Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree3Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 10th 2014, 08:21 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Sergio1199Panigale's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2014
From: San Diego, CA

Posts: 656
Thanks: 153

I Ride: 2014 1199 "Sofia"
OK, slider talk time......Thoughts?

So I'm gonna get some sliders installed when I do my 600mi service in a week or so. Who went with non-drilled ones? I'm leaning towards the ones that don't require drilling. And what about spools and axle sliders, worth it?? Thanks fellow Ducatista
Sergio1199Panigale is offline  
 
Old Sep 10th 2014, 09:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Thamer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: New York

Posts: 1,029
Thanks: 610

I Ride: 1299 Base
I haven't put them on yet, but I would probably go R&G. The Ducati experience school in the UK, runs them on their bikes. I think satos are probably the easier to fit. Can't say one will work better than the other. Ask one of the dealer here about post crash repairs on the bikes that had either/or.

Good luck.
Thamer is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 06:25 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Sergio1199Panigale's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2014
From: San Diego, CA

Posts: 656
Thanks: 153

I Ride: 2014 1199 "Sofia"
Originally Posted by Thamer View Post
I haven't put them on yet, but I would probably go R&G. The Ducati experience school in the UK, runs them on their bikes. I think satos are probably the easier to fit. Can't say one will work better than the other. Ask one of the dealer here about post crash repairs on the bikes that had either/or.

Good luck.
Thanks, I'll post what happens.
Sergio1199Panigale is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 06:50 AM   #4
Site Sponsor
 
jarelj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Omaha, NE USA

Posts: 2,118
Thanks: 2112

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
All of the slider kits that I know of for the Panigale don't require any drilling, since they all mount to the engine cases behind the fairings. I think the R&G's are the most thoughtfully designed in terms of providing crash protection without damaging the engine cases. The Sato's are definitely easier to install, just not quite as outright beefy as the R&G's. Since you're of the mind to not put cheap Chinese junk on your beautiful Ducati I won't mention the other ones!
jarelj is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 06:52 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
hsharpag91's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
From: Dallas, TX

Posts: 301
Thanks: 96

I Ride: 2013 1199 Panigale R, 2013 Yamaha R1 (track only), 2009 KTM 300 XC-W
Jarelj

What are you thoughts on the T-Rex sliders?

They seem very substantially built but I've never seen them in person. I'm trying to outfit my bike with a full track setup and those caught my eye.
hsharpag91 is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 09:21 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Sergio1199Panigale's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2014
From: San Diego, CA

Posts: 656
Thanks: 153

I Ride: 2014 1199 "Sofia"
Originally Posted by jarelj View Post
All of the slider kits that I know of for the Panigale don't require any drilling, since they all mount to the engine cases behind the fairings. I think the R&G's are the most thoughtfully designed in terms of providing crash protection without damaging the engine cases. The Sato's are definitely easier to install, just not quite as outright beefy as the R&G's. Since you're of the mind to not put cheap Chinese junk on your beautiful Ducati I won't mention the other ones!
Haha yup! Thanks as yoozsh Jarel.
Sergio1199Panigale is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2014, 03:17 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Albany NY

Posts: 356
Thanks: 164

I have "experience" with the T-rex sliders, and I can't believe there is a better slider made. The mounting is super wheel thought out to minimize damage where mounted, right down to a loaded piece of rubber in the center of the left one. On a pretty fast lowside, the only damage (fairings included!) was a bent shifter, and I replaced with Woodcraft with folding toe pegs to eliminate that. Yup, they are butt fugly, but substaintial, and they work
mrbrettbaker is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2014, 05:08 AM   #8
Member
 
roadster's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: Seattle, USA

Posts: 83
Thanks: 36

I Ride: 1199R
I have experience (3x) with the Sato Engine Sliders and very highly recommend them as well. They are very well engineered (the bolts bend under stress rather than damage the mounting points in the engine cases.)

I also very strongly recommend the Woodcraft clutch cover. It is very very tough whereas the stock item and DP cover, while elegant, are at best one use items--and since it is a wet clutch the last thing you want should you low side on the right is a holed clutch cover. Mine was paper thin after my first right side low side at the track.

I'm also thinking about getting something more robust on the right.

I've got Speedymoto fork sliders as well and they have proven themselves highly effective.

I'd also consider Rhinomoto bar end sliders--they are very tough.

Steve
roadster is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2014, 06:16 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
stanmart's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
From: Kingsland GA

Posts: 360
Thanks: 84

I Ride: 2014 Ducati Panigale ABS
T-rex for the money are great

You can get the whole kit for like 250 and it comes with axle sliders.

Great quality.
stanmart is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2014, 09:11 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Sergio1199Panigale's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2014
From: San Diego, CA

Posts: 656
Thanks: 153

I Ride: 2014 1199 "Sofia"
Originally Posted by roadster View Post
I have experience (3x) with the Sato Engine Sliders and very highly recommend them as well. They are very well engineered (the bolts bend under stress rather than damage the mounting points in the engine cases.)

I also very strongly recommend the Woodcraft clutch cover. It is very very tough whereas the stock item and DP cover, while elegant, are at best one use items--and since it is a wet clutch the last thing you want should you low side on the right is a holed clutch cover. Mine was paper thin after my first right side low side at the track.

I'm also thinking about getting something more robust on the right.

I've got Speedymoto fork sliders as well and they have proven themselves highly effective.

I'd also consider Rhinomoto bar end sliders--they are very tough.

Steve
Thanks Steve. I'm still on the fence about fork sliders. When I low sided on the track I thought the frame sliders was where the bike was sliding along with the bars turned over to the one side. Not sure the forks were ever scraping. Am I wrong? It was 6 years ago haha.
Sergio1199Panigale is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
slider, talk, timethoughts



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long time follower, first time poster. Sierraca37 New Users 5 Feb 6th 2014 11:25 PM
Lets talk about levers Kevin1199 Ducati 1199 34 Jan 12th 2013 05:20 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed