Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree5Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27th 2015, 01:07 PM   #1

I Ride: 2012 1199 Pani S + 2018 V4 Speciale
Weird starting issue

Hi
Had a weird starting issue today, and a little stumped at the moment. Havenít experienced anything similar earlier. Haven't seen anything similar on the forums either so trying a new thread.

Been on the highway for 20mins or so, and pulled into a gas station to fill up, filled the tank. Then I started up normally and drove 300 meters over to the restaurant where I met with 2 others. After chatting for 10-15 mins we got on the bikes to leave, and the turned the ignition key and everything primed as normal, fuel pump span up etc. When I then pressed the starter button I heard the fuel pump spin up, but the starter engine didnít turn at all. We looked over the bike, checked fuses and the normal things, but no change. We turned off the bike and took out the key a few times and tried again, but still no reaction from the starter engine. We then jumped the bike in 2nd gear and it started without issue. We then took off and drove for a few minutes and then I clumsily stalled the bike at a light, and then tried the starter button and the starter engine worked normally and started the bike. We rode some more and took a break, and when we rode off again the bike started normally. At our next stop, we rested a while and then started the bikes normally and drove 500m to a scenic spot where we took a few pictures and when I tried to start same problem again, fuel pump and everything went normally, but no turnover on the starter engine. Again we jumped the bike and it started easily. Drove some more and stopped for a route talk and then the bike started normally again. We rode some more and then had a final stop to say goodbye and part ways, and the problem appeared again, no starter turnover but everything else looked fine.

I checked the battery volts from the display, and the times I checked with the engine off the voltage read at 12,5-12,6v. The times I checked the battery voltage through the display when the engine was running it read between 13,4 Ė 14,1v. I also looked at the battery voltage while I pressed the starter button, when the starter engine didnít turnover, but the voltage didnít change at all.

I am going to check the cables to the starter engine tomorrow, that they arenít loose. The battery voltages seem to me, to be normal, but could it be the battery that is dying? Any other suggestions of what to look at or look for are always appreciated

Old May 28th 2015, 07:46 PM   #2

I Ride: 1299 & GSX-R 1000
Doesn't sound like a battery issue to me, sounds more like an electrical issue, but I'm no mechanic. If battery were losing power starter would not turn over intermittently.
Thanks from mordor
Old May 29th 2015, 03:41 AM   #3

If you hear clicking, then the solenoid is getting power and the starter is likely the issue. No click and their is either a short between the ignition and the solenoid or it is perhaps going out. I am not a mechanic, but I play one on TV.
Thanks from mordor
Old May 29th 2015, 04:19 AM   #4

Voltage regulator. Common issue on Ducati's, I would assume if you replace that part that your issue would go away. You will need another battery if you wait too long.

540.4.030.1B - Part number, this is a shared part number for the Diavel as well. You can look it up on the fiche.

Last edited by Grayson; May 29th 2015 at 04:23 AM.
Old May 29th 2015, 04:59 AM   #5

I Ride: 2015 1199R
this might even be a loose connection - probably not battery, but easy enough to look at

keep us informed
Old May 29th 2015, 05:23 AM   #6

I Ride: 1299 Base, FZR 1000
Originally Posted by Sinjin View Post
If you hear clicking, then the solenoid is getting power and the starter is likely the issue. No click and their is either a short between the ignition and the solenoid or it is perhaps going out. I am not a mechanic, but I play one on TV.

It might be getting power. After turning wrenches for 30 years,I've seen
my share of relays that click when energized but the contacts are bad
not allowing the power to flow through.

mordor,

The bad part is this is intermittent. If you hear nothing when pushing the start button...it could be the switch or a bad relay. If you hear a relay click,you need to check for voltage at the starter. If the voltage at the starter solenoid is o.k. when pushing the start button...it's likely the starter. There is a relay in the circuit somewhere,i just wish I had some shop manuals in front of me so I could run through the schematic and tell you where to look.

Your voltages sound normal for a 12V system...

Chris
Old May 29th 2015, 07:00 AM   #7

I Ride: 1199S ABS
Did you remember to ask it nicely? The bike will start for you whenever you want, but you have to ask it nicely.
Thanks from b9009b
Old May 29th 2015, 07:37 AM   #8

I Ride: 2015 1199R
Originally Posted by Duck41 View Post
Did you remember to ask it nicely? The bike will start for you whenever you want, but you have to ask it nicely.
...i'm not sure he can handle the truth....
Thanks from Duck41
Old May 29th 2015, 05:01 PM   #9

I Ride: Yamaha thundercat , Ducati 999s, Ducati 1199, AMV8V
I had this also and found that if i slid the kill switch up and down a couple of times it would go..ended up taking the starter button assembly apart and gave it a good clean and scraped the copper with a small screwdriver...
I ride in all weathers so i'm guessing it was gummed up and giving a poor contact..
Since i cleaned it i haven't had the issue return...
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:59 AM   #10

I Ride: 2012 1199 Pani S + 2018 V4 Speciale
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Just wanted to provide an update. The starter relay was clicking and the starter was only turning over intermittently. The battery in mine was the original from when it was built in 2012, so I decided to try to change the battery to check and went for a shorai battery, and the problem still persisted, so I gave up and asked my dealer to try an figure it out. Being summer they have been busy so it took a little while for them to look at it.

Their conclusion was that the starter was failing and they have replaced the starter. They couldn't quite say why the starter failed and said it was a bit earlier than they would normally expect. But so far the problem has not reoccurred, so I am happy again
Thanks from Gecko

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
issue, starting, weird

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.