Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree50Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 4th 2015, 11:12 AM   #61

Originally Posted by mrbrettbaker View Post
I say heel guard just to explain direction, I have worn the paint off my swing arm too. I think I can help you, stay tuned, I want to do a little each day so it can be "digested". You have pretty good BP, but your inside shoulder is rolling forward,which restricts vision. I will post up a sure fire way to correct this in a few days
I mentioned njmp in April, I'll be in NC at NCBike the 21/22nd of this month if anyone wants to put in some work
Thanks man!

I used to do a lot of days at Thunderbolt and Lightning with Team Promotion, I wonder if I ever saw you?

Old Mar 4th 2015, 11:23 AM   #62

I Ride: '97 YZF1000 Superbike, '14 1199R
Differences

Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
Kaido, you might consider flogging your Rizoma's and trying some Sato's; they can go 15-25mm forward of OEM and 5-35mm up from same. Just about all the other aftermarket ones seem to only offer positions that are back and up of the stockers.

SATO RACING | Rear Sets - DUCATI 899 / 1199 Panigale

But definitely keep working on the BP; stay on the path you're on and you'll end up like this dude. F***ed for sure...
Steve,

There is an important distinction to be recognized by the two primary riding styles. As Mrbretbakker suggests (and most every instructor I've ever met) teaches the squared of shoulder. Riders like Marquez, Noriuki Haga, Ben Spies, Colin Edwards to name just a few. The opposing style, and in my opinion one that way to many people try and emulate is the Doohan/Bayliss rotate. Mrbretbakker is correct in every respect that this rotate style complicates every other aspect of riding. The only favorable property of the rotate style is that you are already against the tank.

I for one have had enough groin smash to learn that BP is THE first step. Just my 2c.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 12:05 PM   #63

Dynasty, maybe? I'm 54 yrs old shaved head (well, some of it didn't need shaving) and ride an 03 flat black and white r6 and my Pani. Been coaching with them 3.5 years and was a customer of theirs a year before that. Do a bunch of njmp, pocono and NYST days, and a few summit, VIR and NCBike days. Here is my R6
Attached Thumbnails
Stomp Grips-image.jpg  
Old Mar 4th 2015, 12:12 PM   #64

I Ride: Anything with 2 wheels!
My goal is to emulate my bp to your pic!
Old Mar 4th 2015, 12:28 PM   #65

Originally Posted by The Avidmoto View Post
My goal is to emulate my bp to your pic!
We can do better than that! First, both of those pics are of me coaching and due to a slower pace. My BP is a bit lazy. Second, I think I've bought boatsfoe a few ortho surgeons. More importantly, I'm just a mediocre rider with decent BP, but in my own learning struggle,have figured out how to teach methods and drills to get us to do what we already know what we need to do.
Thanks from The Avidmoto
Old Mar 4th 2015, 01:00 PM   #66

Ok, lesson two. I told you to get off the tank, but how? We drill into you all the time to be "light on the bars". I regularly demonstrate no hands cornering. Besides the abrupt bar input at turn in (hence."banging the bars") the only other time it is except able to load the bars is under braking. Not only acceptable, it's needed. We can use this time to get our asses where they need to be. Here you go. Front straight, hit your brake marker, sit up and in one motion, squeeze the brake and push straight back with both arms while getting the cheek off the seat on the side of the turn. DO NOT hang off the bike yet. First, while braking hard, having your weight up the center gives straighter braking. You want to stay up to strong arm during braking, and have the leverage (tall on bike) to help tip the bike in. Have your foot on the end of the peg, and ready to pivot. Now at your turn in marker, bang the bars, and at the same time spin that foot and knee out and swing your torso perpendicular to the inside of the turn. We will cover how to get your head down, chest on the tank and eyes down the track next. After that, corrections in the corner, then exit.
Again, I'm just a decent rider with OK BP, but I've found what works to actually get it all to work. Most important thing is riding at 60 or 70% while you practice this
Old Mar 4th 2015, 01:08 PM   #67

I Ride: 2014 1199S (Matte blizzack), 2013 R1200 GS
Originally Posted by mrbrettbaker View Post
B, you may have the ergo issue on the Pani we've been discussing. Seat, stompgrip. Proper peg placement and in my case, adjustable clip ons so I could get behind the bars instead of over. I was running wide on the real fast turns because I didn't have the leverage to "bang the bars" as hard as a fast turn requires
What change did you make to your bars specifically?
Old Mar 4th 2015, 01:27 PM   #68

I Ride: '12 1199, '13 KTM990SMT
Originally Posted by gobozo View Post
Steve,

There is an important distinction to be recognized by the two primary riding styles. As Mrbretbakker suggests (and most every instructor I've ever met) teaches the squared of shoulder. Riders like Marquez, Noriuki Haga, Ben Spies, Colin Edwards to name just a few. The opposing style, and in my opinion one that way to many people try and emulate is the Doohan/Bayliss rotate. Mrbretbakker is correct in every respect that this rotate style complicates every other aspect of riding. The only favorable property of the rotate style is that you are already against the tank.

I for one have had enough groin smash to learn that BP is THE first step. Just my 2c.
Was a joke; everyone knows TB has always ridden crossed-up! Even he noted his position at PI recently as being out of sorts with current practice. Heck, he looks like Larry Pegram does with his jacked-up hip. And as Brett noted, Doohan was the king of crossed-up. Schwantz wasn't bad at it either...

Heck, they should've just copied Paul Smart!

If you want great BP, just tattoo a shot of Lorenzo on the back of your eyelids and dream of riding like that; voila - you'll wake up an expert! (another joke, btw, but the dude does look mahvelous on a bike)
Old Mar 4th 2015, 01:30 PM   #69

I wanted them forward more. It requires much more force to turn a bike doing 100mph than 50mph. I wanted to be behind the bars more, requiring getting them forward. Oem is not adjustable, so I bought woodcraft. Best thing about their clipons is they are 3 piece and you can swap out a broke clamp at the track without pulling the upper triple. Bad thing is if you move them like I did, it is a nightmare to limit the reservoirs and other parts from rubbing fairing or windshield while turning in the paddock. I say limit because I haven't been able to eliminate contact. Race bike, no biggy. Also, you have to buy the addition mount for the damper as the oem mounts to the clipon.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 06:13 PM   #70

I Ride: A snotty, noisy, ill tempered bag of arseholes 1199...but god I love it!
Norik Abe used to have a pretty crazy upper body positioning too.....

Brett under hard braking ie... end of the straight.... We should be totally gripping the tank between our knees though right ?? To take pressure off the bars\arms?

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
grips, stomp