Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree50Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 12th 2015, 05:39 AM   #91

I Ride: 2012 1199
Things are looking decent for this weekend that I can at least get out a bit and try a few of these things. Salt and crap still on the roads, so keeping the pace slow to test a few things out is not a problem.

Old Mar 15th 2015, 06:23 AM   #92

I Ride: 16R race bike, 13R and 1299s ..Speciale on order. American Iron Horse Custom Chopper
Brett, I ride advanced and am an ex racer, and I know my BP is not perfect. I'll get crossed up when pushing the limits and make stupid mistakes cause everythings happening so fast. So you're info is a great read..and kind of reminds me to slow down and almost relearn. So thanks for that!

Anyway, I had a question about clip on adjustment. When braking hard I get an annoying amount of pressure on the outside of my palms. Basically because the way the bars are positioned. In a perfect world I feel like I would like the bars pointing straight out and brought back some(to push me off the tank).. but then tapered back in once i'm in tuck and cornering.

Should I be looking for some happy medium on bar adjustment?
Old Mar 15th 2015, 07:06 AM   #93

I know your question is directed to Mrbrett, but I'll throw this in then shut up. I had good luck on a different bike using speedymoto's omni bars to dial in bar position. You might take a look.

B
Thanks from slow jamz
Old Mar 15th 2015, 07:49 AM   #94

Bar setting can be tough. First , even at expert level, do the drill I recommended involving lifting yourself with your feet and make sure you don't fall forward. If you pegs are too far back, you'll carry a lot of weight on your hands. I like my bars set so that if I have my outside arm parallel to the ground and on the side of the tank, when I hang off my upper arm is 90 to my forearm, but still comfy on the bar, so I can hold on loose. There is always trade offs. It's VERY hard to change bar positions, it feels wired. Best to do first thing on a track day and try to see if it helps, not if you like it. It takes time to like it.
I'll post more tonight
Thanks from slow jamz
Old Mar 15th 2015, 07:53 AM   #95

I Ride: 16R race bike, 13R and 1299s ..Speciale on order. American Iron Horse Custom Chopper
You guys ever have courses around the michigan area, Brett?
Thanks from docdennis
Old Mar 15th 2015, 08:08 AM   #96

Unfortunately no, pocono and NYST are the closest. We used to do Pittsburg but not this year.
Thanks from slow jamz
Old Mar 27th 2015, 04:37 AM   #97

Been crazy busy but will try to continue the convo on BP soon, will address tip in and mid corner corrections next. Meanwhile, here is a blog by a guy I worked with last weekend at NCBike. It's an amazing coaching track and spent a good deal of time refining my own techniques.

Superbikes and SQL Server: Back on the Track: Surround Yourself With Expertise
Thanks from b9009b
Old Mar 27th 2015, 05:04 AM   #98

I Ride: 84' Short Bus, 14' 1199RM, 16' R1
Originally Posted by mrbrettbaker View Post
Been crazy busy but will try to continue the convo on BP soon, will address tip in and mid corner corrections next. Meanwhile, here is a blog by a guy I worked with last weekend at NCBike. It's an amazing coaching track and spent a good deal of time refining my own techniques.

Superbikes and SQL Server: Back on the Track: Surround Yourself With Expertise
Thanks for sharing that Brett. I hope to run into you at one of the Team Promo tracks day at Jersey this year. You will have a field day with my BP lol
Old Mar 27th 2015, 05:06 AM   #99

Lol! I'm there April 18/19/20 if you have the itch
Thanks from b9009b
Old Mar 29th 2015, 05:15 AM   #100

Time to talk about tip in. If there is place that you have to be aggressive an harsh, this is it. Forget "smooth" for a bit. Watch the really fast guys and you'll see the bike turn/tip very deliberately and quickly. If you get used to turning in smoothly when you are at a novice pace you will find yourself running wide or missing your apex before you get fast. Most track days have turn in marker cones. Challenge yourself to be AT that cone before turning, then SLAM those bars! Even if while riding at novice pace, make the turning portion as quickly as possible in the shortest distance. The sooner you get the bike over and get off the handlebars, the sooner you can be back on the throttle. Add to that the fact that waiting until the marker to turn in allows you to drive in faster and deeper than if you had steered a long soft arch.
The term "bang the bars" is exactly that. In a moment, push and/or pull those bars in a countersteer move very abruptly. Practice this everywhere on everything you ride. 30 mph in a parking lot will work. You need to get used to the harshness of the move. It really is what separates the REAL fast guys from the also rans. For a racer, a racetrack is nothing but a serious drag strips with corners in the way. If you can minimize the distance and time you are turning, then you are pinning the throttle on the drag strips more while opponents are still turning.
Thanks from b9009b, wanderlust and The Avidmoto

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
grips, stomp