Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree1Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 07:44 PM   #1

KTM dealers suck.

Just sharing an experience I've recently had. Very rarely does my bike go to any dealers- and the Ducati dealer is an hour from me. I needed a simple clutch plate installed and had never done one and knew from talking to others that it was easy for people that knew what they were doing- main issue being a bearing type thing in there that has to be popped in and out. So I do have a KTM dealer around here and hey KTMs are nice bikes- I figured it'd be a decent dealership. I drop my bike off there and get it back the following day(this was scheduled 2 weeks out- and still took two days for a 45 minute job) I get it back and it's leaking oil- tightened plug a bit thinking it was loose- still leaks call them and they didn't put the crush washer on- AND THEY KNEW THEY DIDNT. He didn't think it was a big deal. Next working on something else I notice my oil when standing straight up is filling the entire sight glass... And still only goes right under the min mark when on its side...Jesus how much oil did they put in it? How hard is it for dealer to do a simple oil change...����

Old Feb 22nd 2016, 09:41 PM   #2

I Ride: Panigale R | Streetfigther 848
Although, I never had a experience with KTM dealers, I wouldn't go as far as all KTM Dealers suck. Probably that one with those mechanics.

That does suck. Hate people who cant do their job....that's what you get paid to do...
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 12:48 AM   #3

My Ducati usually doesn't go to a KTM Dealership.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 01:00 AM   #4

I Ride: 1199 SL, 1199S Tri, 1299S Anni, MV Agusta F4 750, M1200S, M696, Husaberg FS650e, Petronas FP1
Very sorry to hear that
I know all KTM dealers around me, all very professional and competent (okay, Switzerland is placed directly next to Austria). Never had ANY issue with them. In contrary, they are very easy going and let you ride the shit out of their demo bikes. The best thing about KTM/Husaberg/Husquarna is that these bikes are really cheap in maintenance (due to the fact that their origin is from the dirt bike scene).

A missing seal is a rookie mistake!!! (mildly said, personally I think he's a ....)

Did you consider writing a complain to KTM directly?

Last edited by Gecko; Feb 23rd 2016 at 01:05 AM.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 03:44 AM   #5

MD and yeah mine doesn't either it's the first times it been in a shop other than Ducati- but they were things worth driving an hour to drop it off and than another hour to pick it up! I figured a very simple thing like this they would Be able to handle! Haha obviously not! I agree I'm sure most KTM dealers are what I initially expected them to be. I have had 0 good experiences with any dealers in my town. Kawi dealer messed up my triple tree when I wrecked my first bike when I was 18-got it back told them the steering was super tight and he said it was normal- going down the road and I'd hit my front brake and the whole triple with forks would shift forward and back! Than a simple tire swap turned into my rear brake getting stuck. Bunch of morons around here I tell ya! And yeah I'll be calling today. Bike won't be going back just going to tell them to refund my money and I'll do it myself- not trailering it back in there
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 04:48 AM   #6

I Ride: 2013 1199R, 2012 Streetfighter S, ST3
If you're anywhere close to Ducati Indy, I would just take it there...Hell, I drive from Columbus to Indy to have them service my bike when it's a larger job -- Matt is extremely meticulous and Tracy is getting his Level 2 certification next month. There aren't any slouches working at Indy and the level of service you get from non-Ducati certified techs in comparison is mediocre at best...hope you get your bike sorted out.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 05:38 AM   #7

I Ride: 2012 1199
If you haven't tried Commonwealth Motorcycles in Louisville give them a try. A bit of a a haul but might be worth it. They are a Ducati and a KTM dealer, and their service department has always treated me top notch. Any work I've had done so far has been same day - granted it's a 2-3 hour trip for me, but they're good.

I'm guessing your pic is turn 8 at Putnam?
Thanks from Tyler1199
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 05:44 AM   #8

I Ride: '12 1199S
Originally Posted by ghostdog6 View Post
If you haven't tried Commonwealth Motorcycles in Louisville give them a try. A bit of a a haul but might be worth it. They are a Ducati and a KTM dealer, and their service department has always treated me top notch. Any work I've had done so far has been same day - granted it's a 2-3 hour trip for me, but they're good.

+1 Been to Indy multiple times, I found them to be O.K. (my local mechanic in Cincinnati was by far the best experience I've ever had, so he set the bar high), but I will say that as far as "dealers" go, Commonwealth is well worth the drive
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 05:54 AM   #9

100% Indy has great guys and I also purchased a bike down in Louisville that was serviced by common wealth and talked to them about it before I picked it up- very knowledgable guys. Again if this was anything more than "very simple" job it would have gone down to Indy. I don't see how any motorcycle dealer can forget a crush washer and over fill the bike with oil. I talked to them today and they said he put more in it because of the head or some bs? I was like huh? Yeah your gunna oil the filter a bit but it's not going to be enough to make the whole Site glass up? And Than he blamed it on not being able to start it- and I said there's really no reason it needs to be checked when it's cold anyways? I don't know what's going on over there. Lesson learned!
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 05:56 AM   #10

Originally Posted by ghostdog6 View Post

Bingo!

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
dealers, ktm, suck