Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree102Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 27th 2016, 11:54 PM   #21

I Ride: '15 Panigale 1299S, '15 Triumph 675R, '14 Honda Grom, '13 Aprilia RSV4, '10 Yamaha R6, '06 Yamaha R1
Nice work.
Thanks from Styler

Old Jan 28th 2016, 05:13 AM   #22

I Ride: 2012 1199S, 2008 Speed Triple
Question Delete plugs for headlights and tail-lights

Can you guys enlighten me as to what I will need when I eliminate the headlights and tail-lights as I progress with my track-bike conversion? I want the bike to operate without any error codes appearing on the dash.
(I plan to keep the side-stand and radiator fan.)
Links to products would be ideal.
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 05:47 AM   #23

I Ride: '15 Panigale 1299S, '15 Triumph 675R, '14 Honda Grom, '13 Aprilia RSV4, '10 Yamaha R6, '06 Yamaha R1
Since you are making it a track-only bike, I would HIGHLY suggest eliminating the side-stand. There is no good that can come from leaving it on the bike.

Definitely keep the radiator fan though.
Thanks from Last Week
Old Jan 28th 2016, 05:54 AM   #24

Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
Since you are making it a track-only bike, I would HIGHLY suggest eliminating the side-stand. There is no good that can come from leaving it on the bike.

I understand the risk; it's just that the side-stand is just so damn convenient. What I've done thus far is use the side stand when the bike is in the garage and moving it to and from the track, but zip-tie it up during the track day.

Nonetheless, I will consider your advice. Thanks.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 06:21 AM   #25

I Ride: '12 1199S
Man, this is good stuff! I'm hoping to potentially go through a track conversion myself down the road, your write up is on point!
Old Jan 28th 2016, 07:27 AM   #26

I Ride: 1199S
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post

Why is the radiator fan so important on a track-only bike?

I haven't yet tested the racing mod radiator I got installed over the winter but was constantly above 100 cels with the stock radiator and fan riding lightly... And had the fan removed from all my previous trackbikes with no issues as a consequence.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 08:54 AM   #27

Question How many dzus bodywork fasteners are required

My sub-frame has shipped and my track body work should ship from the painter next week.
In preparation for all of that, can anybody tell me how many dzus bodywork fasteners are required to fix the superbike tail, bellypan, and the front fairing?
I've bought a pack of six; but that likely won't do it and I want to bundle whatever else I need with my order of the Woodcraft lever guards and bar-ends so that I may take advantage of the free shipping.
Armour Bodies Dzus Bodywork Fastener Kit 6 Pack - Sportbike Track Gear
Again, thanks in advance!
Old Jan 28th 2016, 11:24 AM   #28

Thumbs up Delete plugs for headlights and tail-lights

Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Can you guys enlighten me as to what I will need when I eliminate the headlights and tail-lights as I progress with my track-bike conversion? I want the bike to operate without any error codes appearing on the dash.
(I plan to keep the side-stand and radiator fan.)
Links to products would be ideal.
Thanks in advance.
On the advice of a Forum member (Thanks Prince Albert), I sent a PM to another member here (jarlj), the GM of Ducati Omaha to get his input. With his permission, I post his helpful response below for the benefit of others who want to convert their road bike into a track bike.

"What you need is the "Ducati Racing Electric Connector Kit", it's what is shipped with the Ducati race bodywork kits. This will take care of all the dash errors, it's a complete kit for all of the lights, signals and sidestand. It's considered an OEM Part rather than an accessory, so you can buy it on our OEM parts page using the part number 96580011A, it's $26.99.

For $27 I figure its a good deal, and enables me to take Chaotic's advice (see post above) about the side-stand if I choose to do so. Although they are currently (Jan 28, 2016) sold out, they have 6 more kits already on the way from the warehouse in Bologna, so they should have them in a few days.

Parts ordering page is here: Ducati Omaha - Ducati OEM Parts Ordering System - Parts Fiche - Ducati Parts
Note: when checking out, enter the discount code "DUCPARTS" to get free shipping, since the order is over the $25 minimum required for ground shipping in the continental USA at no-charge.

UPDATE/EDIT courtesy of forum member "derblott"

"There's some misinformation in this thread. I just bought this kit myself and installed it. The 3 plugs are for:
1. Headlights
2. Radiator fan (the black one)
3. Kickstand delete (the triangular white one)

There is no plug for the taillight in this kit. I believe the "rear track fairing" kit from Ducati comes with one. But as mentioned above, you can simply disconnect the brake light switch relay to ensure the error never comes up on the dash. It's under the right hand side fairing."

UPDATE/EDIT courtesy of forum member "jarlj" for those of you who want to get the tail light plug instead of disconnecting the brake light switch.

"Yeah, you're right, I was thinking it was the whole kit but my parts department corrected me on it, there's an additional part number for the rear brake light plug. Part number: 96580021A $15.99"
Thanks from b9009b and derblott

Last edited by Styler; Feb 2nd 2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 11:56 AM   #29

I Ride: 1299S
Styler,

If you are going track-only, you may as well go all the way and install a bellypan in case you want to race. That is what I did, and it required the removal of the radiator fan. Wilkson also removed his, and it really shouldn't be an issue for a track only. It's in this huge plastic housing that is attached to the servo motor for the exhaust butterfly as well. Felt good pulling all that crap out from under there!

I'm also curious why Chris recommends you keep it?

For convenience without a kickstand, get a Baxley wheel chock to ride into at the pits! I thought I would really miss the kickstand but it hasn't been a big deal at all. I'm super curious how much weight I've saved doing the race conversion, my "stock parts crap pile" is getting pretty large and some of this shit is surprisingly heavy.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:02 PM   #30

Originally Posted by derblott View Post
Styler,

If you are going track-only, you may as well go all the way and install a bellypan in case you want to race. That is what I did, and it required the removal of the radiator fan. Wilkson also removed his, and it really shouldn't be an issue for a track only. It's in this huge plastic housing that is attached to the servo motor for the exhaust butterfly as well. Felt good pulling all that crap out from under there!

I'm also curious why Chris recommends you keep it?

For convenience without a kickstand, get a Baxley wheel chock to ride into at the pits! I thought I would really miss the kickstand but it hasn't been a big deal at all. I'm super curious how much weight I've saved doing the race conversion, my "stock parts crap pile" is getting pretty large and some of this shit is surprisingly heavy.
Interesting; yes, I did order the belly pan (Armour Bodies); however, there was never any mention of needing to eliminate the cooling fan. You see; I just keep learning!

Wheel chock; indeed, that is a good idea. I am starting to be swayed...

Ya; no doubt the bike is getting lighter. For example: I picked up the rear subframe with body panels, license pate holder and tail lights attached and that thing ways a ton (minor exaggeration). The new subframe weighs 2.9 pounds and I can't imagine the Armour Bodies superbike tail section weighs all that much.
Thanks from derblott

Last edited by Styler; Jan 28th 2016 at 01:02 PM.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
conversion, converted