Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree3Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 02:51 PM   #11

I Ride: 2012 1199 Panigale, 2009 CRF 450R Motard
Originally Posted by jarelj View Post
It's really not that hard, but it's also one of those things that I would never recommend you tackle yourself until you've watched someone else competent do it. You don't want to F up your forks, and there are lots of things that go wrong in this process to F them up, especially if you don't have the right tools and environment. That's why you won't generally find "how-to" resources on this, no one wants to publish it and then have you try to blame them when you F it up! Ha ha! For example, one little fiber off of a shop rag that get on your spring can then migrate into the oil and find its way right into your shim stack. That's not even to mention how many times the fork cap gets installed incorrectly on the cartridge and the adjuster no longer functions.
I'm curious - How does one install the fork cap incorrectly?

Perhaps you were talking about the S/R model?

I have done a spring swap on a base model with the 30mm nix cartridges and don't think I did it incorrectly, but want to know if there's a common error I need to avoid in the future....

Basically you just tighten down the fork cap and THEN tighten the upper triple, right? Unless you're talking about the fancy electronic ones or people are tightening the upper triple first, not seeing what you can do wrong other than the stuff you can get wrong on anything (cross-threading, under/overtorquing, etc.)

Old Sep 3rd 2015, 03:43 PM   #12

I Ride: 13 1199S, 02R1, MTS1000S
Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
I'm curious - How does one install the fork cap incorrectly?
There's a measured amount of thread from the damper rod that screws into the cap, if you screw this up you either screw up your cap or end up with no adjustability.
Thanks from Ductard
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 04:38 PM   #13
Site Sponsor

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
Originally Posted by ruley View Post
There's a measured amount of thread from the damper rod that screws into the cap, if you screw this up you either screw up your cap or end up with no adjustability.
Yes, this. /\
Thanks from Ductard
Old Sep 4th 2015, 06:15 AM   #14

After pulling the forks and taking them in, it was $110 for the spring swap..

more a pain in the A$$, knowing what i know about the elecontric suspension now... If not for the deal i got on the bike, i would have bought a Base and upgraded the suspension..
Old Sep 4th 2015, 12:56 PM   #15

I Ride: 2014 1199 Panigale S ABS
I'm actually in a pretty similar boat myself, I've got a 2014 1199S and with a trackday coming up next Saturday, I'd like to get the suspension setup for my weight (135-140 in shorts/150-155 in full gear). Went over to a buddy's shop who has always done a great job, but could only get like 15mm of sag in the rear and there's no way to even get close to what it should be without changing out the springs considering these are so stiff for me.

I'm definitely not trying to tackle this myself but this caught my eye when I read that some tracks have an Ohlins rep there who will swap springs for free. If that be the case, I wonder if I can just contact my trackday org, see if they'll have an Ohlins rep there that day and talk to them about buying springs from them and having them swap them out for me that morning and setting the bike up.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 01:02 PM   #16

I Ride: 84' Short Bus, 14' 1199RM, 16' R1
Originally Posted by WatchThis View Post
I'm actually in a pretty similar boat myself, I've got a 2014 1199S and with a trackday coming up next Saturday, I'd like to get the suspension setup for my weight (135-140 in shorts/150-155 in full gear). Went over to a buddy's shop who has always done a great job, but could only get like 15mm of sag in the rear and there's no way to even get close to what it should be without changing out the springs considering these are so stiff for me.

I'm definitely not trying to tackle this myself but this caught my eye when I read that some tracks have an Ohlins rep there who will swap springs for free. If that be the case, I wonder if I can just contact my trackday org, see if they'll have an Ohlins rep there that day and talk to them about buying springs from them and having them swap them out for me that morning and setting the bike up.
I believe I read you were doing a TPM trackday soon. If so Markbilt will be there and he is the Ohlins guy that goes there for them. Hit them up..

Home
Old Sep 4th 2015, 01:08 PM   #17

Originally Posted by b9009b View Post
I believe I read you were doing a TPM trackday soon. If so Markbilt will be there and he is the Ohlins guy that goes there for them. Hit them up..

Home
Yes sir, you read correct, TPM trackday at NCBike. Thanks for that, I'll talk to them and see what we can do.
Thanks from b9009b
Old Sep 4th 2015, 04:03 PM   #18

Yes sir, you read correct, TPM trackday at NCBike. Thanks for that, I'll talk to them and see what we can do.

Definitely call him sooner rather than later. He didn't stock rear springs for an 1199 when I saw him at NJMP, no knock on him - I haven't spoken to a trackside guy that does.

Markbuilt is the one that told me that trackside spring swaps are free, but I heard somewhere else that only applies to aftermarket. Mark will tell you for sure. Even if i's not free, it's probably not pricey...The front is like a 5-10 minute job with the right tools, the rear isn't too bad....if you have TRex sliders they make it a little harder to get the shock off, but that's not too bad either.

See if you can hook up with MrBrettBaker (his screen name on here and real name). He's a TPM coach and a good guy - seems to like to show guys on Pani's around.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 05:59 PM   #19

Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
Definitely call him sooner rather than later. He didn't stock rear springs for an 1199 when I saw him at NJMP, no knock on him - I haven't spoken to a trackside guy that does.

Markbuilt is the one that told me that trackside spring swaps are free, but I heard somewhere else that only applies to aftermarket. Mark will tell you for sure. Even if i's not free, it's probably not pricey...The front is like a 5-10 minute job with the right tools, the rear isn't too bad....if you have TRex sliders they make it a little harder to get the shock off, but that's not too bad either.

See if you can hook up with MrBrettBaker (his screen name on here and real name). He's a TPM coach and a good guy - seems to like to show guys on Pani's around.
Yeah I went to his website and sent him an email so we'll see what he says. It looks like he's based out of the NJMP area so idk if they make trips down here to NC very often but we'll see I guess.

I also contacted TPM directly to find out if they would have an Ohlins rep there that day which they said there wouldn't be but the owner could help me get a baseline set up fo about $40. Only thing is, that's exactly what we tried to do yesterday but couldn't do anything due to how stuff the factory springs are compared with my weight. So I dunno...

I'll see if I can contact MrBrettBaker as well, it'd be nice to have somebody show me around a bit, especially considering this will be my first trackday on the Pani and I'm a novice at that.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 12:12 PM   #20

Yeah I went to his website and sent him an email so we'll see what he says. It looks like he's based out of the NJMP area so idk if they make trips down here to NC very often but we'll see I guess.

I also contacted TPM directly to find out if they would have an Ohlins rep there that day which they said there wouldn't be but the owner could help me get a baseline set up fo about $40. Only thing is, that's exactly what we tried to do yesterday but couldn't do anything due to how stuff the factory springs are compared with my weight. So I dunno...

I'll see if I can contact MrBrettBaker as well, it'd be nice to have somebody show me around a bit, especially considering this will be my first trackday on the Pani and I'm a novice at that.
How'd things shake out for you down at NC Bike?

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
changing, fork, ohlins, springs

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.