Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By AntiHero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 12th 2014, 07:10 PM   #1

I Ride: 14' 1199 R
1199 R GB Case Cover and clutch carbon cover

I am going to install my GB Racing Case covers tomorrow. On my 1199 R of course it has a DP carbon cover. I have a few questions:

1) Has everyone been removing DP Carbon covers and then installing the GB Case Covers? I know it sounds stupid but I want to make sure, logic would say it would be removed.

2) If it is removed, what bolts do you you use? It would appear according to the ducati 1199R parts manual that the DP Carbon Case Cover goes on with a different bolts + 2 washers per hole compared to the clutch case cover bolts that do not have a cover.

3) Do I remove the DP Carbon Case Cover, ditch the 2 washers per hole and reuse the stock bolts? The part numbers are different for the bolts that hold the DP cover.

I want to be 100% sure because while the DP cover isn't thick I don't want to put a crack of hole in the case cover when I am putting the stock hardware back on incorrectly with to long of a bolt potentially, and I also don't want a leak :-D

Old Dec 12th 2014, 07:16 PM   #2

OR am I totally crazy and does the GB Clutch Case Cover replace the existing mount bolts the DP carbon cover uses?
Old Dec 12th 2014, 07:48 PM   #3
Phl

I Ride: Panigale, CRF450, CRF50, GROM, bionicon supershuttle
Can't answer 100% but I think the gb came with bolts, if not, I must have used the ones on the bike
Old Dec 12th 2014, 08:36 PM   #4

Use the bolts (and any washers) that secure the DP cover on. Ditch the DP covers, of course.

As with any bolt on shit....make sure that the bolt can bite whatever it is you're bolting it to. That means a good 4-5 threads get 'buried' into whatever hole you're screwing the bolt into. The more you have to turn the bolt before it stops the better. Of course, if the bolt gets tight before the head seals up against (in this case) the GB cover, the bolt is too long. You shouldn't run into that with this install, though.

Washers distribute the load from the head onto the surface. Whenver you're mating composite materials the more surface area the better (washers are good).
Thanks from DoubleD
Old Dec 12th 2014, 11:25 PM   #5

The GB covers come with their own screws and torque specs. i did not have the DP cover, but I'm pretty sure you will have to remove them.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 02:24 PM   #6

Okay, finished this install, besides the oil leak from the clutch cover after it was an easy job, did an oil change while I was at it. Had to remove the clutch cover and clean it up/inspect the o-ring and seal her back up the right way by tightening them in a criss cross pattern.

Anyway, back to the clutch side and the DP carbon cover. The GB Racing cover comes with bolts of course, but the left most DP Carbon cover bolt is not used on the GB Racing cover.

In short I used the GB Racing bolts where they should be used (without the stock washers)..on the left most DP Carbon Cover bolt (which isn't used by the GB) I reused the stock bolt and remove the (2) washers which the DP Carbon Cover uses. The bolt hole depth is 34mm and the thread length of the stock bolt is 30mm so it was safe to reuse the stock bolt and ditch the washer.

Hope that helps anyone who runs into this.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
1199, carbon, case, clutch, cover