Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree1Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 04:40 PM   #1
Banned

Trailering your Panigale: which points on your bike did you

Secure the tie-downs to?

Bought a nice little enclosed trailer for the track events. Would like to gain valuable techniques from those who are experienced.

For example; how much should one compress the front shocks, etc.?

Thanks.

(I had a front wheel chock installed as well as four tie-down rings).

Old Sep 2nd 2012, 05:21 PM   #2

I Ride: 2012 1199 Panigale Tri
Originally Posted by RSR racer View Post
Secure the tie-downs to?

Bought a nice little enclosed trailer for the track events. Would like to gain valuable techniques from those who are experienced.

For example; how much should one compress the front shocks, etc.?

Thanks.

(I had a front wheel chock installed as well as four tie-down rings).
I use these

Canyon Dancer Inc.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 05:21 PM   #3

I Ride: 1098 and M696
Get a Canyon Dancer strap, Baxley Sportchock, or PitBull Trailer restraint (in order of effectiveness).
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 05:31 PM   #4

As above Canyon Dancer is the way to go. Make sure you get the new model with hard plastic end covers as I find they actually protect the grips better than the old style. If really worried about scratching bar ends wrap some cloth around first.
I don't use a wheel chock in my pick-up and compress front forks approx 50% but try and only leave like this for minimum time.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Retired

Pitbull trailer restraint system, hands down the best way to tie down a bike in all my years of riding. Then just a loose tie around the front wheel to keep it from flopping back and forth.

Pit Bull : Trailer Restraints

If you must tie down the front, only compress the forks HALF or less.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 06:41 PM   #6

Canyon Dancer II with Baxley Sport Chock or Condor Chock.

Eric
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 06:54 PM   #7

I Ride: GSX-R750R LTD, 888, 916, 999R, 1199S Tri, RC51, RS250, Z1000SX, ZX7R M2, ZX7RR N1, WR426F
I was using a regular chock with a Canyon Dancer, but read that the fly by wire throttle can be damaged by using tie downs over the grips. The throttle is a pretty pricey piece, so I went to a Condor chock.

Any roll in lock chock (Baxley, Condor, etc) or rear axle chock (Pit Bull) enables a bike to be transported without strapping or with very lightly strapping the front down. If you have the passenger pegs on, make sure you have a good place for tie downs from the passenger pegs to tie to the trailer forward of the pegs. Tying the rear down to prevent it from bouncing sideways is critical. If your tie downs pull forward from the rear it helps compress the front end and ensure that the front end can't come out of a chock, which means you don't have to tie the front end down as hard.

I've got E-track all over my trailer deck and all my chocks mount with e-track clips so I can move chocks and tie down points wherever they will work the best. Enables me to pretty much haul and tie down anything and everything. The best source for E track I've found is motorcycle wheel chock, Bike Pro, Condor, ramps, aluminum ramps, tie downs, wheelchair ramps, wheelchair access, handicap access, handicap ramp, motorcycle transport, motorcycle loading, d-ring, platform lift, elevator, motorcycle locks, trailer lock
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 07:01 PM   #8

Originally Posted by zvez View Post
Pitbull trailer restraint system, hands down the best way to tie down a bike in all my years of riding. Then just a loose tie around the front wheel to keep it from flopping back and forth.

Pit Bull : Trailer Restraints

If you must tie down the front, only compress the forks HALF or less.
+1 on put bull. Have used all the others and this system is by far the best IMO.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 08:09 PM   #9

Pitbull trailer restraints all the way if you have an enclosed trailer to work with. No compression of any of the suspension. Beats any other tiedown system - especially with the Panigale which doesn't have a decent frame to attach to. ..

If you feel you need a bit more security, you can put a baxley front chock on it as well.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 09:21 PM   #10
Banned

Originally Posted by zvez View Post
The above website does not give the 1199 as an option on the drop down menu. What model would be the most equivalent substitute? 1198?

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
bike, panigale, points, trailering