Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 13th 2012, 11:09 PM   #1

I Ride: 1199 Pani-awesome
Report on 14t change on front sprocket:

Normally on my Ducs I ritualistically up the rear sprocket, but the guys at the shop convinced me to try this instead. It's not as drastic a change as the rear has been on my 996, 848, or any of my monsters, but its a nice improvement:

1. Surprisingly cheap mod, even if the dealer does it. (Mine did it for a little over $100.)

2. WAY better every day rideability overall.

3. MAJOR difference on city streets, even though the pani is not a city kinda bike, 50% of my commute is in the city.
- turns at intersections are practically a diff bike, so much better, no clutch-coasting anymore. Especially good when launching right or left from a light.
- 25-35mph is out of that crap fueling range b/t 3k and 4k rpms

4. Highway riding at 70 is now just outside the crap fueling range in 6th gear... a world of difference. I don't have to ride 80 to stay out of that range, especially great when riding though CHiPy Valley (Mill Valley, CA) on fund-raising days.

5. Launching requires a lot less time letting the clutch out, launches are much less effort and let gassing required.

6. Power FEELS like it's available sooner. This might be psychological, but it really feels like the whole power band is much more on-tap.

Recommendation: If you don't race your pani, I recommend this mod.

Part: $42 USD
Labor: 30 mins

Old Sep 13th 2012, 11:44 PM   #2

I Ride: Panigale S
Good report.
I'm down with this..

I think it's in my future.
What brand sprocket did you use? and also.. any reason you did the front as opposed to the rear?
I figure less stress on the gearbox by upping the rear sprocket slightly instead.

Thanks.
j.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 01:47 AM   #3
alb

I Ride: '12 1199 ABS
Does this have any effect on the speed reported? Do you have to get it adjusted?
Old Sep 14th 2012, 04:48 AM   #4

humm...i'm under the impression that the vehicle speed is eventually derive from the front or rear wheel speed sensor, since knowing the circumference of the tyres,No?
Old Sep 14th 2012, 05:34 AM   #5

I Ride: 2012 1199 Panigale Tri
Originally Posted by unrazzo View Post
Normally on my Ducs I ritualistically up the rear sprocket, but the guys at the shop convinced me to try this instead. It's not as drastic a change as the rear has been on my 996, 848, or any of my monsters, but its a nice improvement:

1. Surprisingly cheap mod, even if the dealer does it. (Mine did it for a little over $100.)

3. MAJOR difference on city streets, even though the pani is not a city kinda bike, 50% of my commute is in the city.
- turns at intersections are practically a diff bike, so much better, no clutch-coasting anymore. Especially good when launching right or left from a light.

4. Highway riding at 70 is now just outside the crap fueling range in 6th gear... a world of difference. I don't have to ride 80 to stay out of that range, especially great when riding though CHiPy Valley (Mill Valley, CA) on fund-raising days.

5. Launching requires a lot less time letting the clutch out, launches are much less effort and let gassing required.

6. Power FEELS like it's available sooner. This might be psychological, but it really feels like the whole power band is much more on-tap.

How does it feel on the track?
Old Sep 14th 2012, 05:39 AM   #6
alb

I Ride: '12 1199 ABS
Originally Posted by Titaniumvalves View Post
humm...i'm under the impression that the vehicle speed is eventually derive from the front or rear wheel speed sensor, since knowing the circumference of the tyres,No?
Not sure.

One of the guys I know was planning on fitting a speedo healer (HealTech Electronics Ltd. - Makers of the SpeedoHealer, GIpro, X-TRE, FI Tuner Pro, Brake Light Pro, MM5, OBD Tool) after going 2 up at the back.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 05:50 AM   #7
Phl

I Ride: Monster S4RS, CRF450, CRF50, GROM
made the change also 2 days ago, very smooth to ride in traffic, and also pops right in your face in the first 3 gears if you're sitting too far back and twisting the throttle too fast.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 06:05 AM   #8
Stw

Speedo accuracy is not affected?? Right??
Old Sep 14th 2012, 06:51 AM   #9
Phl

I Ride: Monster S4RS, CRF450, CRF50, GROM
Originally Posted by Stw View Post
Speedo accuracy is not affected?? Right??
not that i could tell. the 110 mph on the 1/8 mile were the 110 on the dash ;-)
Old Sep 14th 2012, 10:05 AM   #10

I Ride: 1199 and M796 & Others
I may be a dumbass, but Im not seeing what the actual mod is?

Im very interested since i too drive through the city (Los Angeles) and this sounds like a interesting concept

thanks!

Originally Posted by unrazzo View Post

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
14t, change, front, report, sprocket

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.