Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree6Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 9th 2014, 05:31 PM   #1

I Ride: 2014 Ducati Panigale ABS
Stock shock revalve

Anybody tried this on a stock panigale shock? Was curious if it would be a viable option vs buying a TTX Ohlins. Several companies do it. I think even ohlins if im not mistaken.

Cost vs new shock etc.

Old Jul 9th 2014, 05:45 PM   #2

I Ride: '15 1299 Base, '15 R1, '16 Arctic Cat ZR8000RR
Better take that money to the pub, at least you'll get a buzz out of it.

That Sachs unit is utterly worthless and would make a great paperweight.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 06:00 PM   #3

I Ride: 2012 Panigale
I bought a new Ohlins spring for the rear on my base since I'm 240 pounds without gear. I don't have a track here so for the street I think it will be okay. I have to check with my dealer first to see what they will charge for the rear spring replacement and fork spring replacement. As long as they can replace front and rear at a reasonable price and still maintain warranty then I'll be riding around with a new and improved paperweight. They have the springs at Ducati Omaha.

Ducati Accessories | Ducati Apparel | Ducati OEM Parts | Ducati Omaha

I know you're talking about re-valving but just throwing this out there for your consideration since cost is part of your question. About $250 for all three springs plus install cost seems reasonable and its probably a good idea to get new fork oil anyway.

If you're skinny then never mind.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 06:00 PM   #4
Site Sponsor

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
The stock Sachs shock actually works pretty well with the Race-Tech Gold Valve kit in it. With parts and labor you're still quite a bit below the cost of a TTX. I ran a stock 1199 shock with that kit in it for the first half of this track season, and my tire wear was great, which is pretty much the gold standard for how well a shock is working. I was very impressed. After switching to the TTX I honestly haven't noticed much of a difference, but it looks better! ;-)
Thanks from Phl, bradp51, Thamer and 1 others
Old Jul 9th 2014, 06:25 PM   #5

Nice I was looking at the race tech. Seems like a good way to go for not a lot of money.

I just never knew anyone that had it done on a street bike. I just don't need all the fancy electronic stuff. Why I went with the base model. I might do a track day twice a year. I mostly street ride. But I like to do some twisty riding. I would like to set this thing up for my weight though. I have heard negatives about the stock pani base shock.

Is it even possible to put an ohlins from an S model on a base? I hear that shock isn't great either. But curious. probably a lot better then this shock. haha
Old Jul 9th 2014, 06:38 PM   #6

300 bucks for the gold revalve kit with labor.

Nice. 169 if you do the work yourself.
Thanks from Phl
Old Jul 9th 2014, 07:01 PM   #7
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by stanmart View Post
Nice I was looking at the race tech. Seems like a good way to go for not a lot of money.

I just never knew anyone that had it done on a street bike. I just don't need all the fancy electronic stuff. Why I went with the base model. I might do a track day twice a year. I mostly street ride. But I like to do some twisty riding. I would like to set this thing up for my weight though. I have heard negatives about the stock pani base shock.

Is it even possible to put an ohlins from an S model on a base? I hear that shock isn't great either. But curious. probably a lot better then this shock. haha
Yes, the Ohlins from an S-model can be put on a base, but it must be converted over to manual adjusters since you won't have the electronic connections on the base model. It will still have the "street" valving in it as well, so depending on what lever of track rider you are it may be fine or may not be. I don't think it's worth it, if you're going that route just get a new TTX GP and be done with it.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 07:03 PM   #8
Site Sponsor

300 bucks for the gold revalve kit with labor.

Nice. 169 if you do the work yourself.
Unless you have all of the specific suspension tools to rebuild a rear shock, you can't install the gold valve kit yourself. Most people should never try to disassemble a rear shock, it's an advanced maintenance project that is best left to the pros with the right tools.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 07:06 PM   #9

i say bite the bullet and get ohlins, even just for the resell value, call around see if someone's got the TTX2 version, might get it for a steal. Think Hardracing had some in stock for under $1k.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 07:12 PM   #10

Anybody tried this on a stock panigale shock? Was curious if it would be a viable option vs buying a TTX Ohlins. Several companies do it. I think even ohlins if im not mistaken.

Cost vs new shock etc.
Yes, GP Suspension in WA can do it. I'd do the forks as well.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
revalve, shock, stock