Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 7th 2015, 06:21 AM   #1

Installed FAR mirrors, now turn signals won't flash

I picked up a base 2012 1199 last weekend and love it. Except those mirrors, yuck. So I found a set I like and ordered them. See here:
http://ducati1299.com/ducati-1199/30...ors-italy.html

They're advertised as plug and play. I replaced the left side mirror, bolted it up, and tested it. When I flick the turn signal left, it gives one quick flash and then stays off. When I flick the turn signal right to the stock mirror, it blinks normally. I uninstalled and returned to stock.

The bike has a few mods already that I inherited. I suspect the culprit may be the rear turn signals. The previous owner replaced the rear fender with a plate zip tied to the passenger foot pegs (sigh) and a set of cheap stick-on LEDs for turn signals and license plate illumination.

Is there likely a relay that someone installed in the electrical system to regulate the LED blinking speed? Could that be preventing the front turn signals in the new mirrors from blinking normally? If so, where is this relay likely to be installed?

I love it when people buy expensive sportbikes and then spend $3 total on mods. I already got an NRC integrated tail set to fix the rear, so that's going in soon.

Old Nov 13th 2015, 06:13 AM   #2

Bump. Some more information from testing and tweaking...

I installed the NRC integrated tail signal kit. They were plug and play and work fine.

With the new front mirrors installed, the turn signals flash at twice the rate. This wouldn't be a big deal, however, the new mirrors only flash once. If I return to stock mirrors, they flash normally.

I'm thinking I need an inline resistor, but this raises so many questions. The stock mirrors are LED, and these new FAR mirrors are LED. Why does it need a resistor? I thought they were only needed when switching from incandescent to LED.

What resistor rating should I use? I'm thinking I should attach a multimeter to both mirrors and see if there is a difference in resistance between the two. Then solder an inline resistor in the new mirror to make up the difference.

Should I add a resistor and try it, or should I just return these mirrors and try another kit? I like the look of these best. They were advertised as plug and play!

Why has nobody else had these issues before? Replacing the rear signals and front mirrors are fairly common mods. I can't imagine nobody has run into this yet.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 08:29 AM   #3

I Ride: 1199 SL, 1199S Tri, 1299S Anni, MV Agusta F4 750, M1200S, M696, Husaberg FS650e, Petronas FP1
hhmmm... since there are LEDs on motorcylces people seem to have problems with connecting them. Even in the old age of regular bulbs they were confused with the funny 2-pin blinker relays

If you have no knowledge of basic electrotechnics, it's a bit difficult to explain (I really dont mean this in an arrogant way!).

Measuring the electrical resistance of a semiconductor like an LED makes no sense regarding your problem.

What do you mean with "inline": serial or parallel connection of the resistor?

My guess is that the bikes electronics measures the load of the blinker when turning them on. When the load is to low, it thinks that there is a bad connection or no blinker is connected. If the load is to high, it turns off the blinker to avoid damaging internal driver chips.

I've installed 3rd party LEDs (rear brake and blinkers) on multiple Panigales and did some measurements.
Rizoma always worked perfect, Kellermann's load was to low and had to be compensated with an additional load resistor in parallel.

I do know about the brake lights detection algorithm (had to do some tests to bring brake light modulators to work), but I did not check for the blinkers because I never had any problems.

Anyway, to solve your problem the first steps would be:
connect first the OEM blinker and then the FAR mirrors LED to a 12V battery, and measure the current flowing thru the circuit. Remember, LEDs (diodes) are polarity sensitive!

Multiply the voltage (12V) with the measured current and you'll get the load in Watts.
If the load of the new blinker is lower than the OEM one, it's easy, you'll have to install a resistor in parallel. If the load is higher, it becomes more difficult....
Old Nov 13th 2015, 11:40 AM   #4

Gecko, thanks for the fantastically informative reply. I'm an electrical novice, but even I should be able to manage V=IR and P=VI (hopefully).

Your explanation makes a lot of sense. I'll need to scrounge around to find a car battery and some wire I can use for this test.

The FAR mirrors appear to have a resistor wired in series prior to the connector. Maybe this is improperly sized? If the load comes back too low, how will I know what size resistor to wire in parallel?

Also, it sounds like if all else fails, I'll get a set of the Rizoma mirrors.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 12:03 AM   #5

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD
My FAR mirrors work fine, had them for about 2 years
Old Nov 16th 2015, 05:30 PM   #6

Brad,

Which style did you buy? I got the 7392/93 style. I'm curious if that makes a difference. See here:
DUCATI 1199 PANIGALE LED Mirrors 7395/96-Pair

Also, did you replace the rear turn signals with LED's? I'm thinking that makes a difference as well.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 10:12 AM   #7

Brad, what did you do to the tails? Is it stock or do you have LED's?
Old Nov 19th 2015, 05:58 PM   #8

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD
Sorry not sure what style
Mine just plugged in to std fitting
I tried two different ones
Can send you a pic
My bike has led rear

Cheers

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
flash, installed, mirrors, signals, turn