Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 10:52 AM   #1

Gas overflow?

Just been out on an 80 mile run in a couple of the passes east of Livermore, Ca and for some reason I decided to fill up at the gas station rather than me filling it up in my garage. I just find it easier to fill up from gas can than trying to hold the Ca vapor recovery nozzle open by hand to get the pump to work. Anyway I had ear plugs in, helmet on and this guy comes up and asks a bunch of questions about the bike (which was nice) but it meant I wasn't paying full attention to what I was doing! I did NOT over flow the tank in that gas poured out over the bike. However, when I got back in the garage - a mile from the station a distinctive 2-3" puddle formed under the bike very quickly. It dripped out from where the fairings join at the front, right behind the radiator. It stopped almost as quickly as it seemed to start. I thought it must be coolant or oil and I'd caught one of the dreaded Panigale leak issues but when I "tested" the liquid it seemed to be gas? Could I have filled the gas breather line and it vented out? Didn't feel the bike slip/slide as I rode it even though it was just a mile? Oil level is good. Thanks for any help.

Old Sep 23rd 2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Retired

that's exactly what you did, the overflow vented out one of the tank vents, do you still have your charcoal canister in? If so you might have filled that as well which can lead to running problems.

Originally Posted by Gulf Coast View Post
Just been out on an 80 mile run in a couple of the passes east of Livermore, Ca and for some reason I decided to fill up at the gas station rather than me filling it up in my garage. I just find it easier to fill up from gas can than trying to hold the Ca vapor recovery nozzle open by hand to get the pump to work. Anyway I had ear plugs in, helmet on and this guy comes up and asks a bunch of questions about the bike (which was nice) but it meant I wasn't paying full attention to what I was doing! I did NOT over flow the tank in that gas poured out over the bike. However, when I got back in the garage - a mile from the station a distinctive 2-3" puddle formed under the bike very quickly. It dripped out from where the fairings join at the front, right behind the radiator. It stopped almost as quickly as it seemed to start. I thought it must be coolant or oil and I'd caught one of the dreaded Panigale leak issues but when I "tested" the liquid it seemed to be gas? Could I have filled the gas breather line and it vented out? Didn't feel the bike slip/slide as I rode it even though it was just a mile? Oil level is good. Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 04:23 PM   #3

Thanks - that makes me feel a bit better but "yes" I do have the canister in. I've got a recall letter so might tell dealer about it. Or, I assume, just removing the canister would solve that potential issue? If I don't use the bike for a week won't the gas just evaporate off the charcoal? Temps still up in the 80's in California.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 08:47 AM   #4

I Ride: 1199
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast View Post
I just find it easier to fill up from gas can than trying to hold the Ca vapor recovery nozzle open by hand to get the pump to work. .

Huh?? What nozzle are you having to hold open by hand?

To answer the other question, you probobly topped off to the max amount but when you parked the bike on the side stand the fuel overflowed to the evap canister and then vented/ leaked out the drainer tube that is run to the bottom of the bike.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:25 AM   #5

I Ride: 1199 ABS, K1300S, ZX7R
They are vapor retention nozzles for polution control. We have them in St Louis as well. You have to hold the accordian like part up while fillling a gas can or cycle to get it completely full.
Attached Thumbnails
Gas overflow?-nozzle.jpg  
Old Sep 24th 2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Retired

and if I recall the manual they caution on not overfilling the tank to prevent getting in the charcoal canister, not really anything to worry about unless you start noticing running problems. but certanly your dealer can check and empty out any residual that might be hanging around in the canister.

No worries either way. It is a pain to pump with those recovery shroud things.

Originally Posted by Ducati Dreams View Post
Huh?? What nozzle are you having to hold open by hand?

To answer the other question, you probobly topped off to the max amount but when you parked the bike on the side stand the fuel overflowed to the evap canister and then vented/ leaked out the drainer tube that is run to the bottom of the bike.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 11:41 PM   #7

I Ride: GSXR750 K7, 1199 Panigale
Check your canister and drain it if it has fuel in it. Better yet, just remove it permanently.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
gas, overflow

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed