Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree25Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19th 2015, 01:27 PM   #11

I Ride: 2012 1199 Tricolore, 2007 Porsche GT3RS
My guess, if it hasn't reoccurred since, is that you had some water in your gas. Obviously, if it happens again on a different tank of fuel that is not it. Good luck with your search.
Thanks from JPKII

Old May 19th 2015, 01:53 PM   #12

Thanks all.

I put about 3 oz of Sea Foam in with a new tank of gas.

If that doesn't get it my next step will be plug wires. For 200 freaking dollars. lol.

I'm also gonna get online with the RB tonight and see if anything freaky is going on with it.

I'll update this when I find a cure.
Thanks from b9009b
Old May 19th 2015, 02:13 PM   #13
Phl

I Ride: Panigale, CRF450, FZR400, GROM
the fact that it's exactly at 5k leads me to assume that it has to be software related, not wires, plugs or anything like that. but that's only an assumption.
Thanks from JPKII, bp7178 and Macattack
Old May 19th 2015, 02:21 PM   #14

Originally Posted by Phl View Post
the fact that it's exactly at 5k leads me to assume that it has to be software related, not wires, plugs or anything like that. but that's only an assumption.
That makes sense. I know the RB can't have a correction of over 5 in the 40% demand 4500 RPM to 5250 RPM column. Last time I did this though it threw a check engine light. I went into the RB and manually adjusted the trim settings and away we went. It also didn't stumble like this. It just threw a CEL and kept on steaming. But I do plan on checking the RB software tonight.
Old May 19th 2015, 03:15 PM   #15

I Ride: red 2015 Multistrada
If you don't have access to ethanol free fuel, there is race gas that would be safe to run. It's not cheap, but might help. Anytime your bike bike sits, the ethanol draws water to it.
Old May 19th 2015, 03:51 PM   #16

I Ride: 2013 Panigale White, 2007 CBR600RR, 2017 MV Agusta Dragster RC #108
The bike would have to sit for months to have negative effects from ethanol based fuel. My last car (lancer evolution) was converted to e-85 only and at times would sit for 1-2 months at a time. Started up n ran perfectly fine every time. Highly doubt it's fuel related.
Old May 19th 2015, 04:34 PM   #17

I Ride: 92 907ie / 12 1199 STD
Originally Posted by Phl View Post
+1, I'm with Phil. As a matter of fact I had a conversation yesterday with my mechanic about mapping and he mentioned he had a bike (1199) in that the owner had installed block off plates, the bike was running horribly, stumbling, AF was way off, he said something about what they had to do to the mapping but my eyes were glazed over at that point; the guy is seriously the rainman of Ducatis, he knows everything...
Old May 19th 2015, 07:08 PM   #18

So my ride home today was totally uneventful. 20.6 miles, varying RPM between 4K and 6K at various TP, and zero issues. I'm gonna give this tank of gas with Sea Foam a shot and see where I end up. Before I get too frisky changing parts, etc.

As I thought more about it today my last fill up was about 3 weeks ago from a gas station that I typically would have never used. I had an unexpected meeting pop up and I was forced to stop at this crappy, run down gas station. So it very well could be fuel related.

I have another 55 miles or so on this tank of gas. I'm heading out of town for a couple of days so it won't be until Friday or Saturday when I can ride again. This "work thing" getting in the way of riding is starting to get old!!
Old May 19th 2015, 07:54 PM   #19

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD
Originally Posted by JPKII View Post
So my ride home today was totally uneventful. 20.6 miles, varying RPM between 4K and 6K at various TP, and zero issues. I'm gonna give this tank of gas with Sea Foam a shot and see where I end up. Before I get too frisky changing parts, etc.

As I thought more about it today my last fill up was about 3 weeks ago from a gas station that I typically would have never used. I had an unexpected meeting pop up and I was forced to stop at this crappy, run down gas station. So it very well could be fuel related.

I have another 55 miles or so on this tank of gas. I'm heading out of town for a couple of days so it won't be until Friday or Saturday when I can ride again. This "work thing" getting in the way of riding is starting to get old!!
Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. So here is mine.

I am not mechanic but whenever I have had water in fuel the spluttering would occur all over the rev range not at a specific point (5000rpm) as you mention.

Its got to be something to do with your recent work if it was running fine before that.

Good luck, I reckon it will be something simple in the end.
Thanks from JPKII and bp7178
Old May 20th 2015, 08:30 AM   #20

I Ride: 2013 1199S 2005 VFR800
The symptoms you described happened to my 1199 also recently.

The 5K ceiling and strange bucking event and having to feather the clutch to keep from stalling. I have the RB RACE module and MWR HE Filter and during the episode was 10 minutes from home on highway - no CEL displayed.

Next day did 1200km (720 mile) trip through mountains and bike ran fantastic. Could not duplicate sysmptoms again.

I attributed it to bad gas from small out of the way station. I do not think RB deals well with bad gas! The affects of bad gas are increased dramatically with RB module which could explain the violent bucking at back end, something I have never experienced in 40 years of riding.

After the event I immediately went to my regular station and filled up with good gas and have since always made a point of stopping at busy gas stations.
Always start at the most basic root of problem, in this case bad gas. If that doesn't work escalate corrective measures one level of cost at a time.
Good luck.
Thanks from JPKII

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
5000, rpm, stumble