Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree4Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 1st 2016, 08:00 AM   #31

I Ride: 2015 1299 Panigale S
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would add my two cents.

I have the 1199 exhaust installed on the 1299 S (installed and fitted without any issue). I did however have issues with the baffle removal. First one didn't want to move, tried the second, it came right out without issue.

I attempted to remove the other again, tried WD-40, tried tapping with a rubber mallet, tried some heat from a torch. Nothing... I grabbed my spring puller and tried using it to pull it out from the inside lip. Nothing again, except for a broken trip on the spring puller, with two springs left to install on the exhaust. Finally I cleaned it up (WD-40) and stuck it in the deep freeze (-5F) and left it in there for about an hour while I finished up the rest of the exhaust install. (it ended up being over an hour...)

For those that don't know, metal contracts with cold, expands with heat. This is the technique used to fit bearings in to wheels, freeze the bearings, and heat the seat in the wheel, then they fit right in. So why wouldn't it work for this... at least my thought process.

I pulled it out of the freezer and tried again, didn't budge, so I applied heat through the hole on the back side with a torch for about 20 seconds (be careful of the carbon fiber), grabbed it with vise grips, and it finally wiggled out with PLENTY of force and about 5 minutes of jacking around with it.

Only downside... the baffle is damaged a bit... won't be going back in because of the vise grips. I wasn't planning on using them again, only time would be at a track with noise restrictions, like NCM in Bowling Green, which is the nearest track to me... So I might end up needed to order another baffle, one is fine, one isn't. LOL

So yes, they can be a pain in the exhaust to remove.
Thanks from Gecko

Old Jun 1st 2016, 08:28 AM   #32

I Ride: Panigale R, 1098R, 996S
I had a similar experience where one side was easy to remove and the other was a pain in the ass.

I found that if you mounted the mufflers on the bike via the 2 attachment points (you don't need to hook the pipes up) it gives you a bit of leverage to yank the db killers out without trying to hold it with your legs or other arm. It still took quite a bit of force to pull it out, but it was easier that way.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 08:37 AM   #33

I Ride: 1299
Had the same issue. Best way it to have it installed on the bike, tighten a set of vice grips on the db killer and tap them from behind in the direction that the db is coming out in. Worked like a charm. But unfortunately I bent the crap out of it before that already. Could of avoided all that if I did it from the beginning with the vice grips.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 09:03 AM   #34

I Ride: '12 1199S
if you go to NCM you should be fine with the baffles out. There were a few Panigales there this past weekend rolling without baffles. But as they say it's better to have it and not need it...
Old Nov 25th 2018, 07:08 PM   #35

Question

Hi Guys
I have a white 1199 with a full AcroTi system. I would like to fit DB Killers as the holes are there for fitting and I use my bike for a 300 mile commute between cities, and its a bit noisy, just a bit ........ Not everyone's cup of tea touring one of these I know, but I just love riding this rocket, and the looks I get as a girl on a Panigale. It's such a sexy bike I might even fit panniers, cause I can weld and it's feasible without damaging anything It has a TB also so I am setting up a Wideband on the CF screen to play tuning games

So..... I would like to buy a pair of DB Killers but I dont know what to order part number wise or even where to look for them I'm in NSW Australia and if any of you guys could help a damsel in distress ......... Please
Old Nov 25th 2018, 07:12 PM   #36
Phl

I Ride: Panigale, CRF450, CRF50, GROM, bionicon supershuttle
I have a pair i can ship you.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 11:24 PM   #37

Hi Phl

That would be excellent.

I'll send you a PM

Old Nov 27th 2018, 05:55 AM   #38

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Hi Guys
I have a white 1199 with a full AcroTi system. I would like to fit DB Killers as the holes are there for fitting and I use my bike for a 300 mile commute between cities, and its a bit noisy, just a bit ........ Not everyone's cup of tea touring one of these I know, but I just love riding this rocket, and the looks I get as a girl on a Panigale. It's such a sexy bike I might even fit panniers, cause I can weld and it's feasible without damaging anything It has a TB also so I am setting up a Wideband on the CF screen to play tuning games

So..... I would like to buy a pair of DB Killers but I dont know what to order part number wise or even where to look for them I'm in NSW Australia and if any of you guys could help a damsel in distress ......... Please
You could buy them as spare parts from Akrapovic. Try WRS in Italy. I have had good service from them.
Old Nov 27th 2018, 09:04 AM   #39
Phl

I Ride: Panigale, CRF450, CRF50, GROM, bionicon supershuttle
Originally Posted by bradp51 View Post
You could buy them as spare parts from Akrapovic. Try WRS in Italy. I have had good service from them.
she has some coming her way

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
akrapovic, killer, remove

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.