Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree19Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 4th 2015, 11:41 AM   #11

I Ride: Ducati 2010 SFS, Ducati 2012 1199 S
Originally Posted by Charliem90 View Post
Tip (in addition to what Cloner sez).

Since you have the front end up and have taken one fork off....take the other fork off and do the seals on both. Won't take much more time and insures the seals are good (and the fork oil checked/freshened) on both.

I used to do the seals (when they needed it) on my off-road Husky (usd Showa) and learned it's a good idea to go ahead and do both. If one seal has gone bad, you can bet there's a good chance the other is getting dicey...
Like any reputable bike shop, I always change the seals in the OHLINS when they are serviced.

One doesn't know when the seals will fail as they are prone to at any time on the OHLINS.
Thanks from Cloner

Old Mar 4th 2015, 11:54 AM   #12

I Ride: 1199 SL, 1199S Tri, 1299S Anni, MV Agusta F4 750, M1200S, M696, Husaberg FS650e, Petronas FP1
I put ShockSox on all my bikes, works great, looks good and makes the seals hold longer.

Berm Motorsports | Shock Sox | Ten Second Removable Fork Seal Protector ? berm-shock-sox
Thanks from AntiHero, Scorpio66, JonT and 1 others
Old Mar 4th 2015, 01:44 PM   #13

I got 20K+ miles on my bike before a fork seal went (which included a lot of trails, dust, ice, rocks, rain, etc.). Other one was still fine at 30K miles. About average from my experience with other bikes. ShockSox is a great idea, though, and a lot less expensive then the $225 to replace.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 02:37 PM   #14

I Ride: Panigale S-ABS
Fork seal

Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
I got 20K+ miles on my bike before a fork seal went (which included a lot of trails, dust, ice, rocks, rain, etc.). Other one was still fine at 30K miles. About average from my experience with other bikes. ShockSox is a great idea, though, and a lot less expensive then the $225 to replace.

By any chance do you have the seal part #? Where did you get them from?

Thanks
Old Mar 4th 2015, 02:39 PM   #15

[QUOTE=Marmoot;195273]Yep. Just replaced the left one last week, and going to replace the right one this week.
The right one was only residual. But the left one was up to the point where the oil would seep out and drip onto the floor overnight before I had the chance to replace it.

While replacing it, I couldn't believe how black the oil was too. I guess all those track abuse really took the life out of the fluid. After replaced, the response was a lot better, one can notice how much better the fork damping actually is now (but you can't notice how bad it was before).

Mine is 2012 1199s too.[/

Thanks
Old Mar 5th 2015, 12:33 AM   #16

I Ride: 1199 Panigale/Triumph Speed Triple R
Originally Posted by Scorpio66 View Post

Thanks
Parts fiche shows them as PN 349.2.131.1A "Seal Kit" and lists qty as 2 (1 for each fork I would assume).
Parts look-up reference DesmoDuck Part Fiche

(valuable online parts reference, btw).

You can probably get it from Ducati Omaha throught their on-line ordering system.
Thanks from Scorpio66
Old Mar 5th 2015, 07:25 AM   #17

I Ride: '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale, '04 KTM 450 EXC, '67 Aermacchi/HD 250/CRTT, '64 Ducati 250, '08 Ninja 250
Call Dan at Kyle Racing and he has them on the shelf in a kit with dust seals for less than Ducati charge for just fork seals. He also keeps Ohlins oil, so get a litre of that, too. Dan is the largest Ohlins distributor in the States (world?), so he's always a good resource for Ohlins bits and tools. He'll probably already know it for Panigale, but it's best if you have the number stamped on the inside of the lower fork boss available for reference (FGXXX).

Like Charlie said, always replace fork seals in pairs (it takes almost no additional real time since one leg is already off) and always use Ohlins oil...though it's close to 5 wt if you're in a real pinch. And like Brad said, if you're in there for any reason always reassemble with new seals, regardless of brand of fork.

I don't know what the deal is, but Ohlins forks seem to lose seals more quickly than other brands. Maybe they use a larger clearance to reduce stiction? That said, they're also easier to service than Showa or Kayaba, so it call comes out in the wash!
Thanks from Scorpio66
Old Mar 5th 2015, 08:44 AM   #18

Originally Posted by Cloner View Post
Call Dan at Kyle Racing and he has them on the shelf in a kit with dust seals for less than Ducati charge for just fork seals. He also keeps Ohlins oil, so get a litre of that, too. Dan is the largest Ohlins distributor in the States (world?), so he's always a good resource for Ohlins bits and tools. He'll probably already know it for Panigale, but it's best if you have the number stamped on the inside of the lower fork boss available for reference (FGXXX).

Like Charlie said, always replace fork seals in pairs (it takes almost no additional real time since one leg is already off) and always use Ohlins oil...though it's close to 5 wt if you're in a real pinch. And like Brad said, if you're in there for any reason always reassemble with new seals, regardless of brand of fork.

I don't know what the deal is, but Ohlins forks seem to lose seals more quickly than other brands. Maybe they use a larger clearance to reduce stiction? That said, they're also easier to service than Showa or Kayaba, so it call comes out in the wash!
Thanks Cloner, they have the seals in stock and cost half the genuine Ducati seal, $60 vs $123! I will get them in order and have somebody to replace for me.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 09:26 AM   #19

I Ride: 1199
Just left Cycle Pro and pulled my bike out of the trailer to get some things done for next weeks race. We were looking at tire wear and noticed the forks were leaking. Not bad, but leaking. Good thing Yaman had a fork seal kit lying around.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 07:45 PM   #20

Does anybody know how to take the forks off? I can get easily to the point where I remove the wheel, the fender but I've never remove a panigale fork.

Thanks

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
fork, seal

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.