Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree2Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct 14th 2014, 07:19 AM   #1

I Ride: 2014 Panigale S, 2013 Multistrada Touring S, 2006 Harley Davidson Street Rod,
Breaking in engine and initial service

I know the breaking in of the engine has been beaten up on this forum pretty hard but I have a question. I am close to the 631 miles on my new 2014 Panigale S (love it) and would like to do a track day this sunday. Is it ok to let it rip since I am at the break in mileage or should I do the break in service first? I do not plan to ride much for the next couple of track days and it would be nice to postpone the $400 for a bit. Thanks

Old Oct 14th 2014, 07:30 AM   #2

I would do the oils change first.
Don't want the little bits of "break in" metal running around your engine at close to max RPMs.
I did the same thing, ran the bike in on the street for the first 600 than hit the track but not before the oil change. I would even argue that an oil change and filter should be done at 200 to get all the bits out.
Do the oils change your self before the track day as it easy, then bring it in for the first service after your track day to reset ECU.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 07:39 AM   #3

I Ride: the road
First priority should be to get the filthy oil/filter out and get the bike running on some decent clean oil, particularly if you're planning on getting the stick out!!

Also consider that if you turn the dashboard into a flashing frenzy of shift lights, prior to the first service, well, it'll be well and truly noted come warranty time. May not be an issue for you, but a consideration it remains.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 07:43 AM   #4

I Ride: 2014 Panigale S, 2013 Multistrada Touring S, 2006 Harley Davidson Street Rod,
Makes sense. Thanks guys!
Old Oct 14th 2014, 07:52 AM   #5

I Ride: 1199 Panigale/Triumph Speed Triple R
Originally Posted by rawdog View Post
I know the breaking in of the engine has been beaten up on this forum pretty hard but I have a question. I am close to the 631 miles on my new 2014 Panigale S (love it) and would like to do a track day this sunday. Is it ok to let it rip since I am at the break in mileage or should I do the break in service first? I do not plan to ride much for the next couple of track days and it would be nice to postpone the $400 for a bit. Thanks
You need to do some homework. The 631 mile/first service is not the "let it rip" point. Owners manual specifies limiting to 7k rpm for 1553 mi.

Putting off scheduled maintenance jeopardizes warranty and is never a good idea - especially first service.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 08:08 AM   #6

I Ride: the road
Cut paste from manual, with DMH's super conservative advice, should we lessen the life of our babies:

From 1000 to 2500 km
At this point, you can squeeze some more power out of your engine. However never exceed 7,000 rpm.

Important
During the whole running-in period, the maintenance and service rules recommended in the Warranty Card should be observed carefully. Failure to follow these instructions releases Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A. from any liability whatsoever for any engine damage or shorter engine life.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 08:17 AM   #7

I read this in the manual but I seem to be getting mixed advice from other owners. It pays to be safe and one track day is not worth damaging my engine. I appreciate the advice guys. Love the bike and want to take care of it.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 08:22 AM   #8

I Ride: 13, white 1199 S, 10 Husaberg 450FE
I read this in the manual but I seem to be getting mixed advice from other owners. .
Most of us beat on them out of the gate, and magically our engines use/burn less oil.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 08:35 AM   #9

I read this in the manual but I seem to be getting mixed advice from other owners. It pays to be safe and one track day is not worth damaging my engine. I appreciate the advice guys. Love the bike and want to take care of it.
To be honest with you, I would call in on the dealer and speak to the techs that will be working on your bike should there be any future warranty issues... they will ultimately be the ones submitting the claim and providing either the support or lack thereof to Ducati.

The techs at my dealer advised me to ride it hard and fast during the break in period and treat it as I would expect to be riding it in the future. Your advice may vary, but listen to and adhere to what they say.

As was indicated already, just don't skip or skimp on the service intervals.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 08:45 AM   #10

I Ride: 2015 1199R
read the owners manual...its clear enough - whats in there makes the most sense

.....but you'll see a zillion variations here on "how to do it" for sure...

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
breaking, engine, initial, service