Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 30th 2012, 03:02 AM   #1

Engine blow up.

Anyone read the new issue of Bike magazine? They do a road test with a base model Panigale as all the tests have been the S model and its blows up....

"Coasting from high speed down to an eventual safe stop, oil is splattered and scattered everywhere. The little that hasn't ended up on the road, or over my boats, or drenching the rear tyre, forms in a pool beneath the bike while the sun sets on this 1637-mile Panigale.

The next day, closer poking reveals chunks of aluminium in the bellypan and what looks like a pound-coin-sized hole in the engine cases where something on the inside has tried to reach the outside. It's returned to Ducati UK after our all too brief first (and last) ride for a post mortem. They describe it as a 'major failure' and have returned the machine to Ducati HQ in Bologna for further analysis."

Old Aug 30th 2012, 04:41 AM   #2

I Ride: Ducati 1199 Tricolore S, 1199 Panigale ABS, Bimota Tesi2D,DB-7,DB1,etc. BMW alpha Racing s1000rr
These things happen, look at how many BMW s1000's engines exploded on a racetrack and the street because of the connecting rod bolt recall issue. So if we only hear of one or even a half dozen that fail its really a very small amount compared to BMW's hundreds of engine failures. I would also think that a magazine test bike would be well "tested" (read abused).
Old Aug 30th 2012, 05:09 AM   #3

I Ride: 1199 Panigale S Tricolore and an 848
LOL, one Ducati blows up and they put it in their magazine? 1000's of BMW's blow up(including 1 infront of my own eyes!!!) they are off the market for 3 months, and hardly a mention!.

There are a few mags out there that will just never be kind to Ducati for some reason. MCN is one of them, I have yet to read an article on there that is even remotely fair to a Ducati bike, decision or rider. In the meantime they are actively promoting Norton bikes while full well knowing they are taking peoples money and not delivering bikes, that bikes are breaking down if ever delivered, people having to go to court to get their money back and they are nearly bankrupt! Don't buy a Ducati people they suck, buy a Norton!!! What a load of ^%^%$&%^(& Nortongate | Hell for Leather

Personally I think it has something to do with ad spending.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 05:22 AM   #4

I'm not sure they are being unfair, it was a bike they had on test and it went bang...

I'm sure its a one off but just thought you should know.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 05:28 AM   #5
Site Sponsor

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
In the recent Roadracing World comparison, the Kawasaki ZX-10R blew up. Seems to be a general correlation there between "Magazine Test" and "Engine Scattered"! We've sold a lot of Panigales this year, many have been out to the track, and we've had no engine problems of any kind with any of them, it's been rock solid so far. Not that it can't happen, but if there was an epidemic problem with engine failures it would have shown up already you'd think??
Old Aug 30th 2012, 06:04 AM   #6

Originally Posted by jarelj View Post
We've sold a lot of Panigales this year, many have been out to the track, and we've had no engine problems of any kind with any of them, it's been rock solid so far. Not that it can't happen, but if there was an epidemic problem with engine failures it would have shown up already you'd think??
Absolutely. Just interesting to follow what happened to this one.

As long as mine holds together it will be fine
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:46 AM   #7

I Ride: 1199 base with ABS
They way they use it up im surprised there was any bloody oil in it to splatter his boots and back tyre!!
Old Aug 30th 2012, 01:04 PM   #8

I Ride: Ducati 1199 Tricolore S, 1199 Panigale ABS, Bimota Tesi2D,DB-7,DB1,etc. BMW alpha Racing s1000rr
My 1199 is holding up superbly under race conditions.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 01:18 PM   #9

Originally Posted by George Villar View Post
These things happen, look at how many BMW s1000's engines exploded on a racetrack and the street because of the connecting rod bolt recall issue. So if we only hear of one or even a half dozen that fail its really a very small amount compared to BMW's hundreds of engine failures. I would also think that a magazine test bike would be well "tested" (read abused).
Any chance you're inflating those BMW numbers just a little? I've heard of a few failures from the conrod issue but far from hundreds. If you have a source for those numbers I would be interested to read about it.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 01:29 PM   #10
Retired

dunno how many blow ups from the conrod issue, about 1500 2012 models affected.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm

The recall entails about 8 hrs of labor.
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
Any chance you're inflating those BMW numbers just a little? I've heard of a few failures from the conrod issue but far from hundreds. If you have a source for those numbers I would be interested to read about it.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
blow, engine

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.