less than a 1/10th of that and get a lithium battery if you haven't done so or 400-500 on a lighter chain n sprocket kit. These wheels were a must for me soon as I saw them. Original color looked great but obviously didn't flow with my color scheme. You won't be disappointed.
Shedding unsprung weight and reduce rotational forces would be a reasonable goal, adding to it just for the sake of looks an individual (quirky) preference. 2 lbs added to the wheels will make nonsense of 2 lbs lost by replacing the battery - not remotely comparable.
Thanks from Thamer
Old Jun 27th 2014, 05:04 AM   #8

I Ride: 2013 Panigale White, 2017 MV Agusta Dragster RC #108
I made the battery reference because of the cost, not because it is the exact same thing as shedding unsprung weight. I'm well aware of the difference. If shedding weight was the ultimate goal, I'd rather lose a few pounds by replacing the battery and chain/sprocket rather than spending close to $3k on wheels, especially on a street bike. No one is going to be able to "feel" the loss of 1 or 2 pounds of unsprung weight. Not big enough of a loss to notice.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 05:08 AM   #9

I Ride: the road
Originally Posted by HarmonyJim View Post
Yes, they (the Carlos Checa OZ wheels) are indeed beautiful. Months later, I am still thrilled with how nice they look. The finish on the wheels is of a great quality, and I have not noticed any difference in turn in feel, or "flickability" due to the heavier wheel weight. By the way, it ended up costing me $96 to have the broken stainless steel screw removed (no Quik-sert required). That part really sucked.
Stock pegs

Old Jun 27th 2014, 08:13 AM   #10

I Ride: 2012 1199 Tricolore, 2007 Porsche GT3RS
My rear set days are long gone. A pelvis broken in two spots put an end to my days with Yamaha aboard TZ250s. Looks over performance I admit still makes me nearly gag, but at sixty years of age I don't bounce nearly as well as I used to.
Thanks from Carl1199

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
carlos, checa, panigale, piega, racing, upgrade, wheels

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.