Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree2Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 7th 2016, 05:39 PM   #11

I bought one just in case mine fails again

UPDATE: problem persisted, it wasn't the whole bleeding the clutch situation, just a coincidence that the sensor started acting up after I bled the clutch. Just a faulty sensor, replaced it with another one and problem solved....! Easy to install, no need to re-calibrate or take it to dealership. Works like a charm now.

Last edited by rrgerman; Mar 14th 2016 at 10:31 AM.

Old Jun 25th 2016, 06:29 PM   #12

I Ride: 2018 Ducati Panigale V4S
Thanks for the info!

Saved me a ton of money!
Old May 18th 2017, 01:43 AM   #13

Just wanted to check back in after some time on the new sensor. I saw that you didn't bring it to the dealership for the "relearn" process. Is it still running without any issues?

Reason I ask is that my dealership is 2hrs away. I just had my bike there for the same issue and they assured me that if they reset the calibration for the sensor everything would be fixed...well, a week later and nothing is changed. They told me that it had to go back because a new gear position sensor would require a relearn or it wouldn't run correctly.

Thanks!!
Old Jul 17th 2017, 08:14 PM   #14

Originally Posted by bAby norAA View Post
Just wanted to check back in after some time on the new sensor. I saw that you didn't bring it to the dealership for the "relearn" process. Is it still running without any issues?

Reason I ask is that my dealership is 2hrs away. I just had my bike there for the same issue and they assured me that if they reset the calibration for the sensor everything would be fixed...well, a week later and nothing is changed. They told me that it had to go back because a new gear position sensor would require a relearn or it wouldn't run correctly.

Thanks!!
Sorry I just saw this... no need to re-calibrate anything. I replaced my faulty one with the one I purchased and ever since its been working perfectly (over a year already)
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 06:10 PM   #15

I Ride: 2012 1199S
got this error middle of last week, it was intermittent but it definitely showed up several times. after reading through this forum, today before going out to ride, i thought about little things i have messed with on the bike and i remember adjusting the stock clutch lever. lever was way out there and requires a lot of travel to get it going so a few weeks ago i had twisted it in quite a bit and after a few days it started to feel funny (very loose). so today i put it back and the error went away; haven't seen it all day when riding. hopefully it doesn't come back.

eta: gear sensor error came back, so that's not it; level was not the problem.

Last edited by kensteele; Jul 28th 2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 06:35 PM   #16

I Ride: red 2015 Multistrada
I remember that some people with this problem found that what gear you leave the bike parked in makes a difference. IIRC leaving it parked in neutral could sometimes cause this problem. Leaving it parked in 1st gear seemed to help. This is what I did from day one and never had this problem. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 06:06 AM   #17

stumbled on this old thread. my 899 display won't show neutral even if i can get the bike in neutral and i can't start it, could it be the gear sensor? where did you guys buy yours from? It jumps on the display from 1 to 2nd gear

Last edited by dewonguy; Dec 10th 2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 06:18 AM   #18

I Ride: 1199 Panigale
The GPS (Gearbox Position Sensor) can experience an intermittent or complete failure. Typically, if the GPS is perceived to be faulty when the ignition is keyed "ON," the dash pad will show a Gear Sensor error, an EOBD indication, a "-" in the gear window, EBC will turn off, and DQS will turn off. Regardless of what is displayed on the dash, the vehicle should start with the side stand in the up position and the clutch pulled in. However, fueling will be off the mark as the bike doesn't know what gear it's in. For the 1199, the OEM replacement part number is 552.4.161.2C and it sells for approximately $150.00. Different owners have had different experiences when replacing the sensor. When I replaced the sensor, the new sensor took to the bike without any problems. Others have had to reteach the bike after installing a new sensor. Search the internet for Ducati's "Tips & Tricks Bulletin SRV-TTB-16-003" if you have to reteach your bike.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 03:11 PM   #19

I am 100% sure this is temperature related. I live in So Cal and only just now experienced the issue with morning commute in the mid 50 degrees F, and only when the bike is warming up for about 2-3 mins and then the bike will read which gear it is in. I am going to pull the sensor and see if any debris has accumulated on the sensor. I may reteach the system if needed, I guess it doesn't hurt to re learn the shift points after a 10+k miles. If these don't remedy I'm going to order the sensor. Seems like it may be an early sensor issue as I have not seen anyone coming back to have to replace a second time.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 05:17 PM   #20

I Ride: 2012 1199S
Originally Posted by Tj Hunter View Post
I am 100% sure this is temperature related. I live in So Cal and only just now experienced the issue with morning commute in the mid 50 degrees F, and only when the bike is warming up for about 2-3 mins and then the bike will read which gear it is in. I am going to pull the sensor and see if any debris has accumulated on the sensor. I may reteach the system if needed, I guess it doesn't hurt to re learn the shift points after a 10+k miles. If these don't remedy I'm going to order the sensor. Seems like it may be an early sensor issue as I have not seen anyone coming back to have to replace a second time.
personally i wouldn't bother, if it done, it's done. just get a new one, it's fairly inexpensive and it works for sure when you replace with a new one. when the sensor doesn't work, it's a crappy ride so why bother with chancing it?

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
error, gear, sensor

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.