Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree14Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 31st 2015, 02:01 PM   #1

I Ride: 1199s
Best day ride west coast USA?

Hi all,
I am looking for advice from you guys on the west coast USA . Myself and my better half are heading over there in May touring from LA north to Seattle, and back to LA via Yellowstone Vegas etc , we would like to hire a ride for at least one day so I am looking for suggestions on the best day ride in that broad area and maybe a recommended hire company. Thinking Multistrada would be nice but not stuck on that.
Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 31st 2015, 02:30 PM   #2

Originally Posted by crankman View Post
Hi all,
I am looking for advice from you guys on the west coast USA . Myself and my better half are heading over there in May touring from LA north to Seattle, and back to LA via Yellowstone Vegas etc , we would like to hire a ride for at least one day so I am looking for suggestions on the best day ride in that broad area and maybe a recommended hire company. Thinking Multistrada would be nice but not stuck on that.
Thanks in advance.
If it's scenery you want, then it's impossible to beat the drive up HWY 1 from San Francisco to Mendocino.. truly breathtaking scenery; you ride an amazing road that takes you through the giant Redwoods, past rivers and the ocean, complete with cliffs and arches and views forever both up and down the coast.

You can ride through Anderson Valley and do some beer, wine and port tasting; stop in Mendocino for some outstanding food.. The ride from Anderson Valley drops down to the ocean and the road through the Redwoods is a fantastic section of open mid-speed sweepers, with some slower speed curves as well; the road surface is great through there and the local traffic tends to move over pretty sharpish if they see you coming.

Once you are in Mendocino, there are two amazing roads you can take back to the Freeway/HWY 101 to continue your journey either North or South, HWY 20 and HWY 128.. both of them are an incredible amount of fun and just endless series of turns and elevation changes.

Any of the 3 roads I have mentioned (HWY 1, HWY 20, or HWY 128) will do the trick. HWY 1 is the best scenery, HWY 20 is the best riding road and HWY 128 is probably the most interesting, with many places to stop along the way.. If I were you, I would do both 1 and 128 if you can.

Thanks from crankman and RRnold
Old Mar 31st 2015, 02:35 PM   #3

I Ride: 2015 Panigale R, 2018 XDiavel S
I vote for Highway 1 without a doubt.
Thanks from crankman
Old Mar 31st 2015, 02:40 PM   #4

I Ride: 2014 Panigale S, 2013 Multistrada Touring S, 2006 Harley Davidson Street Rod,
Agree completely with 80shilling. I was out there the first week of the year and road 101 up to 128 and cut over to Mendicino on Hwy 1 since I had to make time and get there before dark. 128 was a lot of fun with twisty roads, redwoods and lots of wineries. It is definitely worth a side trip. I road 1 down to San Fran the next day and it is spectacular. From San Fran to LA you want to be in 1 the whole way. It is gorgeous.
Thanks from crankman
Old Mar 31st 2015, 02:41 PM   #5

I Ride: 2014 Panigale S, 2013 Multistrada Touring S, 2006 Harley Davidson Street Rod,
On your way back from Vegas you may want to cut through Big Bear. That was pretty cool too.
Thanks from crankman
Old Mar 31st 2015, 02:47 PM   #6

Route 1 is amazing all the way through Big Sur. On your way back go through Joshua Tree as amazing scenery but polar opposite to route 1 - like a barren moonscape but very cool.
I love Cali, must get back there soon.
Thanks from crankman
Old Mar 31st 2015, 03:06 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Route 1 is amazing all the way through Big Sur. On your way back go through Joshua Tree as amazing scenery but polar opposite to route 1 - like a barren moonscape but very cool.
I love Cali, must get back there soon.
Agreed.. Big Sur is also spectacular.. Stop at The Post Ranch Inn for lunch or dinner and sit and watch the expanse of the Pacific Ocean in front of you , all the while watching Condors soar over the cliffs below you.
Thanks from crankman
Old Mar 31st 2015, 03:19 PM   #8

I Ride: Anything with 2 wheels!
I have to ride these roads!
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:12 AM   #9

I Ride: 1199s
Originally Posted by 80shilling View Post
If it's scenery you want, then it's impossible to beat the drive up HWY 1 from San Francisco to Mendocino.. truly breathtaking scenery; you ride an amazing road that takes you through the giant Redwoods, past rivers and the ocean, complete with cliffs and arches and views forever both up and down the coast.

You can ride through Anderson Valley and do some beer, wine and port tasting; stop in Mendocino for some outstanding food.. The ride from Anderson Valley drops down to the ocean and the road through the Redwoods is a fantastic section of open mid-speed sweepers, with some slower speed curves as well; the road surface is great through there and the local traffic tends to move over pretty sharpish if they see you coming.

Once you are in Mendocino, there are two amazing roads you can take back to the Freeway/HWY 101 to continue your journey either North or South, HWY 20 and HWY 128.. both of them are an incredible amount of fun and just endless series of turns and elevation changes.

Any of the 3 roads I have mentioned (HWY 1, HWY 20, or HWY 128) will do the trick. HWY 1 is the best scenery, HWY 20 is the best riding road and HWY 128 is probably the most interesting, with many places to stop along the way.. If I were you, I would do both 1 and 128 if you can.

First up , thanks for the response from all who did.

That sounds awesome , just a couple more questions, what is the level of police presence like along these roads? What is their attitude to bikes like ?Lastly any recommendations for bike hire companies in San Francisco?
Thanks again
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:32 AM   #10

Originally Posted by crankman View Post
First up , thanks for the response from all who did.

That sounds awesome , just a couple more questions, what is the level of police presence like along these roads? What is their attitude to bikes like ?Lastly any recommendations for bike hire companies in San Francisco?
Thanks again
I'd give Hwy 1 North of SF a nod as well. Police presence is usually very minimal because all the tourists in their rental cars, old codgers in their RVs and geriatric hippies in their VW Buses effectively slows you--and everyone else down. (There are turnouts, but slowpokes don't use 'em.) If you're going to do 1, DO NOT do it on the weekend!

Regarding cops--if you're cool, they're cool (provided you aren't riding like a maniac).

Bike rentals in SF? Try these guys: Bikes-for-Rent

I haven't used 'em, fyi.
Thanks from crankman

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
coast, day, ride, usa, west