Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree6Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 15th 2015, 07:15 PM   #1

I Ride: 1199S ABS in White
Can someone briefly explain Tuneboy to me?

I'm moving to CO soon and am looking forward to the road trips, but feel as though a cruise control would greatly help with the wrist pain I unfortunately get on this bike. I have a 13 S and love everything about it, except I still after everything (including sato rear sets) get wrist pain on any length of trip at all. So, I'm pretty excited to get this Tuneboy. I'm going to order it at the end of this month. The regular Cruise is like $400 and the "Tune & Cruise" is like $600. After talking with individuals on here I've decided to go with the later, tune & cruise. Here are my newb questions....

-What actually is it? I've installed PCV's before, is it something similar? I'm told I need a windows based computer (I have all mac -_-), is that true? Can any dyno place install one of these? (I've heard the tuneboy customer support is not very friendly. Where are the tunes? Do I have to download them? And where from? Or can I just have a dyno place do it? I have stock exhaust but have changed the sprocket in the front to a -1.) Tune the bike and make the cruise work? Do I need anything installed on my bike to work with this I don't already have? I noticed two sets of pigtails running off the bike, one in the tail and one near the shift linkage. I'm assuming I need to utilize the one near the shift linkage? Am I paying for anything physical? Like a module? Or is it just software?

Apologies for the newb questions. Please be easy on me and ANY help is Greatly appreciated!

Last edited by tjprattctr; Apr 15th 2015 at 07:17 PM.

Old Apr 16th 2015, 01:49 AM   #2

I Ride: 1199s
Originally Posted by tjprattctr View Post
I'm moving to CO soon and am looking forward to the road trips, but feel as though a cruise control would greatly help with the wrist pain I unfortunately get on this bike. I have a 13 S and love everything about it, except I still after everything (including sato rear sets) get wrist pain on any length of trip at all. So, I'm pretty excited to get this Tuneboy. I'm going to order it at the end of this month. The regular Cruise is like $400 and the "Tune & Cruise" is like $600. After talking with individuals on here I've decided to go with the later, tune & cruise. Here are my newb questions....

-What actually is it? I've installed PCV's before, is it something similar? I'm told I need a windows based computer (I have all mac -_-), is that true? Can any dyno place install one of these? (I've heard the tuneboy customer support is not very friendly. Where are the tunes? Do I have to download them? And where from? Or can I just have a dyno place do it? I have stock exhaust but have changed the sprocket in the front to a -1.) Tune the bike and make the cruise work? Do I need anything installed on my bike to work with this I don't already have? I noticed two sets of pigtails running off the bike, one in the tail and one near the shift linkage. I'm assuming I need to utilize the one near the shift linkage? Am I paying for anything physical? Like a module? Or is it just software?

Apologies for the newb questions. Please be easy on me and ANY help is Greatly appreciated!
Its basically software with a coms box ( the box is not fitted to the bike permanently, only plugged in to the OBD2 connector under the passenger seat when you wish to change tunes or settings) that allows you to flash ( rewrite)the factory ECU, you can reinstall the factory tune at any time. Nothing is physically fitted to the bike unless you chose to install the tuneboy quickshifter or the nudge buttons for cruise
Not sure if Mac works or not .
You don't need a dyno shop to install , easy to do yourself, a custom tune is probably best done by a shop familiar with Tuneboy
I have found support to be more than friendly , the difficulty is accessing it.
Tunes come with the software or can be downloaded or indeed shared with other users. Included tunes cover many common configurations for the bike , but best results will be with custom tune for your bike on dyno.
Don't think your sprocket will make much impact on the tune , Cruise you can easily get working yourself.
Nudge buttons are definitely worth it in my opinion , this plugs into one of the o2 sensor plugs.
I think its worth the effort you will get help from members here already running it, its great value, the only real issue lies with the support.
If you get it you will love it, and the cruise will definitely help with your wrist
Old Apr 16th 2015, 03:50 AM   #3

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD

I agree with everything Crankman said. The cruise control is good. I have not played with the software as I only have a Mac and it does not work with that.

I had mine actually installed by Wayne in Sydney and he did a custom dyno tune for my bike. With an MWR WSBK filter and full akra system it ended up on his dyno reading 190.4 HP. I think if I remember right torque went from about 95 to 105 at 5500rpm. Or maybe 85 to 95. But remember every dyno is different and the reading and numbers don't really matter. Wayne says himself that his dyno jet dyno or whatever it is reads higher than others.

The main point is I really felt a difference in the performance of the bike when riding it. The power is really linear now from about 5000rpm. I have ended typing more here than I meant to but in short (long). I think the TB stuff works well.

And you can load 3 different maps and pick the one you want to use by selecting with the clutch lever and getting an indication on which one you want by the tacho indicators. I must admit have not tried changing mine as I have liked the first one loaded.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 04:14 AM   #4

I Ride: '16 Pani R, 1098R Bayliss, KTM1090R.
If you are adding tuneboy solely for cruise control, then this mechanical option
is far cheaper and easy enough to use. I have had one on a 1200 multistrada for several
years and it is great for relaxing the throttle hand/wrist on longer journeys.

KAOKO? Cruise Control for DUCATI Panigale 1199 (2014), Panigale 899 (2013-)
Old Apr 16th 2015, 07:56 AM   #5

This is what I use... works like a charm. I can't remember if it's 7/8" or 1"... just measure the grip before ordering.
http://www.amazon.com/2Wheel-Ride-GC...+throttle+lock

I had to snug it up by drilling two small holes and putting a small black zip tie through them in a loop. That allowed me to control how tight I made it on the grip.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 08:34 AM   #6

Originally Posted by 990Glen View Post
If you are adding tuneboy solely for cruise control, then this mechanical option
is far cheaper and easy enough to use. I have had one on a 1200 multistrada for several
years and it is great for relaxing the throttle hand/wrist on longer journeys.

KAOKO? Cruise Control for DUCATI Panigale 1199 (2014), Panigale 899 (2013-)
I'm not interested in a throttle lock. I spent $185 on a throttlemeister and could not for the life of me get it to function properly. And I used to be a machine mechanic. It would steadily decline. I want a real electronic cruise control. And I've heard the tune portion makes the bike run smoother.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 08:34 AM   #7

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by crankman View Post
Its basically software with a coms box ( the box is not fitted to the bike permanently, only plugged in to the OBD2 connector under the passenger seat when you wish to change tunes or settings) that allows you to flash ( rewrite)the factory ECU, you can reinstall the factory tune at any time. Nothing is physically fitted to the bike unless you chose to install the tuneboy quickshifter or the nudge buttons for cruise
Not sure if Mac works or not .
You don't need a dyno shop to install , easy to do yourself, a custom tune is probably best done by a shop familiar with Tuneboy
I have found support to be more than friendly , the difficulty is accessing it.
Tunes come with the software or can be downloaded or indeed shared with other users. Included tunes cover many common configurations for the bike , but best results will be with custom tune for your bike on dyno.
Don't think your sprocket will make much impact on the tune , Cruise you can easily get working yourself.
Nudge buttons are definitely worth it in my opinion , this plugs into one of the o2 sensor plugs.
I think its worth the effort you will get help from members here already running it, its great value, the only real issue lies with the support.
If you get it you will love it, and the cruise will definitely help with your wrist
Can't thank you enough for the help and information.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 08:35 AM   #8

Originally Posted by bradp51 View Post
I agree with everything Crankman said. The cruise control is good. I have not played with the software as I only have a Mac and it does not work with that.

I had mine actually installed by Wayne in Sydney and he did a custom dyno tune for my bike. With an MWR WSBK filter and full akra system it ended up on his dyno reading 190.4 HP. I think if I remember right torque went from about 95 to 105 at 5500rpm. Or maybe 85 to 95. But remember every dyno is different and the reading and numbers don't really matter. Wayne says himself that his dyno jet dyno or whatever it is reads higher than others.

The main point is I really felt a difference in the performance of the bike when riding it. The power is really linear now from about 5000rpm. I have ended typing more here than I meant to but in short (long). I think the TB stuff works well.

And you can load 3 different maps and pick the one you want to use by selecting with the clutch lever and getting an indication on which one you want by the tacho indicators. I must admit have not tried changing mine as I have liked the first one loaded.
Thank you sir!
Old Apr 16th 2015, 09:03 AM   #9

I Ride: 1199 ABS, K1300S, ZX7R
I'm not interested in a throttle lock. I spent $185 on a throttlemeister and could not for the life of me get it to function properly. And I used to be a machine mechanic. It would steadily decline. I want a real electronic cruise control. And I've heard the tune portion makes the bike run smoother.
I'm with you, I have it on ,my BMW, and you keep being the wrong speed for hills. The unique thing about the Tuneboy, is it replaces your tune instead of adding on. Therefore they can literally take control of any aspect of your bike. That allows better for tunes, cruise, and a better QS that goes up and down!
Thanks from tjprattctr

Last edited by Trauma; Apr 16th 2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 09:42 AM   #10

I Ride: 2012 1199 Tricolore, 2007 Porsche GT3RS
You will need a special strain gauge to do clutchless downshifts with the TB. I have it on my 2012 Tri, and it is fantastic. The bike runs far better (and I still have an old trim file installed) than with the Ducati-supplied usb program for the full Termi system. I also have the MWR HE filter. Support from Wayne and the gang is what will drive you to use heroin. Patience doesn't begin to cover what you will need when you ask a question of them. If you can handle that, it is a great.
Thanks from Phl and tjprattctr

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
briefly, explain, newb, question, tuneboy