Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree8Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 20th 2015, 04:02 PM   #1

I Ride: 2012 1199 Panigale, 2009 CRF 450R Motard
GMD Chassis Measurement #'s - 1199 Pani

Hi All,

I thought these geometry numbers might be useful to people...

I got a 4th place finish last weekend, which GMD computrack gives you a 50% off of a chassis measurement for an "almost on the podium" contingency.

I know what some of these measurements mean (rake, trail, etc.) some of them I have no clue what the measurement is, but I don't know what *good* numbers are for any of them.

I'm going to send them to my *regular* suspension guy and see what he thinks, but feel free to chime in if anybody has anything to say about these.

The good news is my frame is straight
Attached Thumbnails
GMD Chassis Measurement #'s - 1199 Pani-gmd-computrak-measurements-1199-panigale-redacted-p1.jpg   GMD Chassis Measurement #'s - 1199 Pani-gmd-computrak-measurements-1199-panigale-redacted-p2.jpg  
Thanks from Phl, BigBoost, JHTmcrider and 1 others

Old Aug 20th 2015, 05:04 PM   #2

I Ride: 1199R
Good info showing front wheel not set in the center of the forks - steering axis or rear wheel an easy a fix machining spacers, wheel set to the right side of the bike
Old Aug 21st 2015, 02:46 AM   #3

I Ride: '15 Panigale 1299S, '15 Triumph 675R, '14 Honda Grom, '13 Aprilia RSV4, '10 Yamaha R6, '06 Yamaha R1
Some people think the GMD "sweet numbers" are crap, some people swear by them.

Personally, I love them. I have had every race bike initially setup by GMD using their Computrak computer system since 2008. I always love the way the bike feels afterwards.

From there, we make small changes based upon the track or conditions or tire changes, etc. But I always initially have GMD setup the overall geometry on my bike.
Thanks from Ljuice26
Old Aug 21st 2015, 04:35 AM   #4

I Ride: 1199
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post

Personally, I love them. I have had every race bike initially setup by GMD using their Computrak computer system since 2008. I always love the way the bike feels afterwards.

From there, we make small changes based upon the track or conditions or tire changes, etc. But I always initially have GMD setup the overall geometry on my bike.
Which shop do you go to, Fort Lauderdale or ATL?
Old Aug 21st 2015, 06:01 AM   #5

I Ride: kx450f & 1199 panigale
Great info! I think I should get mine checked, I've had a couple of nasty crashes on the track this season. Still healing two separated shoulders from the most recent one.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 07:46 AM   #6

I Ride: '15 Panigale 1299S, '15 Triumph 675R, '14 Honda Grom, '13 Aprilia RSV4, '10 Yamaha R6, '06 Yamaha R1
Originally Posted by Ljuice26 View Post
Which shop do you go to, Fort Lauderdale or ATL?
I use Kent at GMD in ATL.
Thanks from Phl and Ljuice26
Old Aug 24th 2015, 09:28 PM   #7

Originally Posted by wfoduck View Post
Great info! I think I should get mine checked, I've had a couple of nasty crashes on the track this season. Still healing two separated shoulders from the most recent one.
Hope you heal up soon. I heard you had a nasty spill in T9.

I'll see if I come up with any more 4th place finishes. I gave my other cert to my garage mate but there are a couple more rounds this year to go.

The bad news for all of us is that GMD didn't seem to think there was anything they could do if the bike wasn't straight...

But that could lend some credence to the whole "we make the steering stops so they break off" thing.

Their "frame straightening" service is expensive (~$500), but the cheapest I've seen a monocoque for was ~$2,500...and I think that was a salvage "frame" -that might be bent to begin with...
Thanks from wfoduck
Old Aug 24th 2015, 09:33 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post

Yeah, I've heard the "sweet numbers" are subject to personal preference, style, etc... A lot of people talk like GMD's method puts a little too much science in the art, but I agree that a chassis measurement is a good place to start (especially at half price )

It did point immediately to a swingarm angle issue for me.

I lengthened the shock by 2 turns, rode a session, and got my drive traction back

...but I felt like I lost a little feel in the front end, so I took it back one turn and felt like it was a good compromise. Good drive traction, not too wheelie prone, pretty good front end feel.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 04:36 AM   #9

I Ride: kx450f & 1199 panigale
Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
Hope you heal up soon. I heard you had a nasty spill in T9.

I'll see if I come up with any more 4th place finishes. I gave my other cert to my garage mate but there are a couple more rounds this year to go.

The bad news for all of us is that GMD didn't seem to think there was anything they could do if the bike wasn't straight...

But that could lend some credence to the whole "we make the steering stops so they break off" thing.

Their "frame straightening" service is expensive (~$500), but the cheapest I've seen a monocoque for was ~$2,500...and I think that was a salvage "frame" -that might be bent to begin with...
Thanks ductard. Beware of the r&g steering stops, they bend both my forks on my first crash. What is the length of your shock now? Glad you're getting it sorted out
Old Aug 25th 2015, 08:12 AM   #10

Originally Posted by wfoduck View Post
Thanks ductard. Beware of the r&g steering stops, they bend both my forks on my first crash. What is the length of your shock now? Glad you're getting it sorted out
Yeah, I saw that the day of your crash. I'm not sure if that was inevitable or not though, you went down pretty hard.

After relocating my brake and clutch reservoirs, I was able to put my clip-ons where I wanted them vs. where they had to go to keep those from hitting. In the process, I got them where the damper didn't bind at the extremes (highly recommended mod for the cost of some tygon tubing, and some scrap aluminum or a purpose made bracket).

So long story short, I might just leave things as they stand. IMHO, no reason to get a new lower because the stops will be toast the first crash I'm in. Rather than getting a new lower for ~$600, I'd probably get some adjustable offset triples for ~$1000 if it comes to that. The ones I saw had replaceable steering stops that bolted in.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
1199, chassis, geometry, gmd, measurement, measurements, pani, rake, trail

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.