Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree10Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 01:00 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Thamer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: New York

Posts: 1,029
Thanks: 608

I Ride: 1299 Base
What's the process for ditching the DES?

What must be done to remove the electronic suspension? Is it just simply swapping out different forks and shock, or will I get a shit load of error codes?

Thanks.
Thamer is offline  
 
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 02:43 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2014
From: United Kingdom

Posts: 365
Thanks: 113

I Ride: 749 , 06 red frame, Scrambler Icon in red, 1199 Panigale abs, 1299SL
Originally Posted by Thamer View Post
What must be done to remove the electronic suspension? Is it just simply swapping out different forks and shock, or will I get a shit load of error codes?

Thanks.
I work construction and agricultural machines not bikes but its same principles., if you just disconnect a sensor it will send error signal for sure on our kit, the hardware (ecu) should be the same as the base, the Ducati dealer should be able to up load a base set of parameters to your ecu, give them a call to see if they want to do it!

easy test is to yank off your connectors and see what happens.
Thanks from Thamer
farmind is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 03:37 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2013
From: Chicago, IL

Posts: 1,107
Thanks: 238

With the 2015R having the same electronics as the 1299S less the DES, it's hard to imagine that the conversion without any CEL codes will be difficult.

Probably a reflash here, a few pigtails here and there, etc.

With that being said, the manual clickers for the rear suspension list for $350 on some website. Be ready to shell out a few Benjamins.
BadBoyBeltran is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 03:41 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Thamer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: New York

Posts: 1,029
Thanks: 608

I Ride: 1299 Base
Originally Posted by BadBoyBeltran View Post
With the 2015R having the same electronics as the 1299S less the DES, it's hard to imagine that the conversion without any CEL codes will be difficult.

Probably a reflash here, a few pigtails here and there, etc.

With that being said, the manual clickers for the rear suspension list for $350 on some website. Be ready to shell out a few Benjamins.
Man I was going to completely chuck the Ohlins formthe MUPO suspension. Got to see that stuff up close...it's awesome!!

Support from their website seems good too.
Thamer is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 04:07 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2014
From: United Kingdom

Posts: 365
Thanks: 113

I Ride: 749 , 06 red frame, Scrambler Icon in red, 1199 Panigale abs, 1299SL
Originally Posted by Thamer View Post
Man I was going to completely chuck the Ohlins formthe MUPO suspension. Got to see that stuff up close...it's awesome!!

Support from their website seems good too.
Why do you a want to dump the Ohlins? not to hijack your thread here.
I am thinking what to do, put the internals (pretty cheap) or change to FGRT (not so), on my base, basically its down to the look in the end between the two!
farmind is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 04:25 AM   #6
Banned
 
White13Pani's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: New Jersey Shore

Posts: 1,708
Thanks: 496

DES light and Check Engine light come on as soon as you disconnect any of the DES connectors. it can be annoying to see all those lights on the dash so I asked my dealership (useless) and they said theres nothing that can be done about it. I figure they were just lying and shunning me away, so I always meant to contact Ducati North America but never got around to it. I'd say give them a call and have the regional rep contact you or your dealership about the ability (or inability) to get rid of DES codes.

Best of luck!!
Thanks from Phl and Thamer
White13Pani is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 04:32 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Thamer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: New York

Posts: 1,029
Thanks: 608

I Ride: 1299 Base
Originally Posted by farmind View Post
Why do you a want to dump the Ohlins? not to hijack your thread here.
I am thinking what to do, put the internals (pretty cheap) or change to FGRT (not so), on my base, basically its down to the look in the end between the two!
I had my buddy's DES/ rear shock motor break on him and he sat for a season not being able to just his rear shock....an extreme case, but i just like the thought of having less to worry about..
Thanks from farmind
Thamer is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 06:35 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2014
From: United Kingdom

Posts: 365
Thanks: 113

I Ride: 749 , 06 red frame, Scrambler Icon in red, 1199 Panigale abs, 1299SL
Originally Posted by Thamer View Post
I had my buddy's DES/ rear shock motor break on him and he sat for a season not being able to just his rear shock....an extreme case, but i just like the thought of having less to worry about..
If its reliability your after i reckon there are other bikes that would be a safer bet, just to have a rant, Ducati service for me over three dealers and three different countries and Ducati itself has been pure shit in the end I fix the stuff myself rather than them creating more problems, I did have a good productive chat with Motorapido in the UK last week so all are not the same, I can say my BMW car when it has suffered BMW were great, its just their S1000rr is so ugly that I couldn't stand it in my garage next to my 749!
farmind is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 07:20 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Thamer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: New York

Posts: 1,029
Thanks: 608

I Ride: 1299 Base
Originally Posted by farmind View Post
If its reliability your after i reckon there are other bikes that would be a safer bet, just to have a rant, Ducati service for me over three dealers and three different countries and Ducati itself has been pure shit in the end I fix the stuff myself rather than them creating more problems, I did have a good productive chat with Motorapido in the UK last week so all are not the same, I can say my BMW car when it has suffered BMW were great, its just their S1000rr is so ugly that I couldn't stand it in my garage next to my 749!
For me it's not Ducati. I actually think I'm one of the lucky owners I've had a couple including my '13R, and other than fouled plugs has been trouble free. I'm thinking about buying another, a hypermotard
My problem is where I am, they are more showrooms then dealers here and though the current showroom is trying to be a dealer and provide service I feel the effort is a bit misguided.

I never had a problem in NY my dealer there rocks! And they still help me out when they can, (8,000 miles makes it tough).

So to thwart future potential problems I am trying to simplify things.

I'm trying to be over the moon about the new R1, but my Pani just moves me.

And +1 on the s1000rr. Last trackday my Pani stood next to an HP4 competition, and even the owner said it looks like shit next to a Panigale, even if it beats it hands down on the track.
Thamer is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 07:54 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2014
From: United Kingdom

Posts: 365
Thanks: 113

I Ride: 749 , 06 red frame, Scrambler Icon in red, 1199 Panigale abs, 1299SL
Originally Posted by Thamer View Post
For me it's not Ducati. I actually think I'm one of the lucky owners I've had a couple including my '13R, and other than fouled plugs has been trouble free. I'm thinking about buying another, a hypermotard
My problem is where I am, they are more showrooms then dealers here and though the current showroom is trying to be a dealer and provide service I feel the effort is a bit misguided.

I never had a problem in NY my dealer there rocks! And they still help me out when they can, (8,000 miles makes it tough).

So to thwart future potential problems I am trying to simplify things.

I'm trying to be over the moon about the new R1, but my Pani just moves me.

And +1 on the s1000rr. Last trackday my Pani stood next to an HP4 competition, and even the owner said it looks like shit next to a Panigale, even if it beats it hands down on the track.
I had Yams back in the 90s, I love em, that new R1 is something else, its real unlike the over hyped and over fast but over ugly H2r, and pointless H2.
Bear in mind what I have found over the years as a mechanic, the electrical stuff is ultra reliable, it gets easily blamed and mistake for conventional faults, most problems we have is with wiring or connectors, in 30 years I have been fixing stuff with ECUs on I count on one hand how many "really" ECUs went wrong, I also found that diagnostic kit isn't accurate, it can point you in the right direction, whats been happening is there are few apprenticed mechanics learning from old guys like me because we found better ways to earn a living, hence we have the situation now of factory trained inexperienced mechanics are relying on diagnostics kit, then they change components till the hit it, problem is most customers don't know this and when you get the bill for a ECU, or sensor how were you to know it was a connector fault in the end. You have a greater chance to suffer mechanical failure than electrical and the mechanic failures are less because the electrical systems protect the it.
I am taking from the construction and ag machines bit its pretty much the same, I can tell once I have taken a part out of the bag and fitted it, it stays on!
farmind is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
des, ditching, process



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed